HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:56 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
The squall is finished and overall I'm happy with it. It is balanced right about 65mm after the paint and filler. Just did a two minute engine run and the numbers were good 783 watts at 53 amps 42k rpm.

Weather should be good this weekend for the maiden looking forward to getting it in the air. During the run up it felt like it wanted to just leap into the air!
It looks great Zach. Hope the maiden goes well.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:23 AM
Registered User
firehawkzach's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Thanks Gary I appreciate you getting the edf unit to me as quick a you did over the holidays! I'm very impressed with how smooth it runs. Out of curiosity are there certain settings in the ESC I need to be sure of? I would have to pull up the castle link to see how it is configured and I'm about to crash for a 16 hour day tomorrow.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:33 AM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Thanks Gary I appreciate you getting the edf unit to me as quick a you did over the holidays! I'm very impressed with how smooth it runs. Out of curiosity are there certain settings in the ESC I need to be sure of? I would have to pull up the castle link to see how it is configured and I'm about to crash for a 16 hour day tomorrow.
Thanks.
All the Castle default settings will be fine. The only one you may wish to change is the LVC cutoff.

The default setting is: HARD CUTOFF (the motor will stop at LVC, and you will have to reduce the throttle stick to zero, before adding up to half throttle to land ASAP.

You may want to change this to SOFT CUTOFF (the motor will begin to studder and lose power at LVC....time to land ASAP.

I use the soft cutoff. It's your preference.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:42 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Sweetrex's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
I got completely done with my Squall and then I took a look down the tailpipe while adjusting the VT unit and saw that the motor somehow cocked up when I glued the bottom on. It is an HET fan with a Wicked motor. Will this cause it to behave badly? I have two thoughts on this:
1) All of the air is coming out of the same opening so it may not matter which side of the tailpipe the air hits first as long as it gets out
2) it's cocked up so maybe this will cause it to push the nose upward

Thoughts
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:55 AM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,779 Posts
There's nota mylar thrust tube in it, right? Just the foam exhaust with a TV unit?
It shouldn't be a problem, (if it's not toooo crooked) with or without the TV unit as the efflux will be directed by the foam exhast, then by the TV unit.
Can you slice the glue joint with a knife and fix it?

It's always a good idea to make the lower intake removable with magnets, screws, or even tape, in the event that you need to service the EDF, motor, ESC, etc.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:04 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Sweetrex's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
There's nota mylar thrust tube in it, right? Just the foam exhaust with a TV unit?
It shouldn't be a problem, (if it's not toooo crooked) with or without the TV unit as the efflux will be directed by the foam exhast, then by the TV unit.
Can you slice the glue joint with a knife and fix it?

It's always a good idea to make the lower intake removable with magnets, screws, or even tape, in the event that you need to service the EDF, motor, ESC, etc.
Yea. Just the foam. I've built several Squalls in the past but never had any luck building a removable hatch. Not like yours anyway. I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I always have a hard time making good cuts in the foam and getting my joints to look good.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
Registered User
parpar1's Avatar
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetrex View Post
Yea. Just the foam. I've built several Squalls in the past but never had any luck building a removable hatch. Not like yours anyway. I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I always have a hard time making good cuts in the foam and getting my joints to look good.
Try cutting the foam lower duct with a razor from a paint scraper ( they are about 6 inches long and very sharp) i place a line of tape at the cut line and then i rock the razor over it keeping it parallel to the tape. that always works good for me.

Canted EDF unit. FIY i had to shave some foam to increase the inner diameter so the EDF unit would lay in nice between the two halves.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:16 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Sweetrex's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Try cutting the foam lower duct with a razor from a paint scraper ( they are about 6 inches long and very sharp) i place a line of tape at the cut line and then i rock the razor over it keeping it parallel to the tape. that always works good for me.

Canted EDF unit. FIY i had to shave some foam to increase the inner diameter so the EDF unit would lay in nice between the two halves.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. Fortunately I didn't use Gorilla Glue to hold the EDF in place. I just used hot glue. The fan unit had a lip on the intake side that was molded as one piece so I just melted a channel into the foam with my soldering iron. I think when I mated the two halves together my channel wasn't 100% aligned on the top and bottom and that canted the unit.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:26 AM
Registered User
firehawkzach's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Mine somewhat did the same thing and I do have a thrust tube although its only off just a bit and I think the thrust tube will straighten the air flow out. It feels nice and straight coming out o the exhaust so I think its OK.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Try cutting the foam lower duct with a razor from a paint scraper ( they are about 6 inches long and very sharp) i place a line of tape at the cut line and then i rock the razor over it keeping it parallel to the tape. that always works good for me.

Canted EDF unit. FIY i had to shave some foam to increase the inner diameter so the EDF unit would lay in nice between the two halves.
I use a long serrated "bread knife" or a 32TPI hack saw blade for steel, with out the handle. They work pretty good too.
The pics are from a Phase3 F-16 that I did a lot of hack and mod work to.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Jan 11, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:54 PM
Registered User
firehawkzach's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
This topic of mis-aligned edf units makes me think of the video earlier in the thread where the guy hand launched it three times and each time it looped into the ground. Personally this is why I opted out on the TV unit since it cannot be disabled. Seems like an unnecessary feature that could potentially cause trouble.

Took the squall to work today and weighed it and it came out to 2lbs with the battery!!! I'm pretty happy with this number and hope I get to maiden it on Sunday!! I did catch hell from my coworkers regarding my brushed one coat paint job lol. Needless to say if an airplane needs painting at work I won't be doing it lol!!! This is fine by me since I do ops checks test flights and troubleshooting so I'm pretty happy as it is lol. Today I got to do engine runs on a King Air F90 and troubleshoot a ventilation blower in a King Air 200. I'm excited because we are getting a G4 next month for inspection!!!
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:04 PM
Addicted to my hobby
Sweetrex's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
This topic of mis-aligned edf units makes me think of the video earlier in the thread where the guy hand launched it three times and each time it looped into the ground. Personally this is why I opted out on the TV unit since it cannot be disabled. Seems like an unnecessary feature that could potentially cause trouble.

Took the squall to work today and weighed it and it came out to 2lbs with the battery!!! I'm pretty happy with this number and hope I get to maiden it on Sunday!! I did catch hell from my coworkers regarding my brushed one coat paint job lol. Needless to say if an airplane needs painting at work I won't be doing it lol!!! This is fine by me since I do ops checks test flights and troubleshooting so I'm pretty happy as it is lol. Today I got to do engine runs on a King Air F90 and troubleshoot a ventilation blower in a King Air 200. I'm excited because we are getting a G4 next month for inspection!!!
That's a Cirrus, correct? SR22?
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
Registered User
firehawkzach's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
No both of the king airs are made by beech craft and the G4 is a Gulfstream.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Sweetrex's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
No both of the king airs are made by beech craft and the G4 is a Gulfstream.
Ah. Got it.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:32 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Sweetrex's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Well, I took the time to take the lower half of the intake apart and realign the fan. I'm glad I did. Thanks for all the help, guys. I bought the scraper blade and a 32 tpi hacksaw blade and did the job right. I used hot glue again and silicone adhesive to put it all back together. At least if there's any other issues later on I can have a way to easily access the esc and fan. Here are some pictures. The paint job is my first attempt at air brushing and it came out nice.

AUW= 29.9 oz.
Dons Wicked 4000kv motor, HET 6404 fan
TP 2700mAh 4S 25C battery
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Last edited by Sweetrex; Jan 12, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Popular EDF Jets - Phase 3 Fantom - HobbyLobby - Firebird EZ-400 Foamy EDFs 127 Aug 02, 2012 07:47 AM
Sold EDF Unit from Phase 3 F16 $10 Shipped typhoonmaster Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Mar 15, 2009 12:27 PM
Discussion EDF vibration, Phase 3 EF-16 Friedclutch Foamy EDFs 5 Jul 16, 2008 09:23 PM
Discussion New EDF from BP hobbies Lance Nordby Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Nov 11, 2006 06:38 PM
Alert New EDF From Great Planes netmechanic Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Feb 19, 2006 03:23 PM