HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:36 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Question
Turnigy B/L esc getting very hot?! HELP!!!

I have a b/l turnigy 10amp esc running a turnigy aerodrive c2826-1900 that I got from gothelirc to run my maxir. Everytime its connected it will run through the startup and sing the little song then it gets VERY HOT and sends my servos to full throw one way! I set it up using a program card but hav'nt even got to fly the heli yet! What do you guys think is causing this? I'm also running an 11.1v 1100mah li-po.

Motor specs

esc specs
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:57 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
I think your esc is a little small, how many amps are you pulling? I think you need closer to 20A esc and/or a seperate bec
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:21 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,696 Posts
Not sure but it sounds like a BEC problem (I think you are saying this happens even when the motor is not running). Your servos may be drawing too much current (or the Pack voltage is too high) and the BEC simply is being overwhelmed and is shutting down.
Alan Hahn is online now Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:24 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Yeah, its happening before I even give an input to the motor. I have a CC phoenix 25amp and a link that will be on the way! That should solve the problem for good!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:27 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
I forgot to add that i'm running 3 ino-lab 202 servos on cyclic, an ino-lab 201 for the tail and a futaba g190 gyro.

servo info
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:28 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman923
I think your esc is a little small, how many amps are you pulling? I think you need closer to 20A esc and/or a seperate bec
I'm not very good with the electronics part (i'm learning) so how do I figure up how many amps i'm pulling?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:20 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
You use a Watt meter, such as the Watt's Up watt meter, which is commonly ~$40.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:00 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_dragonfly
I'm not very good with the electronics part (i'm learning) so how do I figure up how many amps i'm pulling?
Your probem is not motor amps. Those digital servos draw much more power than regular ones even when not flying. Specially at 12v so your best bet is an ESC with bigger BEC or a UBEC.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:18 AM
Eden Prairie, MN
Joined May 2008
332 Posts
I agree with Rich. Sounds like those little digitals are pulling some major current. I think the reason they may be drawing high current and pinning your servos is that the gyro may not be setup correctly, or you are starting your heli on a surface that might not be flat, or on it's side. At neutral, the servos should be centered and then they will be drawing much less current. Set the heli on a flat surface and if your sticks are neutral, then the servos should be too.

I do think that your ESC is a bit undersized. Have you setup this heli before? Do you have experience with them? I don't, but know the theory behind it and would look for some help.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Curtis
Beau0090_99 is offline Find More Posts by Beau0090_99
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_dragonfly
Wait a second,, Why am I even helping you, I made an offer on something your selling and you just totally blow me off!!! you stink!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067973
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:03 AM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Wait a second,, Why am I even helping you, I made an offer on something your selling and you just totally blow me off!!! you stink!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067973
You were not first.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:08 AM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Whatever, so your too busy to reply to my post or my pm until you get a better offer?? BUSTED!!,, Like I said you stink!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Whatever, so your too busy to reply to my post or my pm until you get a better offer?? BUSTED!!,, Like I said you stink!!!!!!!!!!
It does'nt matter what I say, you are still going to be right no matter what. Sorry if it hurt your feelings or it offended you. NOW GET OUT OF MY THREAD IF YOU CAN'T HELP THE SITUATION!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:33 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
After reviewing that thread it looked to me like the Key-ster thinks buyer sets pricing. $29? Maybe I should throw a fit if I go to the Toyota dealer and he won't sell me a Prius for half price?

PS Did I ever mention how much I love this place?
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Rich Its not like that at all, I really did have only $29 available in paypal at the time, I was $4 short of asking price, and again I would have been happy with ANY response.

I try to respond to turnigy/hobbywing questions here asap, I own alot of hobbywing and feel confident about helping others on them with the exception of the new platinum versions until they get the low timing issue's taken care of. I still think the esc is way too small and yes it sounds like a bec problem, If weight is not an issue I would run a 40A (some versions are switch mode bec )30A or a 25A, and with ubec's being so inexpensive I like a seperate 1 incase you fry the esc you don't send 12 volts thru the radio and will probally take care of the problem, make sure you do throttle calibration too.

Once again I'm sorry I was $4 short, I had just purchased 2 18A, and a 30A hobbywing and 6 new hxt900's for $45 a couple hours earlier so I really really don't think I'm setting prices.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067919

I'm sorry that you buy stuff then the price drops. The hobbywing/turnigy plush 40A is down to $24 at hobbycity and the volcano stickered version is $22 at hobbypartz and $6 for a decent ubec, I've paid as much as $70 for the 40A but I'm happy for others that are getting them at $22 and I still wonder if some of those 40A that say there linear are actually switch mode?? . The NEW Exceed/Hobbywing Platinum 40A version is only $31.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/hotdeals.html
Last edited by keyman923; Jun 22, 2009 at 07:11 PM.