HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,721 Posts
I couldnt tell you, I stopped importing Lander products middle of last year, I felt they had changed from a company that offered an enthusiasts product to just another mass producer. The marketing of the Hunter was very poor and it was rushed to market with issues like the CG being 30-40mm out! The MIG17 was a disaster as it was rushed to market at the same time which caused the hunter to be lost in the noise almost instantly. The models have become overweight with all the added skins etc, and to me a model doesnt need to look pretty from 6 inches, it needs to look good from 6ft (which the originals did) and fly well.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
I can totally respect that, Ive read about Panthers with lights, flaps, gear doors, retracts, pc covering and 6s setup being to heavy to hardly even fly. I figured if i went with the epo, electric retracts wud be lighter than the metal mechanical suspension retracts i have in my panther. Im not having much luck on finding out about there new retracts...tks for responding and goodluck with your business....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Extreme, im getting ready to order a hunter, since i had such luck with my panther. I was wondering how the new suspension electric retracts were holding up ? I fly off hard surfaces, like parking lots, roads etc...im gonna do a 6s with the new wemo fan unit and a hacker motor....I havnt seen anyone say much on how effective the flaps are ?? tks for help...DJ
I fly mine with the stock fan unit on 4s , it flys and handles nice if i was to build another , i would do away with the rudder is useless , also the flaps , as this plane you need to come in with power anyway , another words fly it to the ground with power , she does not stall but she wants to land right away if you try to glider in , I have yet had to use flaps I think you would get in trouble if you were use flaps , it would want to land faster , no need IMHO , good luck as she does fly good .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:14 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,721 Posts
Yup no need for flaps, the original 4s HL setup was sweet, light enough to give a good glide, all the models were at their weight limit imho when they were just in foam with simple setups.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Tks for info guys, less servos lower AUW works for me. Now to find out about the electric suspension retracts.....DJ
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
The original 4 cell hand launched easy as pie, flew nicely and landed sweet as it was not too heavy. Add all the extras and like all Landers they pork up and do not fly anywhere near as nice.

What do you mean with all the extras. Does that include the suspsension retracts (the original ones, not electric)?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Hi , I'm new to this forum and this is my first post . Been involved in the hobby for 20+ years but only recently started to get back into it again .
Recently bought a Hunter at one of the shows for just £60 from Tommy Chen . I'm impressed by the quality of the kit but I've decided to run without the retracts , without the drop tanks etc . I'm also old school as far "building them light" , so my set up tips the scales at a shade under 900 grams or 2lbs for us oldies , ready to go . Thats well under the minimum weight stated on the box . Really can't see this being nice to fly at 5lbs + that some here have talked about . Not flown it yet but I'll post up when I've tried it out .
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
"under 900 grams or 2lbs for us oldies " hahaha tks ....2lbs seems really light for an auw. Is it eps foam with a 3s setup ??? welcome back to the skies....DJ
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Yes , 3s 2200 pack , 30A ESC and stock edo models fan and motor . Came out the same weight as my old edo F15 but the Hunter has a lot more wing area and a less draggy design overall . Don't want a rocket ship , the videos I've seen on 6s are too fast for me . I'll be happy with 60mph top speed !
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Fan, im a newb when it comes to edf's. Just maidened my panther a couple weeks ago and i got seriously hooked on edfs now. But that setup sounds like it would do nicely in that light of a bird, curious if a 2200mah lipo is gonna be enuff. On my 4s 4000mah lipo setup, after 3 mins I start planning my landing because it takes me an attempt or two to get lined up and slowed down right so i end up with about 4-4 1/2 minutes flight time. I dont fly wot at all yet and im probable being a bit conservative with my flight times....will be interesting to hear how that setup works for ya guy....DJ
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
The set up worked OK in the edo F15 and I could get about 4 minutes flight time before landing . I'm hoping the lower wing loading of the Hunter will allow flying at maybe 1/2 - 2/3 throttle , the F15 was slow even at full power but I think that was down to high drag in that design .
The Hunter has around 30% more wing area than the edo F15 but the same AUW and its more aerodynamic .
Like I said I'm not after a rocket ship , scale like smooth flying is more my thing !
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Did some static thrust tests today , got just over 450grams at max power . That is quite low for most of you out there but I'm hoping the low wing loading will allow some scale like flying .
I've opened up the cheater hole and the fan seems to "unload" a fair bit with the extra air intake .
What sort of thrust and AUW are typical for this plane ? I could upgrade to bigger EDF , ESC and Lipo but the weight will go up lots from my 900g set up .
My only plan at the moment is a couple of 30c Lipos rather than my old 20c's .
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:47 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,721 Posts
My original was around 1500 grams hand launch foam finish with stock 70mm fan and a 4000mah 4s pack. Thrust was around the same and it flew well, glide power off is still excellent at this weight, any more and it becomes a bit of a pig like all landers. As I have said in the past, I believe the 1500-1600g point is about the max for any of the landers if you want a nice flying model, heavy enough to penetrate, but not too heavy to have a decent wing loading and fly sweetly.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
My original was around 1500 grams hand launch foam finish with stock 70mm fan and a 4000mah 4s pack. Thrust was around the same and it flew well, glide power off is still excellent at this weight, any more and it becomes a bit of a pig like all landers. As I have said in the past, I believe the 1500-1600g point is about the max for any of the landers if you want a nice flying model, heavy enough to penetrate, but not too heavy to have a decent wing loading and fly sweetly.
My rcl Panther weighs 1800 grams ....4s 4,000 mah 25c 3575kv rcl motor and metal fan...cuz of all the repairs that had to be done when i got it is reason its this heavy, but mine flies really nice. Now im not an edf expert at all, just got into them very recently....DJ

maiden of f9f panther and my first time flyn a EDF.AVI (1 min 44 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,721 Posts
My Panther was 1450 grams from memory and it flew superb, the weight is getting up there for this size foamie but not enough to upset it. Going heavier than this and it starts to suffer, 2kg with all the bells and whistles ruins the model imho. There is always going to be a tradeoff with any foam jet, the Panther wagged its butt in wind and at less than WOT, and the wings get buffeted a bit in wind due to all the weight being central, but overall it was their best model.

Now in comparison the Sapac 70mm Composite Hawk set up to bungee with stock fan and motor comes in around 1650 grams with the same battery, difference in flight quality is night and day, the Hawk would be the best 70mm jet I have ever built and flown. Cost is very similar, finish and quality is superb. I am flying the blue arrows Hawk right now with full retracts, weighs 1950 grams, it feels heavier than the bungee version, still a clean smooth precise flyer but the lighter version was more responsive and just felt like a sports car as opposed to a sports sedan