HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:49 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
BTW the 4S version is on sale this weekend for $99.99.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...sult/?q=squall

wow..good stuff..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 08:18 PM
Blue skies & light winds
St-Isidore, New-Brunswick, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredVTT View Post
Hey Bill, ordered one from them not long ago, only took a week to get here all the way to the north east coast of NB, Canada, gonna get one?
skydive4ever is offline Find More Posts by skydive4ever
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:00 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive4ever View Post
Hey Bill, ordered one from them not long ago, only took a week to get here all the way to the north east coast of NB, Canada, gonna get one?
How was their shipping rate to NB..?

I have one now under s-l-o-w construction but I had been thinking of getting another to hop up later...when they're all gone..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:00 PM
willfly4$
United States, MS, Bay St Louis
Joined Apr 2005
250 Posts
okay im coming over to the dark side from 3d gassers.......
i have a squall on the way with the following:
HET 6904
ARC 28 47 1
CC Ice 100
HS-65s
Turnigy 3300 4s
Turnigy 3300 5s ( 2000 watts? dont know but will find out.....)

basically hoping for 3 things here,
1. to scare the crap out of myself
2. to go 140mph
3. to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a foam toy only to find out that i bought all the wrong stuff.

can anyone point me in the right direction for the 6904 fan mounting location? i have read 130 pages and im not seeing the "light"

CAVU skies!!
cleatis is offline Find More Posts by cleatis
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:38 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,440 Posts
I use the front line in the mounting area on the foam, go rearward, lay it out and start hogging foam.
I extend the tunnel 3.5" and lower the opening by 1/8", make a thrust tube and narrow to 2.3" get a max prouducts heat sink and apply with compound. You wanna go? keep your 5s WOT to a minimum and allow cooling between 20sec WOT shots. It can land on its tail if you're good so you don't doink the nose.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:56 PM
willfly4$
Joined Apr 2005
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero;
I use the front line in the mounting area on the foam, go rearward, lay it out and start hogging foam.
I extend the tunnel 3.5" and lower the opening by 1/8", make a thrust tube and narrow to 2.3" get a max prouducts heat sink and apply with compound. You wanna go? keep your 5s WOT to a minimum and allow cooling between 20sec WOT shots. It can land on its tail if you're good so you don't doink the nose.
Okay, got a clamshell heat sink already coming from lightflight along with the motor. Thanks for the recommendations on the fan install. Here's a question, what type of battery connector is used in applications of this wattage?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:52 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,440 Posts
Your still good with a Deans as long as you can solder well. Stay away from 6100's and AR 500's as far as Rx's go, if you plan to run hard I'd go for a 6200 Rx with dual antennas.
Stay away from FM also
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:43 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,440 Posts
Cleatis,
Also you want to wrap the motor with a layer of paper to center it into the mount, Play with the set using a 3s pack and low throttle to find the sweet spot for the rotor by loostening the screw and rotating the rotor 1/4 turn or less each time til it runs true, mount up then try 4s.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:24 AM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
Here is my Squall, Het 2w20, 4s 35C 2600maH. I installed 2 little fins under the cockpit, just at the beginning of the wings. I epoxied this part of the nose.
It is supposed to skid on landing and to avoid to stuck on the nose and make a loop on the grass.
The access to the motor is fixed to the belly with 2 bolts. Scotch all around make it airproof and help in case bolts unscrew.
I found the best balanced and now it starts very well on launching, full throttle.
Its starts 30 climb like on all video.
Low pass
Gildas is offline Find More Posts by Gildas
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
willfly4$
Joined Apr 2005
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Cleatis,
Also you want to wrap the motor with a layer of paper to center it into the mount, Play with the set using a 3s pack and low throttle to find the sweet spot for the rotor by loostening the screw and rotating the rotor 1/4 turn or less each time til it runs true, mount up then try 4s.
thanks for the advise, as far as radio equipment, i use hitec optima rxs. ill check the fan unit as you say. i have some 3/4 oz glass to work with and i thought about the morganmill stuff but i saw that a guy got 130+ out of a stock squall so im just doin it lowtech style for now. when i crash it i will let you guys know!!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,440 Posts
Tailslide's was way souped up with power but was a stock unmodified airframe......
Any way number 4 is done and hope to maiden tomorrow. Hope to have adequate video for speed runs, all will be posted in the Monster Squall thread
Last edited by ApexAero; Oct 15, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
i just checked hobbypeople's website, but can't find it. does anyone know if the squall is available as an airframe only, no electronics?
i've crashed my 6th phase 3 f16 a few weeks ago and want to try something different.

is the battery bay of the squall as big as the f16's? i was running a het fan with an arc 28-47-1 and 4000mah 4s lipos in the f16. she was a rocket, but a damned tree got in the way hehe.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Oct 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
I have the f-16 and the squall. The battery bay in the squall is much larger than the f-16. Today we test fitted a buddy.s 3300 5s 65c pack in the sguall and it dropped right in!
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:00 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
I have the f-16 and the squall. The battery bay in the squall is much larger than the f-16. Today we test fitted a buddy.s 3300 5s 65c pack in the sguall and it dropped right in!
that's some good news right there
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
Jets are my drug of choice!
wellsville, ohio
Joined Mar 2007
595 Posts
anyone have a link to buy the extended belly pan. i used to have a link to it but this is a new computer and i really dont wanna look though every page to find it thanks for the help in advance.
the_only_kris_20 is offline Find More Posts by the_only_kris_20