HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:31 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76
On my jets flaps cause the nose to drop as well.
What kind of jet, big delta wing, flaps far aft, I could see that.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:17 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
What kind of jet, big delta wing, flaps far aft, I could see that.

Delta wing, swept wing, (262 or sabre). Just about any I have used always drop the nose. Lots of up elevator needed.

Reguardless, I just put 2 more flights on mine over lunch. I set the throws to the max I can get, flies much better now. Now I just need to gut my corsiar and put the esc in the mustang, geta bigger prop and it will fly much nicer than it already does.

I was at the local HS with a friend who was buying a plane. The kid kept trying to sell him the mustang as it is "easier" to fly than the corsair.

All I can sayy is BULL. While both are EASY to fly, the corsair slows down much slower, as well as it it slows down if you cut the throttle. Dang near flies like a parachute. Must be those bent wings.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:04 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
Static tests.

I did some with the stock prop & the Corsair/T-28 prop. The set up I'm running is stock except for the ESC. It's a Super Tigre 30amp.

Results:

#1 9.5x7.5 prop
Super Tigre 1500map 15C lipo
16A 10.6V
173W 144map

#2 9.5x7.5 prop
PZ 1300map 15C lipo
17A 11V
185W 83map

#3 9.5x7.5 prop
Dualsky 2200map 25C lipo
18A 11.8V
213W 88map

#4 9x6 prop (stock)
15A 10V
165W 40map

#5 9x6 prop (stock)
PZ 1300map 15C lipo
16A 11V
180W 44map

#6 9x6 prop (stock)
Dualsky 2200map 25C lipo
17.3A 11.7V
200W 150map

All look pretty safe to me, but the real test is when flying and everything settles in.

As far as spoilers, flaps and all that. In stock to slightly modified set ups, I don't see any need for them. True the plane coasts forever trying to land, but you just have to get her slow before final. I haven't had any issues with stalls unless I just make a bad approach. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best flying planes in it's class. 19 flights so far, all absolutely 100% perfect. She's a thrill!!!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76
Delta wing, swept wing, (262 or sabre). Just about any I have used always drop the nose. Lots of up elevator needed.

Regaurdless, I just put 2 more flights on mine over lunch. I set the throws to the max I can get, flies much better now. Now I just need to gut my corsiar and put the esc in the mustang, geta bigger prop and it will fly much nicer than it already does.

I was at the local HS with a friend who was buying a plane. The kid kept trying to sell him the mustang as it is "easier" to fly than the corsair.

All I can sayy is BULL. While both are EASY to fly, the corsair slows down much slower, as well as it it slows down if you cut the throttle. Dang near flies like a parachute. Must be those bent wings.
Sky - I have three P-51bl's and two Corsairs. All in different battery motor configurations. I have read all of the posts on RCGroups regarding the P-51BL and the Corsair. Well over a thousand pages. It is safe to say that you are not alone in belivieving the Corsair is easier to fly and if the criteria was how quickly the plane slows down, the Corsiar would win, hands down - however...

My take is that I give the P-51 a nudge when it comes to determining which plane is easier to fly. The reason being is that thier are many factors. Easier to me means less stress and less stress means less crashes.

Many people have tried to explain this in their posts, so here is my version:

The floaty nature of the Corsair actually makes it harder to fly than the some what speedier flight of the P-51. On an absolute perfect, calm day, I might be tempted to call the planes even, but factor in the slightest wind and the P-51 wins hands down.

The floaty nature of the Corsair makes it prone to bouncing around a lot or side slipping and drifting in the wind. No problem in a very experienced fliers hands with his TX dialed in perfect, but put the plane on a stock DX5e with someone that has little experience and the constant moving around the plane does is hard to manage and very stressfull to fly.

On the other hand, the P-51BL flys like it is on rails. Throw in a little wind and no worries, still flies like it is on rails. Do a low pass 15 ft off the ground and it holds. Line up the runway and it holds a straight line. Throw a snap roll and it comes out straight as an arrow Try to do those things with the Corsair (especially at slow speeds) and you better be on top of those sticks. The Corsair is constantly moving and jumping around.

Additionally, I am not saying the P-51 won't fly slow. If you stay with the stock set up, it won't float like the Corsair, but it comes darn close.

My solution: GET BOTH!
jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
Last edited by jake48; Aug 25, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:46 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
I agree!!! The Corsair or T-28 is better for a beginner in warbirds, but the Pony flys the most stable.

After about 10 flights with the F4U or T-28, you'll be ready for the Mustang.

Buy both!!

I'm still thinking of getting the Corsair, but I'm also planning a second Mustang. Decisions suck eggs. Where's that darn winning lottery ticket???
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:19 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
Ok guy I had to check. I put in my 1350 propower and checked static ampdraw. This is with a bone stock PZ brushless p51.
(watts up meter)
241.7watts
11.94volts
20.03amps

This test was done for 20seconds at wot. The amps stayed above the 18amp the whole time. I guess the better battery can allow the motor to pull more poer than the esc can handle. I guess I have been very lucky .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
Static tests.

I did some with the stock prop & the Corsair/T-28 prop. The set up I'm running is stock except for the ESC. It's a Super Tigre 30amp.

Results:

#1 9.5x7.5 prop
16A 10.6V
173W 144map

#2 9.5x7.5 prop
PZ 1300map 15C lipo
17A 11V
185W 83map

#3 9.5x7.5 prop
Dualsky 2200map 25C lipo
18A 11.8V
213W 88map

#4 9x6 prop (stock)
15A 10V
165W 40map

#5 9x6 prop (stock)
PZ 1300map 15C lipo
16A 11V
180W 44map

#6 9x6 prop (stock)
Dualsky 2200map 25C lipo
17.3A 11.7V
200W 150map

All look pretty safe to me, but the real test is when flying and everything settles in.

As far as spoilers, flaps and all that. In stock to slightly modified set ups, I don't see any need for them. True the plane coasts forever trying to land, but you just have to get her slow before final. I haven't had any issues with stalls unless I just make a bad approach. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best flying planes in it's class. 19 flights so far, all absolutely 100% perfect. She's a thrill!!!!

Was that on a full charge for each battery? I got alot more power than you 100% stock and you see what I got with the 1350s. Wonder why I am putting out so much more power

EDIT: forgot to ask what does the map stand for?
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDale
Sure it's Cat. No. 286 2-1/2" Dia. Spinner. I dry-fit it yesterday cause I'm still waiting on my new ESC but I think it'll look sweet!
Thank you. With the spinner can you toss away the stock base as well?
MrEWorm is offline Find More Posts by MrEWorm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:23 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
i know someone has already posted this but
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3680
would you guys recommend this as a aileron trainer?
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity
i know someone has already posted this but
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3680
would you guys recommend this as a aileron trainer?
Anti - Turhfully, I just got into flying Rc after not flying a thing for over twenty years and never having flown an aileron plane. My first plane into this sport was the Corsair. After three uncessful flights I came to the realization that what I was doing was not going to work any time soon and was probably going to cost me a lot of time and $$$.

After looking at the options I decided to go ahead and invest in a flight SIM program . I practiced every day, 1.5 to 2 hours day for 5 days straight. On the fourth flight with my Corsair it was night and day. I flew just fine. I was amazed at how close it was to the flight simulator. I can't reccomend this enough.

I also have the PZ Sukhoi and yeah, you can practice ailerons on it, but truthfully you will go a lot further and WAY faster towards mastering ailerons with a flight simulator.

More than likely you will end up with both (The Micro P-51 and a simulator) so you might as well get the simulator first and save yourself a lot of headache and repairs
jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:38 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake48
Anti - Turhfully, I just got into flying Rc after not flying a thing for over twenty years and never having flown an aileron plane. My first plane into this sport was the Corsair. After three uncessful flights I came to the realization that what I was doing was not going to work any time soon and was probably going to cost me a lot of time and $$$.

After looking at the options I decided to go ahead and invest in a flight SIM program . I practiced every day, 1.5 to 2 hours day for 5 days straight. On the fourth flight with my Corsair it was night and day. I flew just fine. I was amazed at how close it was to the flight simulator. I can't reccomend this enough.

I also have the PZ Sukhoi and yeah, you can practice ailerons on it, but truthfully you will go a lot further and WAY faster towards mastering ailerons with a flight simulator.

More than likely you will end up with both (The Micro P-51 and a simulator) so you might as well get the simulator first and save yourself a lot of headache and repairs
ok thanks jake-
just wanted your opinion because, well its better than my own if you now what i mean
what would you reccomment as a cheap but realistic sim and i if i were to get one i would like to use my Dx5e with it if at all possible
and one more question would it be a good idea to use the Dx5e as a tx with the mustang (ultra micro) because i know it doesnt have expo and stuff but then neither does the one that comes with the RTF package
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam

Moonbeam-
I do agree with you, not necessary at all. Buuuut since its so easy to do, why not right? just makes calm days with smaller areas more manageable!

Antigravity-
I agree with Jake. get a sim. After i trashed my first trojan (was told it was a perfect trainer for no experience), i got a flight sim and about a week later, i had the confidence to try flying again. Still small crashes here and there, but for the most part controlled flights and its great when the weather isnt cooperating!
Nickbm3 is offline Find More Posts by Nickbm3
Last edited by Nickbm3; Aug 25, 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:45 PM
USA, FL,
Joined Dec 2008
329 Posts
totally the truth..get the sim....my first plane ever was the pk corsair and with some buddy box hookup i could tell i wasnt ready so i got a cheap sim and in 1 week it made 100% diffrence, my collection of planes have grown in 6 months, i had some rash's hear and there but im flying wood and balsa with great confidence now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake48

Driggs is offline Find More Posts by Driggs
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
Quote:
would it be a good idea to use the Dx5e as a tx with the mustang (ultra micro) because i know it doesnt have expo and stuff but then neither does the one that comes with the RTF package
I would recommend trying to get a DX6i when you can.
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverflyhehe
I would recommend trying to get a DX6i when you can.
easy for you to say

what sim would you guys reccommend?
FS1???
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
USA, FL,
Joined Dec 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
easy for you to say

what sim would you guys reccommend?