Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:29 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Excellent Prof100!

Nice job on the cut and finish.

For being the first out with pictures - you win an upcoming part for your Squall.

This is the next part I intend to machine a mold for.

It's very similar to the ESC Fairing I made for the
P3 F-16 in March of 2009.

Not to worry - with your removable Belly Pan you'll be able to install this with no hassle at all.

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
I painted the Squall, glassed the duct for strength, fitted an exit cone approx 80% FSA, sanded the wings and tail fin slightly. Here is a video for someone to Doppler if you would be so kind?

The problem I have is doing a WOT pass close enough to the camera! It was windy though.

Phase 3 Squall HET 7s. (2 min 18 sec)
Richardmid1 is offline Find More Posts by Richardmid1
Last edited by Richardmid1; Feb 13, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Well she sounds and looks great! It's just as you said, hard getting a pass near the camera.

I'll Doppler it when i get home, although I need temp for an accurate reading
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Excellent Prof100!

Nice job on the cut and finish.

For being the first out with pictures - you win an upcoming part for your Squall.

This is the next part I intend to machine a mold for.

It's very similar to the ESC Fairing I made for the
P3 F-16 in March of 2009.

Not to worry - with your removable Belly Pan you'll be able to install this with no hassle at all.

Cheers!

Gary
I am all set to paint the clear plastic. It's all scuffed and ready to go. 3M scotchbrite pad was used to scuff the plastic. The scuffed surface disappears when painted from the INSIDE. Scuffing with a not too aggressive Scotchbrite pad or 00 Steel wool is and old technique used to paint clear plastic bodies from the inside. It helps with paint adhesion to prevent the paint from chipping o flaking off. Also, you should wash (and dry the body) with garden variety dishwashing soap to remove any dust but more importantly any mold release agent if Gary uses a mold release agent. The mold release agent is not helpful to paint adhesion.

Thanks, I appreciate the award for being first.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Mar 10, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I hit flight 500 today! This is one well built foam jet. The only thing I have done is a repaint as the foam needed a little touch up.

New:

Now:
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
Help Protecting bottom:

I know it must be in this huge thread someplace. I have to land the Squall on a paved runway and would like to reinforce the bottom contact areas. I'm new to the Squall (4c version) so could someone tell exactly what to use or direct me to the pages covering this. thanks.
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardmid1 View Post
I painted the Squall, glassed the duct for strength, fitted an exit cone approx 80% FSA, sanded the wings and tail fin slightly. Here is a video for someone to Doppler if you would be so kind?

The problem I have is doing a WOT pass close enough to the camera! It was windy though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrKwCtuBY00
yep, she's faster

the first pass i picked up at 115mph

the rest were in the 110-115 range

If you can get a pass real close to the camera, the reading will only get more accurate (and go up, maybe to around 120 or so?)
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splais View Post
Help Protecting bottom:

I know it must be in this huge thread someplace. I have to land the Squall on a paved runway and would like to reinforce the bottom contact areas. I'm new to the Squall (4c version) so could someone tell exactly what to use or direct me to the pages covering this. thanks.
Might try one of these.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3175

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
Thanks.

I have another question. For the life of me I can't figure why this plane has a functioning rudder. What am I missing?
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:01 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I have another question. For the life of me I can't figure why this plane has a functioning rudder. What am I missing?

Makes for great "Flat Spins" will spin like a frisbee....then just throttle up and pull out....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:10 AM
Greece
Joined Nov 2009
87 Posts
today i ll maiden squall 4s with dsr !! first time i fly 4s
sniper78 is offline Find More Posts by sniper78
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:22 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

Works well even if you don't have the thrust vector unit. A low fast knife edge pass is cool right down the runway but for the most part I think the rudder is an added feature specifically designed into the frame for the vectoring option especially on a relatively small jet and no gear.

Mjdee14, It doesn't really do any flat spins without the vector unit but with it ON! On high rates you really gotta behave yourself cause it can get away from you but it will flat spin right and left on the way down if you want it to. I find the stunting capabilities better on calm days, no wind makes for better predictability once you learn its characteristics.
Tom
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:43 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Just ordered a 4S squall, $140 shipped from hobby people was too good to pass up. I had been looking in to just getting the foam and plastic pieces and doing a pusher setup, but you guys would shun me from this thread

Since theres 3000+ posts and nothing on the first page to help people along from the get-go, anyone want to give me a quick and dirty rundown, known issues, tips, tricks, etc?

Planning on using Zippy 2650 4S 30C, sound good? I would love to run Hyperion G3 VX's or pro powers, but the budget wont allow..

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Dylwad, Nothing to say bad about this edf, the impeller had a design revision done and has the explosion syndrome about gone. The better setup would be a HET 6904/ARC 28-47-1 and a 100A+ esc.
If you decide to go pusher I'll buy your intake tunnel. There is a guy that did a pusher squall and did well, I'd like to see if he has an intake also, I need a couple more
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
Thanks Gundamnitpete. I took the air speed sensor off so dont know what that would read now. The temp was only slightly above 0C, 5 at the most but wind chill was freezing! Is there an ideal distance range from the camera I should be aiming for?

What was the speed at 1:03 going from right to left? It probably wasn't even half throttle but was the closest to the camera, just out of interest?
Richardmid1 is offline Find More Posts by Richardmid1