HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxr View Post
Oh sorry - my message was another. My HET 2W Squall! was fine. The prob is that she "was fine", as I crashed it. From the crash the lipo died and the motor also - never had something like this. Now I built a stock HP Squall! because I have not enough time for a modded one . . . and want to fly immediately.

But as I checked the crashed HET-version I saw that the high Amperes of the 2W (60A) showed some effects. the solder points of the motor wires looked a bit toasted and the area where those passed the fuse showed some melted foam. I think a 2W-20 on 4s with some lower Amperes could be the better way to go.

But now I have to check my new one. What would you speculate the 4s HP to perform in comparison to my old HET 2W driven? Will the speed be significant lower. From calculating it the HET had around 720 W (12Vx60A) - the stock 4s HP should reach around 670W (16Vx42A). The TV unit may waste some watts I believe.

Ah the "I should have pulled earlier" was a (to low) dive, where I didnt manage to pull her up. It crashed on the belly/inlet (another 2 meters and I had rescued it...) , the ESC shot through the plane and the motor was damaged from the impact. A friend said "yes - yes those jets dont get to old".
markus
Thanks fro clarifying . . .I like your friends comment about "those jets don't get old . . ." Thats funny!
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Yep tbird - just to give all (who like) some input on how the Squall! with HET 6904/2W performed and what was to do:

-at first you need to open up the place for the fan a bit, the diameter of the 6904 is about 1-2 mm wider as the squall fan. I used a milk bottle with exactly the diameter of the 6904 and glued sandingpaper on it and rubbed and sanded .......I glued my fan in with lots of UHU-por for reducing resonances.

-test the 6904 with the mounted 2w for balance before mounting it, those drives often(!) are very disbalanced. I moved the spinner around, and one time it was ok - take this time!

-the CG came with my AUW of about 900-950 gr to 45 mm! Dont go behind, this crashed my cockpit on the first maiden. Around 45 mm its a pussy-cat.

-the speed was estimated around 100-105 mph (160-170km/h) - it "feels" really fast !

-the start is super easy throw in a steep angle (45) up with 100%, reduce immediately after its stable. Dont go to slow with it, it will loose lots of altitude in stalls.

-I landed it without motor, just gliding/sailing it. Without TV I needed plain areas to slide it out. Try slowing it down on high alpha (didnt work everytime). I added a piece under the nosecone in order that the nose doesnt stick in.

-my 3s - 3200 30C lipos gave me max. 4 min mixed flight, they became really warm. Give the 2w some afterrunning time for cooling down (some 30sec) - better: fly the last minute with 50-60% throttle for cooling down.

-the inlet must be glassed, I glued the whole cockpitfloor with thin plywood for increasing the stability and for getting a tight lipo fixation. The whole plane got 3 paints with wbpu for stiffness, thats imho important.

-Not to forget the fun: this squall was a real eyecatcher because of its sound and speed. It was not to loud, and had some turbine like sound. Very nice. The audience was always interested in Squall flights

If questions remain open, ask , I am happy to answer about this great mod!

once again for your eyes (sound is bad. it was really stormy) :
phase 3 Squall! RC Jet - HET - Götzenhain.wmv (2 min 11 sec)

Markus
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,061 Posts
New inrunner range at Bidproduct

Bidproduct (China) listed some new inrunners this week.
(Go here and click on XFly

I doubt it will be the same quality as ARC but I'm going to give it a go. I haven't seen any info on them anywhere.

I want to buy one of the 2858 or 2868 motors and run it in a 6904. How would I go about deciding on a specific kv rating? Can I compare kv or resistance to that of the ARC's? I would like the setup to be in the 1.2-1.6kW range.

I have a Turnigy plush 80A esc that should be good up to 6S that I would like to use.

Here is a table with the available winds for the 2868:

Another question, does the ARC 28-xx-1 etc really just have 1 turn? For the same resistance the XFly motor has at least 6 turns
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:19 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,482 Posts
I just bought the 4 Cell version Squall !

How fast is the plane Stock ? I have a radar gun ... but I want to know what to expect .....

And has anyone used an HET 2W-20 on this plane ?
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,061 Posts
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Last edited by MegaTesla; Aug 26, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:55 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,482 Posts
Thanks .... the only bad thing is ........

As soon as I plugged in my battery 4s 2150 the motor or ESC smoked ... don't know why ... but it did ....

125 bucks for a little smoke ....

I should have bought new ....
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:13 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
...the posted links are "dead", maybe just some simple, written answers could have helped wamsy

I speculate the 4s-stock could go around 80-90mph

Yes 2W-20 were done on Squalls!, with high-amp lipos this could be enough for 100-110 mph

both values are estimated, but shouldnt be too close from reality

Bummer for your drive wamsy - inverted polarity ?
markus
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:23 AM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
356 Posts
I run the 2w20 in the stock 3 cell fan unit. On 5s the data log shows 56,700 rpm @ 56 AMPS. I would estimate about 110 mph.
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:42 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxr View Post
...the posted links are "dead", maybe just some simple, written answers could have helped wamsy

I speculate the 4s-stock could go around 80-90mph

Yes 2W-20 were done on Squalls!, with high-amp lipos this could be enough for 100-110 mph

both values are estimated, but shouldnt be too close from reality

Bummer for your drive wamsy - inverted polarity ?
markus
No all the servos worked and everything for a couple minutes ..... and then the magic white smoke appeared ....

Maybe I can get it going with my HET 2w-20 ....

80-90 was exactly what I wanted stock ....
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:50 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
If and when setup the ele at the prescribed 12mm but only use 6 to 8mm on ali cause it will roll like a drill bit! Dual rates could have the full 12mm on high rate for landing etc.

Quote:
Maybe I can get it going with my HET 2w-20
Think on a heavier esc if you do. A 30c 2150 can produce 64-65 amps.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Aug 26, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:27 AM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
Hello
I got my squall yesterday.
The diameter of the TV seems larger than the tail pipe diameter and it does not fit. My question is: Do you cut the Tail Pipe and shorten it to fit the TV.
I think I must cut the part where I draw a black line on the photo I took from one of you. Is that right?
Gildas is offline Find More Posts by Gildas
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:12 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Do a search for squall manuals. The foam exhaust needs cut off 25mm. Maybe more because the rudder vein on the TVU tends to rub on the foam.
http://www.phase3models.com/instructions/PH019-13.pdf
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:33 AM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
Thank's for the link !.
By shortening the Tail Pipe, do you loose speed ?
Gildas is offline Find More Posts by Gildas
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Not on mine. As I remember it only looses about 1mm dia but the TV has its restriction too. I glued mine with bath tub silicone. Easier to remove if need be.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:33 AM
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
389 Posts
Almost done with my 4 Cell - TV unit. This will be my second Squall. The first was a 3 cell and I flew it until the fan exploded (probably 50 or so flights). I did not build it with repair in mind and the damage to the shroud would have required complete replacement. So I scrapped it and started on this one. I've been working on it about 3 hours now and will have it ready for tomorrow. I just need to put the decals on (Wish I had time in life to do a nice paint job but I don't).
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester