HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2009, 02:57 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
703 Posts
Discussion
Model Aviation Article "How to avoid those nasty sparks"; Is OK with CC?

The Battery Clinic (Red Scholefield) in July 2009 Model Aviation Magazine (page 97) features an interesting method of spark prevention. It consists of an "auxiliary connector with a resistor on the positive circuit that is connected before the "main" power connector.

I have ALOT of Castle Creation ESC's and I would like to know if this method of spark suppression would work. It sounds very simple and reasonable. Can any CC engineer confirm that it would not void the ESC warranty?

Article Reference:
Ampeer Online, February 2009
(Scroll down to "How to prevent sparking")

Thanks,

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:01 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...oenix.html#hv3

3. When I plug in my high voltage battery pack (4s-12s lipo, 12-20 NiMH) into my Phoenix HV or Phoenix-125, etc. controller there is a large spark. Why?

The spark is your friend. If ever you plug your pack into your controller and you donít see the spark, contact tech support at support@castlecreations.com or (913) 390-6939 and send the controller in for repair. Your capacitors will need to be changed. NEVER fly if you do not see the spark, especially with high voltage applications! The higher the voltage, the bigger the spark should be. Remember, the spark is your friend!!!
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Feb 2008
46 Posts
Hi!
A small resistor really helps to pre-load, as long as you don't have a UBec on your main battery! If there's one you would have to switch it to off. I'm using a Anti-Spark circuit... this should be part of every HV Esc...
By the this was discussed before. A CC guy advised to take a small resistor. Just use the search function and you should find it...
Sparks aren't a good friend of your connector. You would have to exchange them soon...
[Edit] Here's the link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759403
-klaus
worldofmaya is offline Find More Posts by worldofmaya
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:53 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa
The Battery Clinic (Red Scholefield) in July 2009 Model Aviation Magazine (page 97) features an interesting method of spark prevention. It consists of an "auxiliary connector with a resistor on the positive circuit that is connected before the "main" power connector.

I have ALOT of Castle Creation ESC's and I would like to know if this method of spark suppression would work. It sounds very simple and reasonable. Can any CC engineer confirm that it would not void the ESC warranty?

Article Reference:
Ampeer Online, February 2009
(Scroll down to "How to prevent sparking")

Thanks,

Nick
I saw that. They really did it the hard way. I didnít think much of that article. Also the resistor values were too high.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8389269

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,091 Posts
I agree about the high ohm resistors. They can easily blow an ESC. You need something in the 1 to 5 ohm range. CC recommends 1 ohm. I have used 4 ohm on numerous ESCís for quire a few years and have never blown an ESC.

Bad information about using higher ohm resistors is not a good thing. You should always check with the manufacturer to make sure you wonít void the warranty.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:56 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
I said 1 ohm! When you plug the ESC in it beeps the motor. This takes several amps. Running the micro processor circuit behind a resistor with a load on it can damage the processor board. Plugs are cheap, ESCS are not. Use anything over 1 ohm at your own risk, it will not be covered under warranty.

We chased an anti spark circuit for over a year, but the HV ESCs did not become reliable until we took it off.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:56 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Wolfard

........Plugs are cheap, ESCS are not. Use anything over 1 ohm at your own risk, it will not be covered under warranty.

We chased an anti spark circuit for over a year, but the HV ESCs did not become reliable until we took it off.

Bernie
Thank you Bernie. This is EXACTLY the information I wanted to know. While the pop of a spark can be a bit unsettling, I do not want to do anything to put my plane's ESC at risk.

I think I'm just gonna let it pop and replace connectors as required. I think the CC engineers know what their doing.

Thanks to all who replied as well!

Nick
Old Jun 24, 2009, 03:00 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
703 Posts
Very Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I saw that. They really did it the hard way. I didnít think much of that article. Also the resistor values were too high.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8389269

If someone was to want to use the spark suppressor, this would be the way to do it. Very Clever RC Man!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:19 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Even if you don't use 4mm plugs on your batteries, you can put one of these inline between the male deans and the ESC. Plug the battery into the regular Deans, then complete the circuit as shown above.

This a very clean solution, in my opinion..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Zen and the art of plugging in

If are afraid of and worry about the spark you will flinch a little when you push your plugs together. This results in a slight pull back or hesitation when the spark occurs. During this time you are arc welding the tips of your plug. Get used to taking a big breath then pushing your plugs together aggressively. Don't allow yourself to flinch or jump. Done this way you get a pop but because the plug goes together quickly, you minimize the arc welding. Practice this and it will quickly become second nature and your plugs will last a long time.

"Breath deep and clear your mind. Find your center and let go of all your fears. Now PLUG grasshopper, PLUG!"

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:46 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Anyone heard of ''sods law'' though? When pushing deans together with no power they'll go straight in!
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:03 PM
Joined Feb 2007
40 Posts
I think that if you're afraid of the spark, you should find another hobby.
sleebus.jones is offline Find More Posts by sleebus.jones
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
245 Posts
Amen to sleebus.jones (no relation). Assuming a deans connector, have them positioned the correct way beforehand; keeping the spring side and the solid side oriented right and just go.

It's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps. Or so my English grandfather used to say - while working on 220V single phase...
Rosster is offline Find More Posts by Rosster
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones
I think that if you're afraid of the spark, you should find another hobby.
I did have one time an ark while plugging in the deans and it blew one of the deans pins all over the place with red hot metal! Needless to say it worried me so I took it upon myself to do my own resistor mod to eliminate the spark.
wellington
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53