Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2009, 04:55 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Help!
Green RC Super Tiger Moth ARF ????!!!!

I got one of these 78 inch kits for father's day. The structures and the fittings are worth what I paid for it.

The instructions are practically worthless. My kit pacakaged in 2006 even has an addendum to the instrucions, which doesn't make any sence WRT the original set.

Biggest disappointment where does the engine go wrt the rest of the fuselage? How far out should the thrust washer be from the fire wall.

"Attach the cowling with 3 self tapping screws"... Wher?

Has anyone figgured out these details? Or is there a better translated set of instructions?

TIA

Tom
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:02 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Sometimes.... you just have to act like you know what you are doing and make it work.

I've run into this type of poor instruction issue with a few ARFs...

Slide the cowl in place so it looks right. (eyeball comparison to a good picture will be pretty accurate...) Tape in place. Poke a ruler in through the hole the prop shaft is supposed to come out of and measure from the front of the cowl to the firewall. Add 1/4 inch. Thats how far out the back of the spinner should be.
This makes some allowance for thrustline offest tilting the spinner in relation to the front of the cowl. If the front of the cowl is angled you don't need to add quite as much.

finding where to bolt the engine... make a disc and tape it to the front of the cowl (still taped in place...) Poke a hole centered in the disk (centered in the prop opening)and align a brass tueb n the desired thrust line. Shove a sharpened music wire in through the tube and make a "ding" in the firewall.

Follow your engine/motor mount instructions for aligning the mount to center the prop shaft on that mark. Shim as needed to get the thrust line.

Result SHOULD be that the engine/motor shaft comes out centered in the cowl. (if you did it right)

Hunting for the hardpoints where the cowl mounting screws belong means assuming the hardpoints are even there... often a bad assumption.

Pick 4 points (2 each side) and install your own hardpoints. There are many different techniques you could use... one that works well is angle brackets bolted to the firewall and tapping the metal bracket for the screws that will go through the cowl. use rubber grommets in the cowl and blue or green locktite on the screws that go into the threaded bracket.

These are generic "How to deal with China Model Products ARF" (and similar) tips...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Well part of the problem is just how far back past the firewall is the rear edge of the cowling supposed to go?

It says attch with three screws, if I push it as far aft as it will go then the upper radius and an edge on the bottm make contact with the fuselage. The flat sides of the cowl are a good 1/8 inch away from the fuse sides. Not really a good place to make a secure attachment.

This is more like scratch building an arf the instructions are so poor.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:26 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Tiger Moths are very forgiving of things that would normally make a biplane unflyable. So don't get too worried. The most important things is that the wings are properly aligned to each other.

I doubt you want the cowl as far back as you can push it... but to get better info you'll have to find someone who actually put one of the same ARF together.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:03 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
... but to get better info you'll have to find someone who actually put one of the same ARF together.

Exactly why I'm posting here
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:28 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Airliners.net was a bit of a help. the cowling, at least in the 1:1 scale bird bumps up against the cabanes and the landing gear forward support struts. Now I have an idea of where to mount things.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:25 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Hi Guys, Thought you may like to see a picture of my Tiger Moth which is close to being finished. It's a quarter scale Flair kit, power is a Laser 150 four stroke. It is covered with Coverall and colour scheme is based on a full size here in New Zealand. Have some detailing to do and fitting of plumbing and radio gear. The Flair kit instructions are good but there is no mention of side or down thrust. Have heard that this is Ok for the TM as it is a slow flier. You may be interested to know that in this kit, the large cowl only has three small screws to hold it in place. They screw into wooden blocks glued to the firewall. The metal 'L' brackets would work well too.
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:30 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Forgot mention, the wind screens are just sitting in place here. Not happy with the quality of these plastic molds and may make new ones from lithoplate. The front doors open, the rear doors were removed on the original as they were using it at the time for photography work. Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:01 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Nice build my arf is finally in just about the same state of completion.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
Australia, NT, Winnellie
Joined Jul 2005
337 Posts
G'day, mine is a 150 mm from the firewall, the instructions are a bit vague aren't they!

seeya spud
spudandcat is offline Find More Posts by spudandcat
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:08 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudandcat
G'day, mine is a 150 mm from the firewall, the instructions are a bit vague aren't they!

seeya spud

Mine came out at 143 mm so Mk I eyeball was working pretty well.