HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:13 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,860 Posts
10x8

i luv the 10x8 MAS dont get me wrong...BUT...If you put in a hotter motor, T-28 prop will give great performance. Even with stock motor and bigger ESC T-28/Corsair prop gives good boost.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:00 AM
Registered "e" Flyer
Monterey Park, CA
Joined Dec 2007
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
Finally got my motor mount so my Petie 2nd is ready for her maiden whenever the winds calm down around here.
What color paints and types are you guys using? I remember when I painted my Trojan it bubbled really bad.
CGReload is offline Find More Posts by CGReload
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:21 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,111 Posts
Sorry if it's already been mentioned. I intend to read the whole thread later.

A 1300mAH LiPo ? I would have thought that a bird this size would normally have a 2200mAH LiPo so how does it go with a 1300 ? I would expect running times to be low with such a pack. Also, research suggests that they recommend the PZ1033 which seems to be only a 15C so it looks like the 480 motor isn't drawing that much current.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:59 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdudeuk

A 1300mAH LiPo ? I would have thought that a bird this size would normally have a 2200mAH LiPo so how does it go with a 1300 ? I would expect running times to be low with such a pack. Also, research suggests that they recommend the PZ1033 which seems to be only a 15C so it looks like the 480 motor isn't drawing that much current.
1300 on stock motor and prop has plenty of run time...
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:05 AM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGReload
What color paints and types are you guys using? I remember when I painted my Trojan it bubbled really bad.
The blue is Krylon Fusion plastic safe and the silver is regular Krylon Matte Aluminum with a gloss clear overcoat. Nothings bubbled up yet
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:04 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
Quote:

The stock battery runs fine with about 8 to 10 mins flying time. It only pull about 18amps
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:46 AM
Western New York
Joined Mar 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
I put my Gunfighter up this evening with the Headuprc.com 480 Plus and DonsRC pentium 40 amp esc/MAS 10x8 prop on Flightmax 20c 1800. I wanted to get pics and video but two of my children went with me and it was too hectic. The plane flew great with LOTS of speed with the hammer down gettin low and fast. I thought my Corsair was fast with same motor and Stock Prop, but after the Stang it feels like more of a floater. Only prob I had with the Stang was the spinner vibrated too much. I confirmed this by taking the spinner off and running up the throttle. FLew great but made an aweful buzz. I will replace spinner with a better unit. I need to be more maticulous about balanceing my props too. It wont get flown again for a few months as I am going on a 4 month business trip soon, but when I return it will get the APC 9x9. Aside from the Stang, my 5yr old son and I were doing the buddy box thing with DX6i and DX5e on my BRushless/aileron HZ cub and when I was looking down at his transmitter to adjust his throttle setting he did a crazy dive and pitch up that broke the strut hooks and folded the wing. Put it straight into the ground. Minor scrapes and it will rise again eventually with some new parts.
FLew great but made an aweful buzz

I was flying the same motor with the Power-up 60Amp and she tore up the sky!! One word of caution tho- make SURE the "buzz" you're hearing IS the spinner and NOT the motor! I kept hearing something similar and ended up with a FRIED ESC!! I don't know if it was my soldering or the motor but whatever it was I had an onboard fire!!! I was lucky that I had the plane in my hands (trying to figure out the "chattering" noise) when it dead-shorted so I was able to rip it out of the plane. Only thing I lost was the ESC and my RX-musta sent a jolt up-line to it! HeadsupRC was GREAT about working with me on the problem (considering it was probably my fault) and I've got a new ESC on the way. I'll be double checking my connections at least once a week and after EVERY hard landing from now on!!

As far as the spinner goes- I've given up on the stock ones!! For another $1.50 I can get a sweet du-bro that looks great and STAYS ON!!!
AirDale is offline Find More Posts by AirDale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:23 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDale
FLew great but made an aweful buzz

As far as the spinner goes- I've given up on the stock ones!! For another $1.50 I can get a sweet du-bro that looks great and STAYS ON!!!
Do you know the part number on the spinner?
MrEWorm is offline Find More Posts by MrEWorm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:06 AM
Western New York
Joined Mar 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEWorm
Do you know the part number on the spinner?
Sure it's Cat. No. 286 2-1/2" Dia. Spinner. I dry-fit it yesterday cause I'm still waiting on my new ESC but I think it'll look sweet!
AirDale is offline Find More Posts by AirDale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:05 AM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbm3
For anyone with heavier p-51's who may be interested...

Tried Flaperons today (ended up being spoilerons i guess). At first i had them set to pop the ailerons down, which caused it to nose down a little and start dropping altitude, thought that was odd so i set them to pop up and it works beautiful! Comes in nice and slow and controlable, id guess it cut maybe a third off the landing length.

I know she lands fine in stock form, but im using 2200 25C battery which adds alot of weight, and the E-flite motor has almost no resistance to freewheeling.

Can someone explain why it worked better as spoilerons? it did slow it down alot, but also really seemed to float.

Spoilerons will help decrease lift at the wing tips which is giving you the new landingbehavior you described and will help prevent slow speed stalling. I believe that's its a good idea to add a slight amount of spoilerons when hand launching to help the A/C settle nice and level.

Flaperons will cause nose down without using up elevator. Most people mix some Flap to elevator offset to prevent this behavior. Flaperons should increase lift and allow slower speed flight and landings but can increase tip stalling tendencies on wings with ailerons out toward the tips.
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
The stock battery runs fine with about 8 to 10 mins flying time. It only pull about 18amps
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaRendezvous
1300 on stock motor and prop has plenty of run time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMARK
Got my new Gunny this week Really pleased need to sort out the flight times though only getting 7 mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake48
If you run WOT, especially with any kind of wind, around seven min sounds about right, maybe a couple of more. I tried to get a third flight in on the stock battery, flying around 4 min a flight and on the third try I puffed the battery within the first two min. of the third try...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler
If you use throttle management you can get 20min flights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Seven minutes is exactly on expectation for the stock 1300 battery.
Netdude - I took the ALL of the above quotes from this thread. As you can see, there are numerous experiences with the stock plane and battery. For me, on this subject, the more I read, the less I seem to know.

One thing for sure I will tell you is that when the world of what a battery is supposed to do collides with what really happens in the real world, the result is often not what was expected.

Be weary of people making claims of 10 minutes or more for the stock set up. I almost lost my plane to a puffed battery around 9 min. The best I can tell is that wind, heat, how long you run wide open or how many times you run the plane/battery in a row all can have a factor on the battery run time.

With the 18amp ESC the margin for error is small. Make the mistake of propping up, even just a little or using the wrong battery and you will fry the electronics. Get insurance and go to a bigger ESC if you are going to play around with batteries and props.

I have tried the stock set up, numerous props with 30 and 40 amp ESC's and the following batteries: 1300 3s 25c, 1750 3s 25c, 1800 3s 15c, 2200 3s 20c and 2250 3s 25c. Even though I am sure I could get run times over ten minutes on some of the set ups I never really push beyond ten minutes just to be safe.

Every ones different, but I have to say, I keep going back to the stock prop, 30AMP ESC and either the stock battery or my favorite the 1300 3s 25c. I have not tried the 1500 3s 20c and I think this would be a great battery too.

The plane likes a lighter battery moved back in the fuse and unless you are one of those guys who likes to run WOT all the time I think you will find the lighter batteries make the plane fly unbelievably well.

Good Luck...
jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:25 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDale
I haven't had any problems with my spinner comming off. Probably 12-15 flights. I think the problem comes mainly when we change out from the OEM prop. If you put the spinner on and the base is warped a bit the cone will not snap on solid. Using my Turnigy prop adapter and an APC 11x7e prop, I had to cut the prop holes bigger in the base. It still wouldn't sit flush on the prop(the way the E prop is designed). So I had to put the prop on, then the prop washer(for some more clearance), then the spinner base, then the prop nut, then the snap on cone. It's perfectly flat and its actually hard to get it to pop off. The spinner has zero wobble.

I got one of these for my Pulse 25e, this would be the top of the line IMO. The collet is built in to the spinner(thus basically 2 pieces). The cone is held on with an allen screw thats threaded into the prop shaft. Very nice looking on a plane. They do cost more and it comes with a 4mm and 5mm collet.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLSP200
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
I think you may have some of this backwards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60
Spoilerons will help decrease lift at the wing tips which is giving you the new landingbehavior you described and will help prevent slow speed stalling. I believe that's its a good idea to add a slight amount of spoilerons when hand launching to help the A/C settle nice and level.
Spoilerons decrease lift...correct. This will not prevent slow speed stalling, actually it should increase slow speed stalling, especially tip stalls. A wings lift has the greatest leverage near the tips, take this away and it will become unstable. I use CROW on my MUS, but crow offsets one with the other, lots of drag but the lift is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60
Flaperons will cause nose down without using up elevator. Most people mix some Flap to elevator offset to prevent this behavior. Flaperons should increase lift and allow slower speed flight and landings but can increase tip stalling tendencies on wings with ailerons out toward the tips.
Your first sentence tells me you do not have a plane with flaps or flaperons. Flaps on these light planes sends the nose up. Try it, check out my videos. The cure is to mix DOWN elevator when flaps are deployed. I don't mix down because I was only deploy flaps with little or no throttle and while shooting an approach. I flew a plane this morning with flaps around 7:00am. By increasing lift at the tips, you can only be decreasing the change for a tip stall.

Now in a real Cessna, full flaps will cause the nose to go down a bit, but these little foamys are not fully scaled planes. IE my T-28 will take off in 15 feet or about 5 plane lenghts, I don't think a real T-28 can take off in 5 lenghts. I should say without the aid of a steam driven catapult!!

Thanks,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:52 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
On my jets flaps cause the nose to drop as well.

Flaperons are great for some of my higher wing loading stuff. But honestly, these little fomies don't have a scale wing loading and flaps are not necessary at all. The thing will basically stop in the air anyways and I have yet to ever induce a tip stall except at near 0 air speed, as in less than 5 MPH.

Now if you load teh stang down with say a couple of 2200 mAh lipos or on my case, cover it with metal tape, yes flaps may be useful.

I may opt to put a couple 1800s in mine, there is room and I think it would make it fly much more scale assuming the frame is up to it.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Your first sentence tells me you do not have a plane with flaps or flaperons. Flaps on these light planes sends the nose up.
Hi Rob,
Kilo actually mentioned flaperons pointing the nose down. Which they do as i experienced yesterday, i didnt try adding up elevator to compensate though, which i will try soon. Regular flaps, yes of course your correct. I had regular flaps on my t-28. I did a little reading on flaperons/spoilerons yesterday, and from what i understood, the plane acted pretty much opposite. I mean it was all just an experiment anyway since it was easy enough to set up, but i was pleasantly surprised at the outcome of the spoilerons! I still want to try flaperons with up elevator, but for now im pretty happy! Like i said before, for a heavier plane this is great, ALSO for zero wind to land into.
Nickbm3 is offline Find More Posts by Nickbm3
Last edited by Nickbm3; Aug 25, 2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo