1,143 Posts
Awesome that looks great!!!
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Weather is looking marginal tomorrow supposed to be clear but the winds are forecasted to gust around 20. I really would rather not do the maiden with 20kt winds but we will see what happens. I ordered another battery today so hopefully it doesn't crash on the maiden lol. What's the deal with HP or nitroplanes being out of stock on gens ace batteries? I need a 6s or two 3s 3300 for my RCLander F-16. I might just have to bite the bullet and order hyperions or nano techs. I ordered a nano tech 4s for the squall and looking at the data log the battery so far is holding voltage better than the gens ace with the same internal resistance! Maybe I can start buying turnigy batteries again since they have a much better selection. I will try to maiden tomorrow and when I do I'll get video!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:11 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Well that did not last long. OK i have been flying for a long long time and never have i ever had a loose gimble thumb screw bite me in the $%^&. But today, Hand launch!!......Yep a U turn this time right into the catch fence. As i brought my thumb down on the stick it spun and i lost it. By the time i got the stick and pulled up it was to late. It hit the ground about 30 degrees then fence. Let me say the foam and chain link dont mix to good..

Now i need another lower inlet for the second squall. I used its lower to fix the last crash of squall 1.
I guess i need to decide if everything goes in the F-16 P3 or the second squall.

Photo soon.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Damn par that sucks I'm sorry to hear that
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Damn par that sucks I'm sorry to hear that
Thanks it happens

Guess i am going to assemble the f-16 to see what it is all about. who knows i might like it better then the squall. This will give me time to make a killer squall without rushing.

Anyone know what to look out for when putting a 6904 fan in a P3 f-16. Links to f-16 modification threads handy?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:19 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Thanks it happens

Guess i am going to assemble the f-16 to see what it is all about. who knows i might like it better then the squall. This will give me time to make a killer squall without rushing.

Anyone know what to look out for when putting a 6904 fan in a P3 f-16. Links to f-16 modification threads handy?
well , bummer on the squall, but u will like the 16. as u may know the 16 was a smaller fan for years ~60mm and most of the massive amount of info is for that mold . i flew them for years and now have the 70mm version, as of now unbuilt.
the 6904 should just about drop in , i may have mocked it up , dont remember . i looked at a few different fans for fitment after i got the kit and did not see any problems . the 16 now comes w/ the squall fan if bought that way and so the fit should be similar. this is assuming u have the 70 mm v2.
the biggest thing on the 16 is to make sure u do the mods on the tailerion pivot area. good luck.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:21 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
well , bummer on the squall, but u will like the 16. as u may know the 16 was a smaller fan for years ~60mm and most of the massive amount of info is for that mold . i flew them for years and now have the 70mm version, as of now unbuilt.
the 6904 should just about drop in , i may have mocked it up , dont remember . i looked at a few different fans for fitment after i got the kit and did not see any problems . the 16 now comes w/ the squall fan if bought that way and so the fit should be similar. this is assuming u have the 70 mm v2.
the biggest thing on the 16 is to make sure u do the mods on the tailerion pivot area. good luck.

chuck.
Thanks for the infor Chuck. It is the 70mm.

Ok on the mods i will head to the store and get some carbon sheet.

Do you have any advice on 6904 fan placement when considering CG?.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Where are you getting the carbon sheet?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,680 Posts
Quote:
Thanks it happens

Folks have been putting the HET 2W-20 in the F-16 since 2008. Very popular setup for 120mph on 4s. Only the taileron mod (and maybe opening up the battery bay was the only thing required) I've built a few a few of them over the fast few years.
The HET6904 was placed 2" aft of the stock fan's mounting position. Basically almost up to the servos location.This is to compensate for the bigger lipos.
You need a 60A ESC and 4s, 25c (min) 2250-2500 mAh lipos.

This thread is were the many mods for the F-16 began.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61041&page=110

Go to the thread and pick "thread tools" at the upper right.
Then click on "show all attachments to this thread"
That will show you all the photos. Click on a photo to go to that place in the thread.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,680 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the infor Chuck. It is the 70mm.

Ok on the mods i will head to the store and get some carbon sheet.

Do you have any advice on 6904 fan placement when considering CG?.
If you use CF sheet, 0.5mm thick is plenty good. The plywood is really good enough, and easier to work with.
I've moved away from "boxing" the Pylons, and now use Carbon Fiber rectangular bar, cut into the foam and epoxied. It's really easy. Then fill the slot with ultra light weight Spackle and sand smooth.
It posted some pices of it here, but replied should be posted in the correct thread. There are already a few threads for the Phase 3, F-16
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:33 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Where are you getting the carbon sheet?
Could not find any local. I was going to just go ahead and make a sheet but after reading what Gary sent i bought the wood. But now the more i think about it i might use a carbon rec bar stock. Can you guys tell i tend to over think stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
If you use CF sheet, 0.5mm thick is plenty good. The plywood is really good enough, and easier to work with.
I've moved away from "boxing" the Pylons, and now use Carbon Fiber rectangular bar, cut into the foam and epoxied. It's really easy. Then fill the slot with ultra light weight Spackle and sand smooth.
It posted some pices of it here, but replied should be posted in the correct thread. There are already a few threads for the Phase 3, F-16
Thanks for the links.

Ok back to the squall. I will go over to the F16 threads if i have anymore questions.

GARY where do you fly at?
Last edited by parpar1; Jan 14, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I'm considering a maiden today but it's 40 degrees outside not sure if I want to go freeze lol
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewarp View Post
Hi.

I have my throws set like the book recommends for sport flight, using a 20% EXPO and I have the plane balanced at the recommended CG and I have the vectored thrust unit installed, now for the life of me I can not figure out why the plane likes to rock side to side while in flight. All control surfaces are aligned ect. does anyone have any tips or recommendations?
Did you resolve this? I built my first Squall and had two flights (both problematic). It would roll/wobble right when turning left and when I bank right it would roll left. At first I thought it was due to aileron differential and/or travel (potentially mismatched servos - they appear to be the same came from a graveyard of decease plane parts) or the wind (it was gusty in the maiden but dead calm in the second flight). Now, I'm not so sure.

I did not install the VT unit. Should I have?
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,680 Posts
Quote:
Could not find any local. I was going to just go ahead and make a sheet but after reading what Gary sent i bought the wood. But now the more i think about it i might use a carbon rec bar stock. Can you guys tell i tend to over think stuff.

Thanks for the links.

Ok back to the squall. I will go over to the F16 threads if i have anymore questions.

GARY where do you fly at?
Apollo IV field, in Van Nuys.....AKA, "the basin"
Occasionally at Canyon Crosswinds in Castaic, but the runway is too short for my larger EDFs.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I use a long serrated "bread knife" or a 32TPI hack saw blade for steel, with out the handle. They work pretty good too.
The pics are from a Phase3 F-16 that I did a lot of hack and mod work to.
oops. No pics. I am referring to the picture you posted in post #4840

What fan/motor combo is this? I'm building another one, just because. It's gonna be a bit heavier than stock b/c I'm going to FG it but if it's gonna be heavier then I want a nice motor set up. Something in the 650-800 watt range. I'm not going to do the VT on this one. It'll still be under 2 lbs.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex