SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Discussion
Team Monkey 46" Video - Micro Slopeing a 15' Sea Wall

Hey guys, just got back from a good days fun with my new Swinger 46 Mk2. I've made the rudder larger, tapered ailerons and moved the wings back 20mm. The AUW is 307g and has pull pull on rudder and elevator thanks to a suggestion from cliff that worked out very well. The plane is so much more accurate with the pull pull system. The plane loops so much better than the ones i am used to and inverted performance is spot on.

Here are a couple of vids of it flying on a sea wall that is very small in 15MPH wind.

Team Monkey Swinger 46 at 307g, Coverack Sea Wall, 15MPH (3 min 49 sec)

Here is another on a proper slope (Fletching Cove). Video is from a phone so not so good.

Team Monkey Swinger 46 at 307g, Fletching cove, 10MPH (1 min 34 sec)

The camera work needs a bit of practice as it was her first time videoing planes.
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2009, 02:45 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
A couple of pics of the sea wall! Aint half small but the lift is great!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:07 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Wow that sea wall is small with the sea directly below.

Dunno' if I'd have the balls to slope a new model there, but I guess it's one of your "home" slopes so you know it well.

The camera work needs a bit of practice as it was her first time videoing planes.

Hey have you found a woman to share your passion? (I'm talking slopin' here )
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:13 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
It was the second visit when the wind had got up! The tide was out earlier so was happy to thow 'her' off ;-)

Pushing the spar forward into the wings has really helped with the air foil on this one, i think its doing the same as your wing former idea cliff?! Does your spared/formered plane loop really sweet?
Last edited by Hexosex; Jun 23, 2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:28 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
You know, I have really gotten swept up by your design and look forward to building one as soon as my Falco is finished. I have been looking for something light that needs very little lift to fly in a highly active aerobatic manner. The Swinger is it! Thank you for sharing this fantastically simple ship with all of us.

One question: I had thought originally to go with the 36" to utilize a pair of 6g Picos and an HS55 I have lying around, as it will indeed be flown in confined areas with minimal lift (most of the time). But after reading some, the 48" seems like it might offer more lift with little loss of maneuverability and a bonus of increased stability. Any thoughts on either of the two with my stated mission statement? Also, I will be using the Picos and the HS55 regardless. Are they enough for the 48"? Can you share plans for the updated 46" model? Cheers and thanks again!
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:51 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Thanks C4X!

Thats some kudos. Your summary is correct. The 36 is ultra cheeky fast and furious but not as much fun to fly as the 48 version as that is so much more accurate and smooth and will go in the same sort of lift.

ThePasty is currently testing different wings on his old one before making a new one so wont be releasing any new plans until that is complete.

I can however give you the dimentions of the small mods in the mean time if this is of any help.

Here is another vid of it flying with the tide low, i did not post it earlier cause the camera work is not so good but you might find it fun all the same.

Team Monkey Swinger 46 at 307g, Coverack Sea Wall, 10MPH (3 min 20 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
As for the servos you can only really use 9g even on the 36, not sure 6g are man enough for the job, also recommend 2x9g for the ailerons or use a midi/full.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexosex
As for the servos you can only really use 9g even on the 36, not sure 6g are man enough for the job, also recommend 2x9g for the ailerons or use a midi/full.
Aha, I suspected as much Thanks for the skinny, I shall source accordingly. The Picos didnt seem up to it, really, but the HS55 actually produces almost as much torque as the HXT 9g. Alas, I only have one, and from your comments I suspect a 65HB might be even more appropriate. Sell the kids! I need a swinger! Hehe
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:42 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
What do they fetch these days

You dont need matching servos and one servo for the aileron on a 46" is fine, strap one up and enjoy! I know you will.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Hi,

I also went forward and started building one of these awesome planes.
I went for the 48'' version, all parts cut, body half glued, both wings taped (brown tape UGLY! that's what i had).That's the current status.

I read some reference to some mods, are they anything that can still be included? I mean I already have all parts cut and some already glued.

Thanks.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:50 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind
Hi,

I also went forward and started building one of these awesome planes.
I went for the 48'' version, all parts cut, body half glued, both wings taped (brown tape UGLY! that's what i had).That's the current status.

I read some reference to some mods, are they anything that can still be included? I mean I already have all parts cut and some already glued.

Thanks.
I've used brown packing tape! It does look a little bit like something that should be posted by the time its finished!

The aileron on the mod taper from 45mm at the tips to 50mm at the base. You could try 40mm - 50mm and as i can only see it helping.

The rudder is an extra 20mm longer but no higher.

Wings have been pushed back 20mm onto the spar so the spar ends up strait and not bent at all.

Hope that helps!

Gary
Old Jul 11, 2009, 04:25 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Hi Gary and thanks.

Took me sometime to get back working on the Monkey.

Regarding the changes you said the ailerons i already have them in place and taped.
And with no spare depron to use i think I'm going forward with them like this and try that change for the next build.
As for the rudder, it's not in place and it is still a raw piece of depron, not sure if i can enlarge it 20mm but at least 10mm i can cause there's still some scrap depron around the cut line.
Moving the wings back shouldn't be hard too, i have the CF stopper in place but it's just a matter of moving it back by 20mm. If understood correctly.

Nando
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jul 11, 2009, 05:12 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Leave the carbon fiber stopper as it is and put the wing over the top of it.

The ailerons probably dont make as big a difference as the wings being moved back to create a shorter moment arm.

Best of luck with the build!