SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:54 AM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Gunfighter Vid

Maiden flight of my new PZ P-51 BL BNF. This is before the rudder servo install which will be in action tomorow.

Parkzone P- 51 NEW v2 BL BNF Gunfighter Maiden Flight (3 min 46 sec)

I have never owned an R/C Airplane so this is all first flight, first hand-launch, first landing etc. Who says it's not a plane for noobs It's just a great flying plane!

Njoy!
Pheralcat is offline Find More Posts by Pheralcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2009, 06:19 AM
Joined May 2009
103 Posts
a lot braver than I am for a new guy I won't take my corsair below 50 feet unless I'm landing
sbeirs is offline Find More Posts by sbeirs
Old Jul 03, 2009, 06:43 AM
RC Newbie.
Eastern PA
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
3200 mha Lipo? No problem.

Maidened my P-51 stock last night. Great performance, though very nose heavy. 10 clicks worth, in fact.

Took it home and made very *minor* modifications to fit a 3200 lipo.

Flew this morning for 23 minutes. No issues. None.

Observations:

- Launch was still super quick, no stalls, dips, or roll tendencies - toss it level and t's just gone.
- With trims zeroed and elevator rigged flat, it flew perfectly straight & level at 80% power. CoG is at the little ovals.
- Sustained 75 degree climbs, great inverted, power to spare
- The battery was mounted directly in the thrust line. No tipping tendencies. Rolls were as axial as with the 1320 mha stock battery, maybe a little better.
- Flight time more than doubled. I was tired of flying when the LVC kicked in.
- Landing was fine. I was concerned I'd have to land fast, but that just wasn't the case. If the stock landing speed is a "3", the new landing speed is a "4". Still no tendencies to drop a wing or fall out of the sky. The grass was wet this morning, and it still came to a stop in less than 3 feet.

I'll post pics of the mod soon. It's very simple, requires no additional materials, and takes about 15 minutes.

Happy Independence Day!
IIIAWOLIII is offline Find More Posts by IIIAWOLIII
Last edited by IIIAWOLIII; Jul 03, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 07:57 AM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
So any other recommendations for a motor setup that would be equal to the Turnigy 35-36C from a domestic source for $25-30 bucks? I plan on running 2200 3S 20C packs with the other prop.
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:20 AM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Aileron Setup

Hey guys, I am a plank noob. If y'all don't mind, I have a question about the Aileron setup.

I got all control surfaces perfectly straight and the plane flies great as you can see in my video above, However while adjusting the ailerons, I noticed that from the factory...the LEFT aileron clevis is attached to the FOURTH hole on the servo horn. but the RIGHT clevis is attached to the FIFTH servo horn.

My question is should they not be the same, either both clevis on 4th or both 5th hole on aileron servos? I am thinking they should be and will try it today, but would like confirmation form a more experience airplane pilot.

THANKS
Ken (pheral cat)

PS - I installed the rudder servo and will try and fly today and let you know.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:41 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,951 Posts
Yep, the aileron linkages should be connected to the same hole on the aileron horns.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:42 AM
RC Newbie.
Eastern PA
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
My question is should they not be the same, either both clevis on 4th or both 5th hole on aileron servos?
You'd expect both clevises to be installed in the same control horn hole, but that's assuming both control horns and servos are installed symetrically.

I'd bet this was just an assembly oversight. Measure and compare deflection of each aileron if you want to be 100% sure, though.
IIIAWOLIII is offline Find More Posts by IIIAWOLIII
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:56 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Ken,

Yes, the ailerons should be on the same hole. You have a bit of differential going - you will probably have a bit of yaw to one side when banking. You can go further in on the control horns as you gain experience. Make small adjustments and go slow.

I liked your video. Holy cow! A loop on your first flight ever, before you even completed one circuit!!!! Not sure I would recommend this practice!

For first flights, I always make a couple flat passes at altitude. This allows me to trim her out, and make sure everything is working as advertised. I also make a couple low speed passes (at altitude) so I know what she is going to do when I slow down to land. Remember, takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. Only then will I try goofing. This is just my opinion and advice though! Not meant as a criticism!

Also be careful flying behind you. It is easy to get disoriented and loose track of where obstacles are. It is much easier to keep it in front of an imaginary line all the time.

And WHAT THE HECK WENT AFTER YOU???? It looked like the killer rabbit from The Holy Grail! You're lucky you still have your head!
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jul 03, 2009, 10:00 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverflyhehe
So any other recommendations for a motor setup that would be equal to the Turnigy 35-36C from a domestic source for $25-30 bucks? I plan on running 2200 3S 20C packs with the other prop.
I put the Suppo 2814/06 on my Sea Fury and it works good, but I'm not sure how it compares to the stock. It does pull better then a Park 450. Honestly, you may want to try the stock motor with that battery pack and an 11x7 prop. It really does pull pretty good and is easier on the batteries than the 35-36C.

If I re-motor this, I will probably go to a 1400 kv version looking for more speed.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 10:28 AM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Thanks for the aileron setup help :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
Ken,

Yes, the ailerons should be on the same hole. You have a bit of differential going - you will probably have a bit of yaw to one side when banking. You can go further in on the control horns as you gain experience. Make small adjustments and go slow.

I liked your video. Holy cow! A loop on your first flight ever, before you even completed one circuit!!!! Not sure I would recommend this practice!

For first flights, I always make a couple flat passes at altitude. This allows me to trim her out, and make sure everything is working as advertised. I also make a couple low speed passes (at altitude) so I know what she is going to do when I slow down to land. Remember, takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. Only then will I try goofing. This is just my opinion and advice though! Not meant as a criticism!

Also be careful flying behind you. It is easy to get disoriented and loose track of where obstacles are. It is much easier to keep it in front of an imaginary line all the time.

And WHAT THE HECK WENT AFTER YOU???? It looked like the killer rabbit from The Holy Grail! You're lucky you still have your head!
Thanks Ronin4740 and IIIAWOLIII, I really appreciate everyone's help. I thought so too. Sometimes engineers get it right and noobs shouldn't change it, sometimes it's just a minor miss on Q&As part. Thanks for keeping me straight, I will fix it right now!

Ugly John, you are totally correct. noobs shouldn't do what I did. But I was so scared to turn it the first time, I just went full power and pulled back to buy altitude and avoid a fly away :P LOL!

I am experienced at TREX 450 sport flying and have some FAA airplane certs so I understand very how these things fly...BUT I sure wish I had someone like you there who is experienced in R/C planes to help & advise me! That would have made my first flight even better I am sure!

Thanks again guys! Time for a pre-lunch launch !
-Ken
Last edited by Pheralcat; Jul 03, 2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typos
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:10 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Flying with a buddy is so much more fun. It's always nice to have someone witness your crashes so they can keep reminding you of how you screwed up!

Well, as long as that person is another RC pilot so you can bust on them too!

I really like having a spotter with me too. Like last night I was at the Junior High flying, when my buddy warned me about a kid coming over. Where he was walking was where I was making my low altitude passes. So, I was able to keep away from him and stay safe.

The kid (probably about 11 or 12) actually came up and asked if he could hang out with us. I told him sure, but he had to stay nearby so I knew where he was. He kept talking about how much he loved flying. My buddy and I were telling him about getting started with a Super Cub and where to find one. It always fun being able to share with someone that is interested.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:01 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
BigTonE's Park Zone BNF Maiden Flight #2 !

Guys!

Had a blast Video recording BigTonE's Maiden Flight #2 at Moon Port Modelers RC Club at Titusville, Florida (Space Coast).

He flew it like he stole it! Just a fantastic flyer!

Here's the VIDEO!

Park Zone P 51D Mustang BNF BigTonE Flight #2 07 03 09 (6 min 23 sec)
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:03 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Okay,

I am going to quite uploading my Videos at YouTube because it came out really bad, very low resolution and there is the missing hand toss? They actually truncated the dang video!

I will upload it to VIMEO hold!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:08 PM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Guys!

Had a blast Video recording BigTonE's Maiden Flight #2 at Moon Port Modelers RC Club at Titusville, Florida (Space Coast).

He flew it like he stole it! Just a fantastic flyer!

Here's the VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slc0dzWmL5E
He is an excellent pilot for sure!

But you are to be commended too! Your video work was great. I wish I could get video that good, nice clear colors, mostly in focus. You can see this Gunfighter very well as it maneuvers through 4 point rolls. Sweet!
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:20 PM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
Flying with a buddy is so much more fun. It's always nice to have someone witness your crashes so they can keep reminding you of how you screwed up!

Well, as long as that person is another RC pilot so you can bust on them too!

I really like having a spotter with me too. Like last night I was at the Junior High flying, when my buddy warned me about a kid coming over. Where he was walking was where I was making my low altitude passes. So, I was able to keep away from him and stay safe.

The kid (probably about 11 or 12) actually came up and asked if he could hang out with us. I told him sure, but he had to stay nearby so I knew where he was. He kept talking about how much he loved flying. My buddy and I were telling him about getting started with a Super Cub and where to find one. It always fun being able to share with someone that is interested.
Hey, that is a really good point. It helps a ton to have a spotter to warn you of people who might get into the flying area and not realize the dangers.

Once this jogger came up behind me while I was learning to hover my Trex. She said, "That's So Cool", and it scared me so bad cuz I was concentrating so hard I nearly dropped my DX6i! If you ever tried to hover you know what I mean :P. Also this is why I now always use a neck strap on the radio.

TTYL!