HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ljungbyhed, Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
69 Posts
Discussion
Micro ROV-style submersible

Hi all,

I want to show you some pictures of my first properly working submersible. The build was quite long and exhausting (trial and error on the electronics part..) but I am now very happy with the way it works. I haven't yet tested its maximum depth, as most lakes here in Norway are still quite cold to go svimming in. However, I have operated at about 1 metre depth so far.

The hull is made from a hair product container. Displacement is variable through a flexible rubber bladder on the bottom, controlled by a BMS-303 servo. The sub also has a thruster on top (7mm motor), giving an extra push up or down when needed. Horizontal control is provided by two 7mm thrusters in tank configuration, as well as a 4mm thruster to give lateral movement. 6 small white LED's illuminates the area in front of the sub. I was limited by a 5ch receiver (JETI rex5), so I made two "modes" with a small relay on the light-circuit. When I switch lights on, side thruster is available, when I switch lights off, top thruster is available. In other words, lights on means precision movement, while lights off is more to and from.

All thrusters are controlled via precision ant-robot controllers, while the light circuit has an rc-switch. Power is provided by a small 2s 250mAh E-tec battery, which gives me about 30 min run time.

Please leave an opinion
Pål is offline Find More Posts by Pål
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
Absolutely amazing!
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
Very good packaging of devices.

Is a camera aboard? the lights and 'window' suggest a practical optical device aboard. Yes?

And some video of this little marvel would be fun to watch.

First effort, huh ... most remarkable effort. Well done.

David,
Merriman is offline Find More Posts by Merriman
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Thats very cool, great job
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:25 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
United States, WA, Granite Falls
Joined Mar 2006
1,143 Posts
that looks like the ultimate fish tank toy! very cool. nice work.
drakonis is offline Find More Posts by drakonis
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:43 PM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
That's really amazing!!!!
I could use 2 of such things for Well Enhancer so now that i know it can be done.
What are the sizes of this thing?

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ljungbyhed, Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
69 Posts
Thanks for all the comments!

I will try to make a video of it as soon as possible. Unfortunately David, it will only be filmed from the outside as I haven't been able to cram a camera in yet. Any suggestions for possible cameras? Would it be possible to transfer it wireless, or is it best to store the footage aboard?

Josse, in displacement she is 150 millilitres and the sphere itself is 65mm in diameter.

Has anyone got a suggestion for a name?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:35 AM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Hi Pal,

For the camera i don't know a good one.
I have got an idea for the transmission of the footage, through a wire to a modelboat that will launch it.
The real ROV's are also wire-guided so it wont be unrealistic to use a wire too.

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:50 AM
Suspended Account
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pål

I will try to make a video of it as soon as possible. Unfortunately David, it will only be filmed from the outside as I haven't been able to cram a camera in yet. Any suggestions for possible cameras? Would it be possible to transfer it wireless, or is it best to store the footage aboard?

Josse, in displacement she is 150 millilitres and the sphere itself is 65mm in diameter.

The little Swann type wireless camera-transmitter might fit in there, but your little ROV is too small to handle an umbilical and float (needed to set the antenna above the water), so the signal would have to be recorded aboard in a 2-gig stick.

The Swann unit is very small and only draws about 20 mili-Amperes.

David,
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:11 AM
Ohio, IL
Joined Feb 2006
241 Posts
Wow!
HelloMoto is offline Find More Posts by HelloMoto
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:01 AM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pål

Any of the following names: Anna, Betty, or Clara

"Open the pod bay doors please, HAL."
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:04 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Pal,

your micro ROV is simply superb! My compliments.

Have you considered to build a support ship for it?
It is so small and light: it shouldn't be difficult to build a ship with a crane or some lifting device to put it into the water and recovery it after the dive.
Have you considered such an idea?

Compliments again!
Ocean's
Ocean's One is offline Find More Posts by Ocean's One
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:18 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pål

Paint either a number 1 or 9 on her and call her The Pool Ball

You could get one of these mini camcorders
http://www.spygadgets.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=MICRO
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Last edited by redboat219; Jun 23, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:26 AM
Ljungbyhed, Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
69 Posts
Man, why haven't I thought of that! I love 9-ball, and i think most people would recognise the number 9 symbol. Thanks

Regarding a camera: I have a tiny 6g kx-121 camera that might fit with some mods, but I don't know I'm able to store from it. Why can't I use a TX? We don't have umbilicals to from our transmitters, do we? I would definately be cooler to do live-feed instead of storing the footage and then viewing.

David, I was also thinking of what you say about umbilicals. Do you think it would be impractical due to the sub having so little mass? Perhaps a really thin magnet wire would do?

A mothership would be cool, but I think it will have to wait a while.. But if the umbilical-thing works, I have to make a buoy with a TX on it.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
Suspended Account
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pål
Man, why haven't I thought of that! I love 9-ball, and i think most people would recognise the number 9 symbol. Thanks

Regarding a camera: I have a tiny 6g kx-121 camera that might fit with some mods, but I don't know I'm able to store from it. Why can't I use a TX? We don't have umbilicals to from our transmitters, do we? I would definately be cooler to do live-feed instead of storing the footage and then viewing.

David, I was also thinking of what you say about umbilicals. Do you think it would be impractical due to the sub having so little mass? Perhaps a really thin magnet wire would do?

A mothership would be cool, but I think it will have to wait a while.. But if the umbilical-thing works, I have to make a buoy with a TX on it.
Your boat does not have the mass or propulsive power to fight against the buoyant, weight, and centenary forces presented by even the smallest coaxial watertight cable. And to squirt the weak signal from the camera (unless you also put a post-amp between the camera and the umbilical) to the surface through a tether necessitates the use of a coaxial cable as an unshielded conductor would present too much impedance -- the majority of the signal would be lost as heat in the conductor.

For those two reason, any tether is a no-go option for your little nine-ball. It's gotta be a free-swimmer.

And forget transmitting through the water: that little Swann transmitter (other wireless camera-transmitters have the same specifications) squirts out less than 10 mili-Watts; worse yet, its a 2.4 gHz signal and that high frequency is completely attenuated by the water.

You'll be compelled to record the video on-board. Sorry, no real-time ability to view with this little jewel of yours.

What a magnificent piece of work! More pictures!

David,