crashed again today , must stop messing around and get some height
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:44 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
Goody and King, it isn't as bad as you think!

It took two of us to pull this one out! The carbon rod helped the nose to penetrate farther. Better luck next time!
A suggestion to Goody, stay with the same airframe untill you can make it do what you want it to then go for a change.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Goody and King, it isn't as bad as you think!

It took two of us to pull this one out! The carbon rod helped the nose to penetrate farther. Better luck next time!
A suggestion to Goody, stay with the same airframe untill you can make it do what you want it to then go for a change.
I hope you didn't do that just to make me and King feel better??

I loved flying my Squall - I just dumb thumbed it, (actually my first crash in several months).

But yes it probably won't be my last Squall; but I took delivery of my FW F-16 with VT today. It'll help me get over the Squall for the moment

What happened with yours??
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:13 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
An AR500 happened....but I think the power wire desoldered from the esc or something, motor/batt was good, esc and Rx were trashed
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:17 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
An AR500 happened....but I think the power wire desoldered from the esc or something, motor/batt was good, esc and Rx were trashed
Bugger, sorry to hear. Was a very cool colour scheme BTW.
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
apex , i remember seeing those photos way back in the thread , are you still flying your 170mph squall ?

mine is back into flying shape ready for the next crash

i have a second airframe that is in the shop being prepared for when the first ones past repairing

dave
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:58 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
I have secret plans to make the 200 mph mark again, the rudder is still bashed off from the last landing and a wing crack needs worked. The parts box has enough stuff to make the rebuild but haven't got off my tail to do it. Don't tell Gary I have another kit stashed neither! I have a P3 F-16 I wanted to build forever too, decisions,,,,
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,945 Posts
AA,
Wouldn't it be easier to get that F-16 up to 200? I heard they're waaaaaaaay slicker than the Squall.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
It would have a hard time carring the batt I'd need for the amps.
I cobbled together a system I think is going to do it but it needs 200 amps to get the sustained 62.5k rpm needed for the efflux to go that fast on 5s. I need some serious cooling also.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:07 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,945 Posts
Yeah, I guess you'd need a hellofa bungee launch to get the F-16 going.
So whats the trick for getting cooling while still maintaining aerodynamics? NACA scoops? Internal airducting/suction from the fan?
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
200mph

was watching some pylon racing a few weeks ago , one guy had a electric racer that went 265mph the battery only lasted 60 seconds he was flying on 7 cells

dave
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:32 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
I keep in practice with a SunRacer! This weekend we got 154.8mph on 3s into the wind, couldn't get a downwind doppler.
jg, plenty of thermal paste! I'm swapping out a 125esc for a 180 so it'll handle the heat. The main part of cooling is keeping my foot out of it, I need to save the burn for fast passes rather than tearing up the sky!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
hope to have number two in the air soon , number one has been sold on
think the guy was a bit of a nutter after seeing the plane had been crashed several times and was full of glue and filler nothing was still straight , he made me a offer i could'nt refuse

i have glassed the whole air frame and inserted a 4mm carbon tube down the length of the under side from nose to intake , the airframe is a lot stiffer now and should stop the marks the old one got just from being picked up !

not bothered with all out speed just want something to get me through the winter months

dave
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:33 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,793 Posts
I hate to read through 300 pages of posts, so I'm hoping someone can just answer my question: I just ordered the 4S version. With a 30C 4S battery, what kind of speed can I expect stock? Thanks!
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:08 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
80-90? The speed isn't what gets you. Its the landing, I recommend going through the thread and watch the landings. Before I added a composite belly skid I got into high alpha and putted in to land and give a slight goose on the throttle just as the ass end touches down for a soft butt first landing.