HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2001, 08:16 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Bullet and BD-5-R2 Fly

Well guys I wish I could be more excited, but they both flew well. Gregg launched
the Bullet for me and she went straight out and climbed for the sky. She was a little
slow but two more cells out to help that. All and all a very stable ship with no bad
habits. Looks great in the air.
The BD-5R2 was just fine although I encountered some interference from the
motors and had to cut the flight short. As soon as I cut power she smoothed out for a
nice landing. Although the flight was short it was clear that the two Wemotec fans
with stock 280's was fine for power.
I discovered after the flight that one of the capacitor wires was actually touching the
motor shaft sticking out on the back. I'm sure that was the source, should be easy to cure.
I didn't get any video because it was hard to get anybody to do it on today of all
days. I will this Friday when Gregg and I go back to fly again.
All and all a good day for maiden flights anyway.
Steve Neill
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2001, 08:54 PM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
Steve, congrats. good to hear that both flz. how many cells are you currently running in the bullet? which motor?

Jens
Jensst is online now Find More Posts by Jensst
Old Sep 11, 2001, 09:11 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Thanks Jens, I was only using 8 1700 AU's, not the best choice but I haven't recieved the CP's yet. The motor is a 480 race BB. Hand launch was easy.
Thanks Jens!
Old Sep 12, 2001, 06:39 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
great news about the bullit, did you get a chance to measure the watts into the motor? Glad to hear about the sucess of the BD also, maybe the way to go with these little fans is multi, that way you don't have to pushem so hard. I still have not tried the hacker on 9 cells, started a new job and really cuts into model time.
Dave
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Sep 12, 2001, 06:52 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
dave: we started to measure watts in, but somebody(steve) has wired all their deans ultras backwards.hehe.........gregg
steve: don't forget to make that adapter!
Old Sep 12, 2001, 07:10 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,757 Posts
Congrats Steve and flight engineer Gregg Job well done.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 12, 2001, 07:55 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Thanks Dave and Kevin. It was nice to see that both fly. Dave your right about using
twins. I'm sure Kevin that you will do that. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Gregg....I will make the thing. Then even I can know what's going on electronically
speaking. We will report back with the data.
Because there's no airmail I won't be seeing those CP 1300's this week. Gregg,
bring 10 cells for the Bullet.
Thanks all!
Steve
Old Sep 13, 2001, 12:51 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Here's a picture of the Bullet for those of you that haven't seen it. Flies again Friday.
Steve
Old Sep 13, 2001, 09:50 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,120 Posts
Success!

Hi Steve,
Congrats on the successful test flight. The first ones are always the most nerve wracking; you don't know what to expect. Now you know!

Looking forward to the videos.
Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Sep 13, 2001, 04:04 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Thanks Daren, yes they are, however I didn't feel a bit nervous that day of all days. We walked out to the flight line, Gregg wanted me to run it up before the launch to get a feel. I said, "Gregg are you ready?" He said he was and laundhed with a gental throw. She sank down a bit but then started to climb. As I made the first turn Gregg said, " Well Steve it's flying". We flew around for awhile and then I cut the engine and brought her down. Landing was easy. Some guys clapped in the pits, they knew it was a maiden. I guess it was good to see anything right happen on that day. That life goes on and model planes still fly. It was a weird day. I'll get video tomorrow or the first of next week.
Steve
Old Sep 13, 2001, 07:00 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
Steve, how are the servos arranged on the Bullet? One for the elevator with the control rod on the outside? Aileron servo in the center of the fuse?

How about the Salamander? Maiden flight yet?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Sep 13, 2001, 07:14 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
One servo on the fuse side conected to a single control horn on the tail. Two servos for the ailerons, one in each wing.
Haven't flown the Salamander yet. I'm going to do more tests tomorrow on the Bullet and BD-5-R2. Next week I'll give it a go.
Steve
Old Sep 14, 2001, 04:25 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Canceled more tests on the Bullet for today. It's very hot here, low air density and just plain ugly weather.
Will shoot again for next week, I want to get some nice video for you all to see.
Steve
Old Sep 14, 2001, 04:28 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
The other bird.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 10:34 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Condratulations on the two maiden flights Steve.

Thats the first I've seen of the BD. It's different than I expected.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray