SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone P-51 Gunfighter Speed Contest! It's ON! Official record: sbchero 152 mph!

The Gunfighter is shipping!!

Thanks to the efforts of Papabatman and many others, we have seen the superb Parkzone Corsair taken to surprising power levels and speeds despite the extremely draggy airframe.

Now we have a new, sleeker Parkzone Z-Foam warbird to play with!

Is anyone game for a speed contest? .

EDIT:

It's time to establish some standards for the speed contest! Please let me know if you think we should add anything to the rules or if any of them are unreasonable.

This contest will have to work on the honor system and since there can be little satisfaction in winning by fudging your numbers, I trust that you guys will do the honorable thing and keep it clean.

The current record holder will have their name in the subject line along with their reading!

Please list your equipment in as much detail as possible- power system (with motor kv, amp draw/watts), prop (measurements and style/brand), battery (specs and brand), and any airframe mods (glassing, reinforcing, etc), Any secrets in the info will get you an "*" next to your record.

Please list your approxamate starting altitude above sea level and the weather conditions at the time of your flight.

Speeds can be measured by GPS, Air speed instruments, dopplar readings (though that might be tricky with these relatively quiet planes) or any other scientifically repeatable methods. Please share your specific testing methods and explain how you got your data.

When using GPS, please perform both up-wind and down-wind passes and average the readings. We're interested in air speed here, not ground speed.

Please perform your test passes as close to level as possible.

Posting a video of your record setting pass will give you credibility but everyone around here seems trustworthy so it will not be a requirement.

If you get a fast measurement or any kind of data at all (including a stock baseline) please share. I'm sure everyone will be interested in your findings even if you're not the fastest!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Last edited by Smokescreen38; Apr 19, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:51 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
You're one step ahead of me. I was just going to change out the ESC and a larger 3S battery to start. I was considering going with a 9x9 prop to see what it might do. It might be pretty hot considering the small frontal area of the fuse.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:55 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
You're one step ahead of me. I was just going to change out the ESC and a larger 3S battery to start. I was considering going with a 9x9 prop to see what it might do. It might be pretty hot considering the small frontal area of the fuse.
Sounds like a great starting point!

I think the biggest areas of concern will be:

The strength of the wings (particularly when we start stuffing bigger and bigger packs in there)

The quality of the surface finish and how badly it will need to be glassed, etc

The cooling available to the motor/esc.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:01 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
im going to slap on a stock pz 30A esc, 2200 lipo and stock corsair prop.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
Sounds like a great starting point!

I think the biggest areas of concern will be:

The strength of the wings (particularly when we start stuffing bigger and bigger packs in there)

The quality of the surface finish and how badly it will need to be glassed, etc

The cooling available to the motor/esc.

I think all of these except for the cooling air will be very similar to the F4U and T-28
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:24 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace308
im going to slap on a stock pz 30A esc, 2200 lipo and stock corsair prop.

I just don't know about the prop adaptor - whether it has the same 8mm bore that the Corsair does.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
I just don't know about the prop adaptor - whether it has the same 8mm bore that the Corsair does.
The prop adapter on the corsair is a monster... I can only assume that if the Mustang was properly designed, it wouldn't need that boat anchor on the front of it.

Anyone else remember the double-nut that you had to put on the FW-190? Then again, these 1:1 scale shapes balanced because of the monstrous engines in the nose. I suppose we can't fault them for cheating with some nose weight.

Anyway, I suspect that many competing in a speed contest will be looking into higher kv motors and therefore will have a different set of prop concerns.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:43 PM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
Does anyone know if I'm correct in that the mounting holes for the Park 480 and the Power 10 are exactly the same?

I have some E-Flite planes that call for the Park 480, but I opted for the Power 10 instead. If the stock motor on this Mustang is the same as the E-Flite Park 480, I might consider replacing it with a Power 10, new ESC, prop, lipo, etc which would have the potential to really scream!
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:54 PM
Foam bounces...
SA, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
608 Posts
No glassing allowed, that's cheating.
Turbs is offline Find More Posts by Turbs
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:04 PM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
LOL!! Glassing would be interesting to try! But, if anything, I'll probably just add a little bit of carbon fiber on the wings and maybe tail. I'm just not ambitious enough to glass.

By the way, I'm definitely IN on the speed contest. Heck, maybe I'll epoxy a couple of EDF fans on the back end of this baby. LOL!!
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:13 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwilkins
LOL!! Glassing would be interesting to try! But, if anything, I'll probably just add a little bit of carbon fiber on the wings and maybe tail. I'm just not ambitious enough to glass.

By the way, I'm definitely IN on the speed contest. Heck, maybe I'll epoxy a couple of EDF fans on the back end of this baby. LOL!!
id never glassed before, tried it on the f4u and i dropped the ball. i reckon i added 10oz+ and made it fly like complete bass. im sticking with fiber reinforced strapping tape.

if the p51 doesnt have the same size thingy as the f4u, im assuming the motor shaft will be the same diameter, cause its the same motor, in which case i can switch out the spinner/prop thingy.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:15 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbs
No glassing allowed, that's cheating.
If I decide to get this bird (depends what PZ do for their next warbird) then I'll glass the entire wing with 1/2 oz woven cloth, with a few well placed strips CF tape. If it adds more than 45gms I'll be very surprised.

Mike.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:30 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwilkins
Does anyone know if I'm correct in that the mounting holes for the Park 480 and the Power 10 are exactly the same?

I have some E-Flite planes that call for the Park 480, but I opted for the Power 10 instead. If the stock motor on this Mustang is the same as the E-Flite Park 480, I might consider replacing it with a Power 10, new ESC, prop, lipo, etc which would have the potential to really scream!

The Mustang has the PARKZONE 480 motor in it - the same as the T-28 and the F4u. It is not the same as the Park 480.

However, from past posts, I know that the Power 10 is a drop in replacement for the Parkzone 480, so you should be able to put a Power 10 in it no problem.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:51 AM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
754 Posts
See 2nd post in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post12536519

Matt Andren
Hobbyzone/Parkzone product development
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor