HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:03 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,445 Posts
Right I think I have sorted them out finally, am going to go and start assembling the rear end up and take some pics, back later with a real progress report!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:07 AM
Orange,CA
Joined Aug 2003
284 Posts
Extreme,

So the drawing/ pictures that Tim gave were no help? I have no problem dumping all the stiff rods , for better quality pushrods/cables like " Sullivan" golden -rods etc. Do you think that would be a better move? I'm going with air retracts since I hate stalled/humming servos..and don't want them on the elevator either!
Extreme..what do you think of the strength in the tail/empennage area?

Hope your flu is history!

FB
FLYBOY2000 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOY2000
Old Jun 25, 2009, 03:42 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,225 Posts
FB, maybe I should try the Lander solution before condeming it but ---- I just went to my LHS for some flex cable elevator control rods and intend to try these first, will advise if I figure out a good solution.

On my Panther I replaced the Lander main gear retract servos with 85MG's and also put in a straight wire from servo to gear leg instead of that serpentine one that Lander supplies --- no more buzzing. Did remove the main gear doors, more trouble than they were worth .
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Jun 25, 2009, 03:43 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Mark,

How did you sort the pushrod issue? On another thread I saw Tim suggest using WD40 to lubricate the rods so they move easier. Did you try that, or something similar?

I know that when I assembled my F-16I, I was not confident that my servo would easily move the pushrod as tight as it was in the guide. Instead I opted to use .062 piano wire.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,225 Posts
Jimmy H.---- thanks for the suggestion to go to Lander site for manual, much easier to decipher, saved it directly to desktop.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Its not done yet?????????? Lol!!!!!!
Are you doing gear doors and all too?
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:12 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,225 Posts
Don't know how you did it Mark but I used two flexible "Golden Rods" (red)which snake into the top fuse channel corners perfectly and up to the servo cavity. The fan drops in fine as the rods are in the corners also allowing much room for the motor wires to pass forward under the fan. I used dabs of JB Weld to bond rod sheath in.

This also allows the elevator servo to lie sideways so that arm rotation to the two independant control rods does not arc (which gives elevator differential !!)

This assembly took all of 30 minutes as I already have a ton of soldered twin rod yokes for the servo end. The sheaths will be trimmed as they exit fuse and the rod painted to match camo.

If you can wait till Monday will post pics --- my wife is Up North with camera !!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,299 Posts
killickb,

I will gladly trade you my digital camera for your Hunter.

Rick
swarick is online now Find More Posts by swarick
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,445 Posts
Ok here are some photos of the installation, the channels for the pushrods need to be deepened a lot and lengthened enough to remove the sharp curve in them as much as possible.

The pushrods are still not perfect, the servo buzzes when pushing all the way but it seems to be centering ok right now and the little B1122 1.4kg torque servo seems to cope.

Not a great setup mind you, snake cables would have been better, or a much lighter stiff piano wire with guide tubes running full length, this way the two wires could be brought together inside the same ezy connector and from experience I know this works 100% on dual elevator pushrod setups.

But for now its done, notice the tape holding the two rods together up near where they come together, this stops them flexing out when pushed, seems to work fine like this and removed the extra slop being generated.

Tail went together nicely, only a small amount of foam needed to be removed in the centre of the horizontal empenege, there is a channel on the top and bottom of the fin in the centre, this channel needs widening about a mm either side, then the tailplane slides into the slot easily.

Rudder looked a bit haphazard with the torque rod running down through the fuse into the interior, seems to work ok though, the horn is quite strong and it was easy to tighten up the grub screws pretty firmly without stripping anything. I will soak thick CA into the assembly carefully before closing it up so its locked solid.

Servos are epoxied in on all surfaces that contact, I will cut a block of foam to push between the two, this should give them full support and eliminate any flex that may occur over time.

Power system is assembled ready for double sided tape and installation. I will take pics of how I do this as I have a particular method for laying out the ESC etc and pictures always save a lot of typing
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:15 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,225 Posts
Mark, are you at wing assembly stage yet? Do you suppose that the wings are supposed to be epoxied together? Sounds a stupid question but when assembled with just the screws they are a little loose. I am going to epoxy mine together anyway and the assembly wil have to be screwed to wing while epoxy sets as the holes might not line up if you use the "as molded" wing mating fit.
Trust you are now well enough to stay ahead of the rest of us on this assembly --- if it flies as good as the model is designed it will be even better than the Panther!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:27 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,791 Posts
Wow, what a FANTASTIC aircraft, I was present for Mark's maiden today, I'll let him post about it but put it this way, after seeing his fly, I now have one at home Congrats Lander on a great model.

We have loads of video, Mark has some and I have some HD stuff that will take me a while to edit which I will try and post tomorrow.

This plane exceeded my expectations and they were already very high because I already have the Lander Panther and the Lander F-16.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:46 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
Oh man. Dont say that Dankers. I was trying to avoid getting excited about this one due to my habit of buying every plane I like. I'm going to wait to see the video. I look forward to hearing how it flies compared to the Panther. That thing is amazing.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:00 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,445 Posts
Well I finished it (obviously) the wing is a very simple affair, glue the two halves together, plenty of epoxy on the 3 spars and she slides together perfectly, I sat and held it for 5 mins and it was done.

I fitted the servos in first and got them all set up properly, no flaps yet as no time, I glued the hinges in and stuck them closed with a little double sided tape for now, can always fit them up later on.

Wing bolted up to the fuse perfect after it was joined, its quite a stiff fitting too, once the wing is bolted on you have to really juggle the cover on so the bolt holes all line up, took me about 30 mins fiddling with the hole direction but eventually all 5 bolts were done and surprising the wing is quite stiff!

So there she was sitting there, I slide the battery in place, all looking good, then I look at the CG and think, that looks really far forward for an aircraft with such a swept wing and long moment. No way can it be 130mm, I figured after the Panther issues with the CG too far back lander has gone really conservative on this.

With the battery in the best I could get was 160mm But looking at the shape and length of the model I was convinced the CG was wrong, 130mm is waaay too far forward.

Anyway I ended up ripping out the second battery tray and left just the first one in, closest to the nose. This tray does need to be lowered a bit too so will do that later and adjust the start of the build thread to reflect these changes.

So today! Get to the field and set up, discuss with the guys my thoughts on CG, no one seems to want to commit to anything not in a manual, chickens! Range check and all is ok, pick her up and say bugger this lets go, CG at 160mm she launched out dead straight, sunk down a little then off she went with a very slight climb! Trim required was one click of down elevator, flew dead level, good roll rate, very stable, average response on the elevator.

Inverted required a good deal of down, about half my travel and pitch stability was well on the sluggish side, definitely feels like she can take more rearward CG!

Second flight removed the 30g of lead under the nose, better but still needs plenty of elevator inverted.

third flight moved the battery back, CG now around 170mm, still just as stable, rolling quite a bit more axial now and less down needed for inverted flight. I think we could go to 180mm from what I experienced today.

Last landing I flaired too much and ballooned, added a bit of power and held the nose up, she high alfa'd in nicely and dropped down for the best landing of the day!

Awesome plane, looks hot in the air, not super duper fast on the 4s setup but almost as quick as my Panther and sounds very jet like on low passes. A really nice balance for a 50's fighter jet, just like you would expect of a Hunter!

Video coming, will add more notes in later on the build, pushrods held up fine, elevator did not suffer from centering issues which proves it does work
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:53 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,225 Posts
Well so much for are you at the wing stage!! Well done on a succesful maiden and thanks for all of your input before we all commit ours to flight. Looking at your grass you obviously hand launched, is the gear in yours so that the flight envelope would represent what we should see on 4s? Rather you than me testing the c.g theory but again thanks for being the test pilot on this! If my wife would stay on her Up North trip another week I too could be flying next week but expect I will have a different 'to do" list starting tomorrow!!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Well done Mark.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon