Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:22 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Question
How difficult is a quad / tri copter to fly (for a noob)?

Let me preface by saying that I have no (zero, nada) RC flying experience. I should also add that my interest in flying a quad / tri copter is strictly as an entry into aerial photography. After reading a number of build threads here and watching the videos I was ready to order the bits to build my own quadcopter. But then I happened to find a free heli simulator and I decided to download and try it first (probably a good move). After about a half an hour on the simulator, I realized that flying a heli is no small feat. To say that I found it very difficult to grasp would be an understatement. At this point I don't think a heli would last 30 seconds in my hands. So my question for the quad / tri copter fliers out there is this: just how easy or difficult is learning to fly a quad / tri copter?
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:38 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
256 Posts
G'day,

I really don't think you can go wrong with the new Walkera UFO#8. Have a look at the thread - everyone who flies it - loves it! It's inexpensive and fairly durable.

Order from Terence at www.chinesejade.com - his service is second to none. Make sure you get some extra blades and rocker arms but more of that in the UFO thread.

Ken
LipSanFlip is offline Find More Posts by LipSanFlip
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:52 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,784 Posts
For photagraphy you might look for a larger one.
You can pick one up at

http://www.helipal.com/walkera-ufo-8...d5hvkpobave3v4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipSanFlip
G'day,

I really don't think you can go wrong with the new Walkera UFO#8. Have a look at the thread - everyone who flies it - loves it! It's inexpensive and fairly durable.

Order from Terence at www.chinesejade.com - his service is second to none. Make sure you get some extra blades and rocker arms but more of that in the UFO thread.

Ken
crashdumby is online now Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:38 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Thanks for the tip on an entry level quad, but I was really looking for some feedback on how easy or hard flying one is. I tried a heli simulator and failed miserably, is a quad much easier to fly?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:43 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
256 Posts
Yes, a quad (the UFO8# anyway) is much easier to fly than a single rotor helicopter. I started with a coax helicopter, tried to move up to a single rotor helicopter and couldn't make the jump. I bought the UFO and was able to fly it right out of the box. In addition, there are no moving parts besides the rotors so there's much less to break in a crash.

Ken
LipSanFlip is offline Find More Posts by LipSanFlip
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna
Thanks for the tip on an entry level quad, but I was really looking for some feedback on how easy or hard flying one is. I tried a heli simulator and failed miserably, is a quad much easier to fly?
I don't know which sim you tried, some are crap. But, no RC heli is easy to fly but the MCX. Even the coax helis are a handful at first. A tri or quad is a bit more difficult than a coax. The good news is you will go from impossible to reasonable proficiency in a pretty short time.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:41 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
@Blair - I can't remember which sim I used, but it was a freebie Mac program. I've since downloaded FMS and found some models for quad heli's on the Dragonfly website that I'm going to try later today.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 02:45 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
I can only speak for the tricopter. They are as easy, or easier to fly than a fixed pitch heli. Getting them to that point may be a hard road if you build one yourself, but it is VERY rewarding, and not too difficult. Building one for AP is also not too difficult. I have one I use for AP, but I use my flying wing for pictures 10 to 1 over the tricopter. I have been flying for 27 years, have flown just about everything. The tricopter is great where needed for AP, but the plane is easier to fly, and less risky over unknown areas. A tricopter can't survive ANY mechanical or electrical failure. A plane can be lilmped in sometimes. The workload flying the tricopter is higher, and its much more difficult to fly high. I use the tri for low ( under 150') flights. And the plane for anything over that to 6-800 feet ( with a spotter ) The best things about the tri/quad is the low cost to fix. Props and motors are cheap, the frame can be wood, only one servo for a tri, none for a quad. Get a decent sim first, fly it till your sick of it, then a fixed pitch heli, then the tri/quad.

Signguy
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jun 22, 2009, 03:29 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Thanks Signguy. Good advice.