Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
well that 5000 will check out the weight carrying capability

chuck.
I did not give that a ton of thought. 5000 is almost double the 2650ma. In my head i thought guys fly 6s 2400 so that should be the same, if not close to the same weight. Guess i was wrong there.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:27 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
I did not give that a ton of thought. 5000 is almost double the 2650ma. In my head i thought guys fly 6s 2400 so that should be the same, if not close to the same weight. Guess i was wrong there.
well a 3cell 5000 would be the same , i figured u were talking 4's? u may be fine, there is a lot of wing area, i know some guys were commenting on instability and a need to go forward w/ the cg when the auw got up there, interesting when they are so stable near stock.

did not mean u were doing anything wrong, i am one to push the envelope also

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
well a 3cell 5000 would be the same , i figured u were talking 4's? u may be fine, there is a lot of wing area, i know some guys were commenting on instability and a need to go forward w/ the cg when the auw got up there, interesting when they are so stable near stock.

did not mean u were doing anything wrong, i am one to push the envelope also

chuck.
We are talking 4s. Double as in milliamps. I changed the order to a 4s 4500 last night to help bring the weight down. And i had 1.5 oz of lead in the nose to counter the fan unit weight that i took out . I added that to stabilize how she fly's for first flight.. So those changes pull about 150 / 160 grams out.

Thanks for the feedback. I am somewhat new to electrics and very new to EDF. Been flying gassers forever.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
It's so great to see that this plane is still kicking. I'm honored to have been the guy who started this thread!!

My Squall lived a pretty short life, the original fan spontaneously expoloded (as many did)...I had to cut the duct off to replace the rotor, of course. It did fly again but I was proud of my build and having to mutilate it spoiled the model for me.

If I build another, the duct will certainly be removable...Is there a favored method? Will magnets do the trick?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
It's so great to see that this plane is still kicking. I'm honored to have been the guy who started this thread!!

My Squall lived a pretty short life, the original fan spontaneously expoloded (as many did)...I had to cut the duct off to replace the rotor, of course. It did fly again but I was proud of my build and having to mutilate it spoiled the model for me.

If I build another, the duct will certainly be removable...Is there a favored method? Will magnets do the trick?
Where i cut my duct i added a piece of clear mylar to the front halve facing aft on the aft end so it hangs over the aft piece of the duct . It works to hold the front of the aft duct down. Then when i slide the tail cone or TV cone on that holds the aft end of the duct in place. Now all i have to do is pull the tail cone off the aft duct just slides out. works perfect.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
15 Posts
squall could be a good one 2 practice with as a stepping stone to the seb art mig 29 vectored thrust. very expensive to bring home in a carrier bag tho
boxster is offline Find More Posts by boxster
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Where i cut my duct i added a piece of clear mylar to the front halve facing aft on the aft end so it hangs over the aft piece of the duct . It works to hold the front of the aft duct down. Then when i slide the tail cone or TV cone on that holds the aft end of the duct in place. Now all i have to do is pull the tail cone off the aft duct just slides out. works perfect.
i like that method , i may try that w/ some added tape at the joint to the fuse, not real thrilled about no fan access either.

chuck.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,119 Posts
gtx, any luck w/ the rods?

chuck.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,937 Posts
Quote:
gtx, any luck w/ the rods?

chuck.
Chuck,
I checked every inch of the box...they weren't there.
I then called Hobby People...The guy who answered the phone was at first resistant to the idea that the kit was even sold as a package with the VT unit! I had to log onto the web site, pull up the item number (since checking my order history was inconvenient, I guess. ) and prove it to him....once he was convinced, he said that they would mail the connecting rods right out.

I have no idea how long it will take for those to arrive...but you'll be the first to know. Again, no worries if you find another VT unit or lose interest in the mean time.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:56 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,119 Posts
thanks,
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,613 Posts
Has anyone found a good deal on the Squall? Very surprised Hobby People did not have a sale on it Friday and/or Monday
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Has anyone found a good deal on the Squall? Very surprised Hobby People did not have a sale on it Friday and/or Monday
Your kidding right. All they did was have sales on the Squall. I picked up two with TV for $39 Friday a piece. The other days it was $49 with TV.

Now if your talking with Motor and ESC your right but you dont want the stock motor fan combo. The fan blows apart it you do not strip it down and locktite and retorque.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Crap. 39 a piece. How did i miss that. I got 2 of the 16s for 30
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,937 Posts
keep checking back. HP frequently plays with the pricing on all of their models.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
I screwed up and brought the black to far fwd. What was i thinking. Other then that it looks ok.

I Might have to get out some white and red and fix it