SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:23 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
684 Posts
Sorry, my question was not worded well.

Can it be flown without the use of rudder. I would prefer just tailerons but does it fly well without installing the rudder servo.

And are the hinge tapes on the tailerons sufficiently strong or do people mod them?

thanks for any guidance
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
Sorry, my question was not worded well.

Can it be flown without the use of rudder. I would prefer just tailerons but does it fly well without installing the rudder servo.

And are the hinge tapes on the tailerons sufficiently strong or do people mod them?

thanks for any guidance
I have the rudder servo installed but don't use it for what I'm using the Squall for. It will fly without the servo installed, but you will have to move your gear back to achieve the cofg(no servo weight in the tail). The added decals will improve the strength of the hinge line which works for me.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
Registered User
Greece
Joined Nov 2009
87 Posts
i barelly used rudder too but with thrust vector makes big difference
sniper78 is offline Find More Posts by sniper78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:27 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Steph280's Avatar
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,541 Posts
Had about 10 flights on my Squall these past two weeks. Thought I share some experiences:
1. Compared to the EF-16, it is less twitchy. But makes a wider turn than the EF-16.
2. Had more close calls with self launches, probably due to its weight? Not sure.
3. It is slower than the EF-16 at wide open throttle. I am running HET 6904 2w-20 on both and difference is noticeable.
4. Like the others have said, the intake lip is the weak point of this plane. I could bring the plane in nice and smooth, but as soon as it touches the grass, thump! The lip would catch. And it did crumbled the intake in my last flight. I have the belly pan kit coming from Morgan, and I am hoping it will solve this problem for me.
5. If you aren't going to install thrust vectoring, don't bother installing the rudder servo. I wish I can remove mine, it made the plane barely balanceable.

It is a fun plane for sure. But I am not about to retire my EF-16 yet.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:51 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Had about 10 flights on my Squall these past two weeks. Thought I share some experiences:
1. Compared to the EF-16, it is less twitchy. But makes a wider turn than the EF-16.
2. Had more close calls with self launches, probably due to its weight? Not sure.
3. It is slower than the EF-16 at wide open throttle. I am running HET 6904 2w-20 on both and difference is noticeable.
4. Like the others have said, the intake lip is the weak point of this plane. I could bring the plane in nice and smooth, but as soon as it touches the grass, thump! The lip would catch. And it did crumbled the intake in my last flight. I have the belly pan kit coming from Morgan, and I am hoping it will solve this problem for me.
5. If you aren't going to install thrust vectoring, don't bother installing the rudder servo. I wish I can remove mine, it made the plane barely balanceable.

It is a fun plane for sure. But I am not about to retire my EF-16 yet.
Great summary and I really like the high visibility paint scheme.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Registered User
mjdee14's Avatar
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
steph.....

Nice looking planes.....I love both my squall and Ef16....running 4s in both and they both scream....I'm a little more cautious with the squall....since it seems things happen a lot faster.

I found a 3m rock gaurd product they use on cars....stuck it on the bottom and land both planes on asphalt runway...no more catching the lip....I also took a coat hangar and made a "U" shape and mounted up front...it keeps the nose from digging in....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
steph.....

Nice looking planes.....I love both my squall and Ef16....running 4s in both and they both scream....I'm a little more cautious with the squall....since it seems things happen a lot faster.

I found a 3m rock gaurd product they use on cars....stuck it on the bottom and land both planes on asphalt runway...no more catching the lip....I also took a coat hangar and made a "U" shape and mounted up front...it keeps the nose from digging in....
can you tell me any more re. the 3m rock guard? i posted awhile back looking for just such a product , but got no response. i land on asphalt also and sure need something. i ended up using a piece of clear plastic from a booze bottle that had the correct curve. dont know how long it will last yet as i just got it installed, seemed fairly tough when i rubbed it on the black top.

thanks, chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:20 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
ApexAero's Avatar
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
R/C cars have a film that resists scuffing that adheres to the bottom, a few guys here have used it on the bellys and wing tips with great success. Drivers Seat has rock guard.
Toyota has it also.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
can you tell me any more re. the 3m rock guard? i posted awhile back looking for just such a product , but got no response. i land on asphalt also and sure need something. i ended up using a piece of clear plastic from a booze bottle that had the correct curve. dont know how long it will last yet as i just got it installed, seemed fairly tough when i rubbed it on the black top.

thanks, chuck.
I used to call it helicopter tape when I raced full size cars alluding to it being placed on the blade leading edge. I'd apply a layer of "helicopter tape" to rocker areas where tires would kick up hot rubber and rocks.

3M make the protective film. Below is a link:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rotection/Film
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:04 AM
Registered User
mjdee14's Avatar
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
can you tell me any more re. the 3m rock guard? i posted awhile back looking for just such a product , but got no response. i land on asphalt also and sure need something. i ended up using a piece of clear plastic from a booze bottle that had the correct curve. dont know how long it will last yet as i just got it installed, seemed fairly tough when i rubbed it on the black top.

thanks, chuck.
http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T902.../dp/B000HNFCHQ

This the stuff I use....found it at Amazon pretty cheap....google T9020 clear trim and you will get several places to buy it.....it's great stuff and after amny landings it shows almost no wear....just scuffmarks....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,313 Posts
thanks guys for all the info on the rock guard ect.

after posting a new thread in the foamy edf forum and getting no response, this is a pleasant change .

one other question, how thick is this stuff? like a few layers of packing tape?

anyway ,thanks again,

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:49 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
ApexAero's Avatar
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
how thick is this stuff?
About like laminating film for cards etc.

I have a delima, choosing between two motor types I have, do I go with a 4s that can run on 5s for short periods or go with a 5s dedicated as 4s on the one isn't stellar but is the shiz on 5s with power and efficiency.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:14 PM
Uh Oh......
Moleman rc's Avatar
United Kingdom, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
I wouldn't go with the one that can run on 5s for short periods risk of burning the motor out and it probably wouldn't last as long. For a Squall I would stick to 4s as 5s is just extra weight.
Moleman rc is offline Find More Posts by Moleman rc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:09 PM
Registered User
mjdee14's Avatar
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
thanks guys for all the info on the rock guard ect.

after posting a new thread in the foamy edf forum and getting no response, this is a pleasant change .

one other question, how thick is this stuff? like a few layers of packing tape?

anyway ,thanks again,

chuck.
yes maybe a little thicker than 2, but it it not real thick....and it takes a real beating....doesn't like to go around compound curves so cut severla smaller pieces...
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:52 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
thanks guys for all the info on the rock guard ect.

after posting a new thread in the foamy edf forum and getting no response, this is a pleasant change .

one other question, how thick is this stuff? like a few layers of packing tape?

anyway ,thanks again,

chuck.
Chuck,

Here are some product specs for 3M Trimguard for the $20 roll:

Product Features
  • Used to protect the door edges of vehicles from potential nicks and abrasion
  • 6 mil, clear coated urethane film that helps preserve the vehicle finish
  • The application is meant to be permanent; however, it can be removed if desired.
  • PN84901, .4 in x 10 yards.
  • with pressure sensitive adhesive.

Here is the link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Pai...=pd_sbs_auto_3
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Popular EDF Jets - Phase 3 Fantom - HobbyLobby - Firebird EZ-400 Foamy EDFs 127 Aug 02, 2012 08:47 AM
Sold EDF Unit from Phase 3 F16 $10 Shipped typhoonmaster Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Mar 15, 2009 01:27 PM
Discussion EDF vibration, Phase 3 EF-16 Friedclutch Foamy EDFs 5 Jul 16, 2008 10:23 PM
Discussion New EDF from BP hobbies Lance Nordby Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Nov 11, 2006 07:38 PM
Alert New EDF From Great Planes netmechanic Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Feb 19, 2006 04:23 PM