7,177 Posts
Thank You.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
I thought i'd turn the gas cap into a revolving switch, so I don't have to keep flipping the seat out everytime I put the boat in and out of the water.
I 've used a connector so I'm not tied to one ESC and can still use the old switch if this one fails )

The rear under seat compartment is finished now, I made the rear kick plate removable as those lower screws on the servo are damn near impossible to reach when it is on.
The front cockpit is also complete, it looks a little messy inside, but I've added some reinforcement to keep it in place (it's removable incase I have to access wires for the lights.

The aluminium sheet supplied for the cutwater was easy to use (when lightly dabbed with washing up liquid, it slid around very easily)
Still got the rub rails to do, not sure if I should bang nails in or glue (nail holes might let water in after a while)

Also made a Chris Craft decal above the engine compartment and floor panel as well as a warning to anybody he may want to go poking there fingers around the motor after a long run ))

Just got to make some seats and I think i'm ready to stick down some deck hardware and wax up!

Does anybody know a way to polish up the Dumas deck fittings without rubbing through the coating? I bought a can of Laquer for metal that I thought I'd use once I had the fittings as shiny as possible, appreciate any input on the subject
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Last edited by RussellTate; May 21, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
756 Posts
Great work! I'm liking this model more and more. I like how the tight confines of the hardware might make someone ask "does that really run?"

It's funny how certain steps make you aprehensive, and you might even put them off for a while only to find out it's simple. hopefully my cutwater will go as smoothly.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old May 21, 2010, 09:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Really diggin' the gas cap switch!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 21, 2010, 10:05 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Habanero, With the cutwater make sure you wrap enough of part (A) over to the other side! I left mine a little lean and had to squeeze in a sliver patch.
If I was doing this again I would dry fit the cutwaters with a paper template and check for alignment with the deck and where the to parts meet under the bow, as well as at the front.
The Utility had pre die-cut Cutwaters unlike some other kits where you have to cut them out yourself, that's why I dived straight in.

Also, don't be alarmed if the Alumium appears to lose ALL of it's stickyness at first with the detergent, it does come good again after 10 mins or so

Thanks kmot, I had this gas cap switch thing bouncing around in my head about 9 months and was a bit wary about trying it (partly because I'd not seen anybody else do it before ) But I thought what the hell, what's the worst that can happen ...a short circuit ...boat catches fire and sinks to the bottom of the lake, I can live with that )
Old May 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Clever switch RT. Diggin' the decals too.
Polishing the fittings...use a chrome polish, follow the instructions, should come out nice & shiny.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05208_b.html
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old May 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Clever switch RT. Diggin' the decals too.
Polishing the fittings...use a chrome polish, follow the instructions, should come out nice & shiny.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05208_b.html
Thanks Pat,
Do you think I should use the Metal Lacquer to seal the finish or leave as is?
Old May 22, 2010, 07:58 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
...Do you think I should use the Metal Lacquer to seal the finish or leave as is?

leave as is...
Old May 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
527 Posts
Russ, you are doing a great job.
EdLokken is offline Find More Posts by EdLokken
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:41 AM
Joined May 2010
18 Posts
different user name

D'oh! gone and lost my log in details, so i'm an alternative version of myself today.
I decided I didn't much like the plastic seats supplied by Dumas, so I thought I'd carve my own out of Balsa. It took a bit of shaping to get the fit right as the sides contour in 2 different directions and there is an arc to follow across the top of both seats!

I also put on some rub rails (plastruct 4.8mm half round pipe) and covered them with bare metal foil and pins to finish it off.
I've since decided .... gulp! I don't like 'em.
It's the overlapping edges of each sheet of foil, they really really stand out to my eyes.

I'm starting to put together a new set and will paint them silver.
I have a rope (line) all knotted up now thanks to members here pointing me to some great knot tutorials.
The windshield is glued in now with a little strip of black piping underneath/ I thought a little travel sticker would be nice in the corner so I replicated the Chris Craft logo from the instruction booklet

The hardware is pretty much stuck down now, the footplates and vents look a lot better with a bit of black paint on them.

I'm working on a movie file like Ed's great Continental build so I can spin the boat round a little
russellalt is offline Find More Posts by russellalt
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:59 AM
Joined May 2010
18 Posts
03.June boat spin.m4v (1 min 10 sec)
russellalt is offline Find More Posts by russellalt
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:10 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
527 Posts
Very nice. You have taken the walk-a-round to a new level.

Ed
EdLokken is offline Find More Posts by EdLokken
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:21 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Looks great RT. Nice job.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:17 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,012 Posts
Russel,
Your cc looks wonderful! nice job

I've had good luck using metal foil tape (Home depo, lowes etc.) ripped down to (5/16" approx.) strips. You can do the whole rub rail in one piece. burnishing the ends. holds up much better than paint and you can shine it up anytime. Harry
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:52 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Awesome job Russell!! Looks great!
Hatchet Jack is offline Find More Posts by Hatchet Jack