HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:26 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Squall....in flight

here are a couple of pictures my buddy took of my squall.....usually it's going by too fast....
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:25 AM
fountain valley
Joined Jul 2008
58 Posts
Wut up

My stock squall goes 103mph.i dont know why people have trouble with launch or with geting speed out of it.if you take an hour to clean it up when you take it out of the box,you should easily get 90 mph out of it.i cleaned mine up by sharpening all the trailing edges,i sharpened the intake lip,but only after i layed some carbon unidirectional fibers on the lip,then sanded it till it was razor sharp.i also extended the intake 3 inches.and now i get some very good speed runs.i have the video posted here.i have bought 6 of these planes and have 3 left,lol.its such a fun plane,even though i have terrible eye sight.....thanks
keone m. is offline Find More Posts by keone m.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 01:04 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
Does anyone have any interest in buying my 4S Squall? It would be a local pickup.

I need to give it to a new home, someone who will fly it more than me, because it;s a bit too loud for where i live and i've attracted some unwanted attention with it last time. The only think you would need is a radio, otherwise everything else is included (including 2 4s 2100 30c packs)
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:50 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
561 Posts
Motor Mount Failure

Hi, all,

I've read a good part of this thread and can't remember if others have reported this problem. On my third flight, at about 1/2 throttle, the motor mount broke, tilting and wedging the fan in the housing. Landed OK, but that shouldn't happen! LHS talked with distributor and got a new fuse and EDF, but no decals, and no nose and tail plastic pieces. So now I'm trying to decide what to do. Rip old one apart, or build new.

I will try to reinforce the mount with glass/epoxy in places where the other broke. We'll see...

Just a word of warning to others.

Flyr John in Floyd VA
jhark37 is online now Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:14 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
That is very unfortunate. I haven't heard of any of them breaking. Was your fan unit balanced properly?
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:40 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Hi, all,

I've read a good part of this thread and can't remember if others have reported this problem. On my third flight, at about 1/2 throttle, the motor mount broke, tilting and wedging the fan in the housing. Landed OK, but that shouldn't happen! LHS talked with distributor and got a new fuse and EDF, but no decals, and no nose and tail plastic pieces. So now I'm trying to decide what to do. Rip old one apart, or build new.

I will try to reinforce the mount with glass/epoxy in places where the other broke. We'll see...

Just a word of warning to others.

Flyr John in Floyd VA
Can you post any pictures? I have not heard of this....did you "Locktite" the screws....I broke the center mount on F16 because the screws got loose...and the vibrations craked it. Took it apart to try a new motor and every spoke was broken....saved a crash or loss of the plane....
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:14 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
A thought similar to mjdee also came to my mind...........did you locktite the screws? Keep in mind that the locktite fluid will Slowly soften the plastic fan parts, severely weakening them. That plastic will turn too goo fairly quickly, so it is vital that locktite fluid never touches the plastic anywhere.

A very good builder/build thread for my HET F-20 showed how he uses a toothpick to lightly dab the locktite into the motor screw threads so the fluid can't get to the plastic....he called it VITAL.
Hope you get it fixed up and flying again soon,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:05 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Hi guys,
My experience is limited on the P3 shroud but I did notice 3 heavy stators and 3 light stators, the motor mount can hold a 29mm motor. So me, I put in a Neu motor and a new HET blade, get it all trued up on 3s then put 5s to it and it fragged on me! The stators let go and just like jhark37 it spit out the pieces.
John I have the plastic you need.
I need a tunnel....
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:41 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
A thought similar to mjdee also came to my mind...........did you locktite the screws? Keep in mind that the locktite fluid will Slowly soften the plastic fan parts, severely weakening them. That plastic will turn too goo fairly quickly, so it is vital that locktite fluid never touches the plastic anywhere.

A very good builder/build thread for my HET F-20 showed how he uses a toothpick to lightly dab the locktite into the motor screw threads so the fluid can't get to the plastic....he called it VITAL.
Hope you get it fixed up and flying again soon,

Ken
I've been reading about the LockTite issue, and can assure you I did not use it. Checked to make sure all screws were tight, nothing more. I'll try to take and post a couple of pics. The failures occurred at the shoulders of the mount, where it bends into the cylindrical motor holder, not at the screw locations.

Flyr John in Floyd VA
jhark37 is online now Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:32 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
My cure to any plastic melting with the use of locktite is simply put it on the friggin screw and let dry. It works when trying to remove a screw right? It works the same when putting the screw in with dry locktite. Spread the word so the whole planet will know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:09 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Loctite cures in the absense of air, why its called an anaerobic retainer in some parts of the world. I have never had it "dry" on anything, just turn into a greasy mess, unless its used as directed and it cures in the gap between the threads, different grades(or numbers) are for different gap and thread sizes, as well as strength.

What loctite are you using?
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:03 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Z-42, and the stuff drys all around the lid, it drys up when I put out a drop to dip the tip of the screw in. It drys when the screw is set down. If that isn't enough then try a dab of CA. It will work the same.
Quote:
just turn into a greasy mess, unless its used as directed and it cures in the gap between the threads
If your brand only drys to a tack try wiping off the excess when it sets some. At least you'll not get the raw liquid on the plastic screw mount area of the housing. It's easier to dip the screw tips and let dry rather than take the time to dab each one as you go.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Aug 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
I have never had it "dry" on anything, just turn into a greasy mess, unless its used as directed and it cures in the gap between the threads
I have used 3 different brands, and mine does the same thing.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Hi Guys . . .lookin for some quick answers before I pick up my plane . . .

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I've read and re-read this entire thread and now, it's all kind of running together in my head. Hoping someone can make some quick sense of it . . .

I have on order:

3S Squall
VT/TV unit with linkages
Hitec Optima 7 rx (Hitec Aurora TX)
Turnigy 100A ESC
Deminsion Engineering SportBEC
HS55 servo(s) all the way around
MorganMill full bellypan and esc fairing http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_032.htm

So the questions:

Can I run this mostly stock 3S model with 4s lipos without other mods or damage?

What performance/flight time can I reallistically expect with 3S Squall and 30c 3S 2200 batteries?

Initially there were some quality concerns with the stock fans/shrouds. Has this been correctly and sufficiently addressed by the factory and how do I tell if my model has the upgraded/improved components?

What is the best "drop-in" fan that will work with factory motor? What is the best "drop-in" upgraded fan/motor combo?

Thanks in advance!

Tbird
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:17 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
I don't have time to read through almost 4000 posts. What is the best solution someone has come up with to keep the nose from digging into the ground when landing?
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof