HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
How good will this squall fly with my dons wicked 4000 on 4s 2650 lipo? I am trying to find a new home for my power setup.
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Hi all, new Squall HP owner here VT on mine, stock setup on 3000mah 30C Red Dragon lipos. Getting 7+ minute flights of aggresive flights here with time to spare! Still determining how far I can stretch flight times based on mah replenished during charges vs mah's remaining...winding up with about 1000mah reserve. Cool

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement! Really liking the extra capability offered by the VT. Landing is taking some getting used to, I'm coming in low-and-slow in high alpha and letting it just kind-of plop down rather than skidding in...have seen some youtube vids of skids gone wrong with this jet. Been reading this forum about the grenading fans...mine's the three-blade unit, no issues yet.

I'm so impressed with this jet that I'm thinking about scratch-building a larger one...90mm-ish EDF, blue foam board (not profile though, gonna be built up), maybe some canards up front. Definitely gonna put servoless retracts on it Thrust tube, high-rpm setup...I want it to be a blur as it zooms by!

I'm still relatively new to EDFs, this is actually my first EDF purchase though by far not the first EDF I've flown...been more into 3D/aerobatic stuff but I've recently been bitten by the speed bug. I've been having an issue with another speed plane, a mini Bobcat that utilizes a pusher prop configuration...the high RPM application (36K RPMs) has eaten two receivers...they still work but the throttle port/plug goes out. Weird! Using 60A ESCs on a 30A max draw motor (yes, overkill...but would rather cook the motor than fry an ESC and lose the plane)...don't understand it.

Any of ya'll experienced/experiencing this type of issue on high-RPM applications? I wanna get this ironed out before I move forward with EDF...would hate to spend time and $$$ only to lose a build from this.

Thanks in advance
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
John Green
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2007
617 Posts
You might want to run a separate UBEC as it sounds like you're burning out the receiver buss from the ESC BEC putting more load on the curcuit than it can handle.
John
PlumberJohn is offline Find More Posts by PlumberJohn
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
61 Posts
Whoa, PlumberJohn!

Let me see if I understand. DC goes from the battery to the ESC, where the BEC bleeds off enough for the RX and servos. The servos are drawing too much current through the receiver, thereby burning out the receiver's DC bus. Right? So a UBEC would supply DC directly from the battery to the servos, with the ESC's BEC supplying a separate DC to run the receiver.

Have I got it right??

Without the UBEC, the ESC's BEC throttle input signal would come from the receiver's throttle output. Is the reciever supposed to supply a constant DC to the ESC's BEC throttle input, or just a positive-going square wave referenced to ground?
Rutabaga is offline Find More Posts by Rutabaga
Last edited by Rutabaga; Sep 19, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: misspelled "receiver" & "PlumberJohn"
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a Squall.

I was wondering how the 4S version runs on 3S batteries. I have a few 2200mah 3S around from my other planes. It'd be nice to able to use them until I get some new 4 cells.

Anyone know how the 4S running 3S Lipos compares to the 3S running the same?

Awkward to write that but you get my drift.

phox.
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Darn!! Got mine all together and did'nt the left elevon crap out! I managed to get it out without having to remove the bottom scoop. Got the esc held in with a small zip tie. Will have to chose a diff route for the wire now. May try the 3S idea once I get it flying. The 4S 220MAH sounds heavy.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a Squall.

I was wondering how the 4S version runs on 3S batteries. I have a few 2200mah 3S around from my other planes. It'd be nice to able to use them until I get some new 4 cells.

Anyone know how the 4S running 3S Lipos compares to the 3S running the same?

Awkward to write that but you get my drift.

phox.
Just in case anyone else wondered. I'm told the 4 cell version will only run on 4 cell batteries.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,028 Posts
Quote:
Just in case anyone else wondered. I'm told the 4 cell version will only run on 4 cell batteries.
Thx,
You weren't the only one who was wondering
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Thx,
You weren't the only one who was wondering
J
I emailed the shop and asked them about it. I also noticed it says '4cell' in the motor and esc specs.

I'm going to go with the 3 cell version so I can use the batteries I already have lying around.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
Quote:
I emailed the shop and asked them about it. I also noticed it says '4cell' in the motor and esc specs.

I'm going to go with the 3 cell version so I can use the batteries I already have lying around.
The 3 cell version has a higher kv motor.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The 3 cell version has a lower kv motor.
Higher...no?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Higher...no?
correct , higher and a different rotor.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar View Post
Darn!! Got mine all together and did'nt the left elevon crap out! I managed to get it out without having to remove the bottom scoop. Got the esc held in with a small zip tie. Will have to chose a diff route for the wire now. May try the 3S idea once I get it flying. The 4S 220MAH sounds heavy.
this airframe carries the 4cell no problem , lots of wing area. the recommended is a 2600 i think , but we liked the high c 2200/ 4cell.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Higher...no?
You are corrrect. Dyslexia is an awful disease.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
First flight today on mine. Easy to hand launch. Stock set up is quite fast enough for my old eyes (darn floarers!!). Strong verticles but not endless. With a 1.8 mah 35-70C Nano tech it came down at 5.13 minutes with 38% battery left. With a 2.2mah 35-70 C it came down at about 6 min. with 37% left. I did not try 3S. I used about 60% expo.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar