HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,413 Posts
Here's a video of mine I picked up a couple weeks ago for $50.
This is the 3rd flight on this plane, 1st on 5s.
Phase 3 Squall 5s (3 min 14 sec)
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,315 Posts
cool launch if u could pull that off on purpose u would really wow them
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
I screwed up and brought the black to far fwd. What was i thinking. Other then that it looks ok.

I Might have to get out some white and red and fix it
I disagree. It looks awesome.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,788 Posts
Quote:
Your kidding right. All they did was have sales on the Squall. I picked up two with TV for $39 Friday a piece. The other days it was $49 with TV.

Now if your talking with Motor and ESC your right but you dont want the stock motor fan combo. The fan blows apart it you do not strip it down and locktite and retorque.
Sale on ARF 4S? Did not see it.... will do the teardown as you suggest. Thanls.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
cool launch if u could pull that off on purpose u would really wow them
Agreed - that was a KILLER hand launch.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
swps, I don't think that was torque roll. Most edf's don't have torque roll to my knowledge. To me it looked more like a wing stall. That exact same motion has happened to me on an f22 numerous times in the middle of a flight. It's usually when I'm doing a banking turn at close to stall speed. The whole plane will just do a 360. I think its because the lower ring on a turn loses lift and the weight of the other side of the plane pushes it over. I could be wrong on yours but I've seen it happen several times on mine while already in flight and i know for mine at least its not torque roll. Did you throw the plane perfectly level? It's easy to mess up, as if you do a throwing motion with your arm, as if you were tossing a baseball, your wrist will naturally rotate to the left. I used to have this problem with a lot of my hand launched planes until I figure that out. You kinda gotta actively think about it when your throwing but its worked for me.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,909 Posts
All single fan EDFs torque roll left. (Some twins have counter rotating fans)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Hmmm. I stand corrected
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
All single fan EDFs torque roll left. (Some twins have counter rotating fans)
Hey efflux -------Thanks for sending my EDF out so fast just before the holiday. Thanks

And balancing was great until i forgot to clean the dirt out of the scoop and hit the gas for second flight (my first EDF). It just sanded the trailing edges of the fan tips. Seems to be no vibration. Damn i felt dumb.

Anyways the Squall moves out with the 2w20 and 9604 under it.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
swps, I don't think that was torque roll. Most edf's don't have torque roll to my knowledge. To me it looked more like a wing stall. That exact same motion has happened to me on an f22 numerous times in the middle of a flight. It's usually when I'm doing a banking turn at close to stall speed. The whole plane will just do a 360. I think its because the lower ring on a turn loses lift and the weight of the other side of the plane pushes it over. I could be wrong on yours but I've seen it happen several times on mine while already in flight and i know for mine at least its not torque roll. Did you throw the plane perfectly level? It's easy to mess up, as if you do a throwing motion with your arm, as if you were tossing a baseball, your wrist will naturally rotate to the left. I used to have this problem with a lot of my hand launched planes until I figure that out. You kinda gotta actively think about it when your throwing but its worked for me.
Thanks for the tips, but in this case it was torque roll. I've thrown enough edf's to know how to do it just right (but I still get it wrong, like last week I got excited about and incoming flock of geese and put my 50mm T-45 in a baseball throw into the ground...plane was fine but the geese got away!) I had a 50mm AMX that would do it every time if I launched with too much throttle. Didn't think it would happen here with the Squall but I've seen it enough to know not to panic. Funny thing, the very next flight with my Phase 3 F-16 did it on launch too. There was a little cross wind so I'm sure that contributed as well.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Thats weird. Ive hand thrown the vast majority of edfs ive owned and never had torque roll. With prop planes yes. How does the squall compare to the 16.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,909 Posts
Quote:
Hey efflux -------Thanks for sending my EDF out so fast just before the holiday. Thanks

And balancing was great until i forgot to clean the dirt out of the scoop and hit the gas for second flight (my first EDF). It just sanded the trailing edges of the fan tips. Seems to be no vibration. Damn i felt dumb.

Anyways the Squall moves out with the 2w20 and 9604 under it.
I'm glad your enjoying it.

The Ph3 F-16 with that 4s setup does about 120 with a 2.2" outlet, so you should be pretty close to that.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:45 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
256 Posts
Anyone ever glue two Squalls together?
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Anyone ever glue two Squalls together?
This would be the bee's knees.

How would you ensure that the motors were getting the same voltage? Would you wire the two packs in parallel?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:45 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
This would be the bee's knees.

How would you ensure that the motors were getting the same voltage? Would you wire the two packs in parallel?
no , that would ruin the whole thing

u have to have asymmetrical thrust mixed with the 2 tv units
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r