HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kobkobico, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:46 AM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Discussion
My First Kit/Scratchbuild

After many micro RTF, I started getting bored always getting something completely made for me. I thought it was time to move on and make something myself for a change. I have been messing around with planes for over four years now, so I figured I could make something that resembled a plane, and perhaps even flew if I was lucky enough. I managed to do just that with this plane, which can fly surprisingly well! The wing is from a Guilow's Fairchild 24 kit, but the rest is my personal creation. All out weight is kind of on the heavy side. It is just shy of 5 oz with a wingspan of about 24". As such, it's no glider. Cutting the power is a sure way to bring it down, and fast. Otherwise, the small 10 gram brushless gives it more than enough power, and flight time ranges from about 5-7 minutes on a 350 mah battery. It isn't a duration flier, but is good enough for me. Up in the air (no pictures unfortunately, as I've been flying early in the morning solo and can't multitask that way!) it looks very neat, especially in the early morning when just a trickle of light can pass through the wings giving it a ghostly effect. I thought it was going to look like an ugly flying stick... but personally I think it looks cute. But, well, I made it so that's a heck of a bias! In the air, it is quite stable, though it doesn't appreciate the wind too much. Something is up with the way I built it, causing it to yaw to the left with up elevator and to the right with down elevator. Personally I just manually compensate without even a second thought, though this may annoy some (remember, I flew so many little RTF I got used to some strange flying habits, like my Wowee Dragonfly preferring left to right turns, AA Sport with a spiral dive, etc.) Also, cutting power in a climb is a big no-no. It leads to a leftward spiral dive which is difficult to recover from. Interestingly, otherwise stalls are mild with power on, so I just play safe with keeping a little throttle on at all times. It flies somewhat fast, being heavy, but not too fast. I would say just the right speed actually. In a dive without throttle, it can't get too fast, which I attribute to the incidence on the wings dragging it back. On full throttle it can climb fairly well, and I felt safe coming in for some close flybys as I could get out of them in an "emergency" situation very quick.

As a secondary result of over-strengthening (the first being weight), it is naturally quite durable. I have never had a good landing (it likes to nose in) and have tipped it over multiple times in ground handling tests. However, the covering is not the slightest bit scratched, and everything looks great. Heck, in the first test flight I cut the power in a climb and it did the spiral dive thing, from at least 25 feet, straight into asphalt. The wing popped off the joint, but nothing else happened, save a couple stripped servos. Well, enough chit-chat, time for some pics.

P.S. In the pictures on the bed the wing was not attached. The support wasn't glued on that loosely.

Scratchbuilt RC Plane Flight (0 min 28 sec)
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Last edited by kobkobico; Jun 22, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts