HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone P51 BL vs Corsair

Hi,
I am looking to buy a new plane. I had the old P51 from parkzone and the build quality is a a piece of crap. It was basically a flying egg shell. Anyways, I am looking to get a new plane. Read reviews on the Parkzone Corsair. Everyone had nothing, but good things to say about it. It's durability/build quality is excellent and it also flies really well. Now the new version of the P51 is also coming out, I don't know which bird to get.

Please help me decide between the two.

This is what I know.

P51 Mustang BNF:
Great value b/c it comes w/ the AR500 receiver.
Lighter/faster than Corsair.
Battery included.

Corsair PNP:
ESC 30A.
Landing gear included.

What do you guys think? The 2 most important things to me are:
Excellent build quality/Durability and Easy to fly in terms of excellent control.

Thanks. Please help me experts! I am lost.c
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive
Last edited by xdrive; Jun 21, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I have the Corsair and got to fly the P-51 at SEFF.

Out of the box they are both very durable, controllable, and sturdy. They have the same motor, and same construction style and materials. They both fly great and are pretty easy to fly.

The biggest differences (IMO) are that the P-51 comes with a smaller battery (than the RTF Corsair) so they went with a smaller prop and a smaller ESC (18 amps vice 30) so they could keep the flight times about the same. The P-51 does not come with landing gear. The P-51 is lighter and sleeker than the Corsair. The P-51 is a bit smaller.

Don't forget the T-28 too! Just the same as the Corsair. If you want to shoot touch and goes, I would suggest the Trojan with the tricycle gear.

So, it really comes down to personal preference. I have the T-28 and the Corsair already, and a P-51 on order. I re-motored my Corsair, so I have that 30 amp ESC standing by to put in the Mustang with a bigger prop to get some good speed out of it.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Thanks for your input. It sounds like from your experience I can't go wrong. I am currently planning on ordering the P51 as it is a great value for the BNF.

Two mods I will be adding already even though I haven't ordered the plane.
1. Landing Gear
2. Lights (Green, Red, and White)
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I absolutely love the Corsair. I would go with that first and get the P51 later. Change the ESC in it and share packs between the two(I use 25 and 30C 2200's in the Corsair, 1800 15c battery is relegated to semi-slope/lightweight use in the Stryker or in the 'tighter' parks). So with the Corsiar PNP, there's nothing included you would 'dump' later, but pay for up front. The P-51 most likely will get a new ESC/Prop/Battery, so it costs the same as the Corsair with an AR500 receiver added anyway.. Why they cheaped out on the ESC is beyond me, considering 30C is becoming commonplace.

And who knows what the other 'mystery release' is going to be, supposedly it is in the Corsair/T28 size group. I dumped the gear on the Corsair long ago, actually easier to land in the grass because you don't have to drag it out to avoid the bounce, typically a 4-step or less affair to pick it up. 40 flights on mine without a scratch.
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 22, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:46 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb120
I absolutely love the Corsair. I would go with that first and get the P51 later. Change the ESC in it and share packs between the two(I use 25 and 30C 2200's in the Corsair, 1800 15c battery is relegated to semi-slope/lightweight use in the Stryker or in the 'tighter' parks). So with the Corsiar PNP, there's nothing included you would 'dump' later, but pay for up front. The P-51 most likely will get a new ESC/Prop/Battery, so it costs the same as the Corsair with an AR500 receiver added anyway.. Why they cheaped out on the ESC is beyond me, considering 30C is becoming commonplace.

And who knows what the other 'mystery release' is going to be, supposedly it is in the Corsair/T28 size group. I dumped the gear on the Corsair long ago, actually easier to land in the grass because you don't have to drag it out to avoid the bounce, typically a 4-step or less affair to pick it up. 40 flights on mine without a scratch.
i LOVE touch and goes. im getting a second wing so i can slap on some gear and switch, depending on my mood.

yeah, im ditching the stock esc, batt and motor for somethign a little bigger, not much , just a little more juice. im thinking 380 watts or so.

reckon the p-51 will be in stores mondy and my buddy is alrady putting one aside for me or so i hope.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
After years of dealing with large scale RC, retract hell, and relying on flying field conditions and runways, I got into foamies to AVOID landing gear at all costs
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:20 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
After years of dealing with large scale RC, retract hell, and relying on flying field conditions and runways, I got into foamies to AVOID landing gear at all costs
whats a runway? these wheels are so great, i can land upside down and theyd still work

to be honest, taxing over to me after landing is 90% of it. if i had to get up off the park bench and walk the 4' over to my plane, it would ruin the experience.

im new and find that practicing tough and gos, is really good practice.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Yea but when I see gear I expect full proper retraction with 90 degree turn and working strut oleos and doors, synchronized to match video of the full-scale aircraft, of course. If it works for an entire day at the field, its like a small miracle
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:05 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
very cool. if i was a super hero, my name would be anti-scale. i might paint the bottom hazard orange and put pink polka dots on the top, just to make sure no one confuses me with anything but a super casual flyer, who spends waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to much time on these forums, waiting for his batts to charge.

~chris
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:26 AM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for your help. I am torn between the two. Is there that big of a difference between the 30 and 18 ESC besides the technical specs?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:41 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
A lot of the P-51 design was price driven to keep the cost under $200. That seems to be a magic number for sales.

So, they wanted to use a smaller and cheaper Lipo. To be able to use the cheaper and smaller (and also lighter) lipo, and still have decent flight times of about 10 minutes, they propped down to a 9x6 prop. With the smaller prop pulling less power, they were able to use a smaller and cheaper ESC.

But, because the P-51 is lighter and less draggy than the T-28 or Corsair, it is still as fast (if not a little faster from what I hear) stock. Climb rate is also supposed to be very good - again up there with or a bit better than the T-28 or F4U.

BUT, since I have a large collection of 2200 lipos, and a spare 30 amp ESC, I am going to swap it out, use the bigger batteries, and put a bigger prop on. Even with the bit of extra weight, it should make the P-51 much faster than the stock T-28 or F4U. Plus I imagine carrying the extra weight may make her a bit more stable in wind (not that wind too often scares me away from flying the others).

With the stock ESC with the 1300 battery, and she is a great flyer. I just want to make her faster. Why? because I can and because I can for cheap since I have everything.

They are all fantastic planes, and I would be surprised if you stop at just one! It seems a whole lot of folks already have both the T-28 and the Corsair. For grab and go planes, they are a blast.

Who knows - I might end up just buying some 1300 lipos for her and keep her stock. I won't be able to tell that until I get her and try both configs.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Please give us a full review when you get the P51. I think many people would like to know how it stacks up against the T28 and Corsair.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:35 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
ugly, would you agree that stock, the order of speed is f4u-->t-28-->p-51?
im in the same boat where everything im putting on, i already have sitting next to me.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace308
ugly, would you agree that stock, the order of speed is f4u-->t-28-->p-51?
im in the same boat where everything im putting on, i already have sitting next to me.

Hmmmm. Hard for me to say. I've been goofing with props on my Corsair, then props on my T-28, then no gear on the F4U, then a different motor on my Corsair, etc, etc, etc.

Off hand, I've always thought the T-28 was a bit faster, but that may be because it seems much more nimble - I can snap roll it like mad, but can't with the F4U. I guess the Corsair may be quicker, but it is pretty close.

And my one flight on the P-51 was with a battery that already had a good bit of time on it on that flight, and I certainly wasn't going to push someone else's plane too hard.

From what the Horizon guys say, the P-51 is the fastest of the bunch. And without that monstrous radial in the front, I believe it.

I would LOVE to be the first on here to get the P-51, but I'm not too confident of my LHS getting it in too fast. There are many other stores in the country that are much larger.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:06 AM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
I too must have wheels and a steerable tailwheel. It's not 90% of the flight experience for me but it is important. I wish PZ would have made the new Pony with rudder and fixed gear like the T28 and Corsair, but these are easy to add myself.

If I get a the new PZ P-51, I will most likely buy a bare wing, fuselage and tail and use my own electrics.

I have seen too many E-Flight OEM ESC's fry on people and would never use one. My buddy crashed his Corsair several times with it "browning out", and since he changed to a Turnigy ESC it has been rock solid. My other friend's Apprentice fried the ESC, other Apprentices at the field too.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076