HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2006
106 Posts
Discussion
Needle valve extension

I have a simple stupid question about an extension for my needle valve so please don't laugh. I have a O.S 91 and it's going to be inside a cowl. In order for me to make adjustments, what can I use for an extension from the needle valve to outside the cowl and how do I attach it? Thanks everyone. You all can stop laughing now.
FLY GUY EDDY is offline Find More Posts by FLY GUY EDDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:15 PM
North Central Ohio
Joined Jun 2009
184 Posts
The OS 91FX has a hole in the end of the needle valve. You stick a piece of piano wire or 2-56 control rod in there for an extension. There is a set screw to hold it in place
winning1 is offline Find More Posts by winning1
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:36 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 2008
98 Posts
FlyGuy
The way winning describes is one way of making an extension. By the way all OS needle valves have a hole in them with a set screw for attaching an extension.
My method because I am lazy is go thru my box of stripped allen keys find one that fits the hole, trim the length to fit and attach - its done. The other advantage to the allen key is there is a flat surface for the set screw to seat on.
If the extension is going to be long and to take the strain off the needle from vibration you could solder a small piece of wire in to a short piece of brass tube and then solder a cap screw to the brass tube. Then drill a hole in the cowl and use a long allen wrench to adjust the needle.
ByronF
PS Is this for your Texan?
ByronF is offline Find More Posts by ByronF
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:50 PM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
389 Posts
Ask 6 flyers and you will get 6 good suggestions. I use a piece of yellow nyrod/pushrod. In the end I use a short piece of 2-56 rod that I thread up in the rod. The other end of the 2-56 goes in the end of the HS needle. I sometimes have to thin down the short piece of 2-56 so it will fit the small hole in the end of the hs needle.The pushrod is flexible enough that it will bend and allow you to remove the cowl without removing the hs needle or extension. The part that sticks out of the cowl can be colored to match the cowl.

Fred
Red Raider is online now Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:07 PM
Joined Jul 2006
106 Posts
Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input. Hey Byron F long time no talk. Yes you're right this is for the Texan. I had to stop building for several months because my mother became very ill and I had to look after her. I'm happy to say that she is doing fine now and I'm back building again. Once again thanks everyone.
FLY GUY EDDY is offline Find More Posts by FLY GUY EDDY
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:25 AM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
I'll use a bit of wire most of the time. On a 120 size Gee Bee with an OS 120 FS I took a piece of throttle cable and drilled out an aluminum fuel dot to thread the cable through and soldered the cable to the fuel dot to make a knob. Routed this from the bottom of the plane through one of the ply cowling mounts to a set screw in the needle valve. When I needed to adjust it, I just reached into the bottom of the cowl, pulled the cable out, adjusted the needle valve and then tucked the cable/knob back into the bottom of the cowl.
Other models I've used a very small allen head screw that the threaded end would fit inside the end of the needle valve, use the set screw in the needle valve to hold it tight, then slip a piece of fuel tubing, say about a half inch over the end of the needle valve. This will give you a "guide" to put a ball driver through a hole in the cowl and into the fuel tubing finally to the head of the screw.

Rube
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Old Jun 24, 2009, 04:26 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,002 Posts
If your needed extension length isn't that great, I have used a large T-pin as an extension.
jjkupinski is online now Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Here's a thread with the same discussion and good pics from when I had the same question. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004330

The set up in the pic below is working good for me. The only difference is that I've added a rubber grommet from lowes to prevent the vibrations on the extension from eating away at the hole - it looks a little neater too.

rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt