SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
x30pilot, thinking of buying the hunter and will be belly landing on grass. been told you can cover the bottom with lightweight glass cloth and use a substance called poly-c. really great stuff as there is no smells and you can wash your brushes with water. allso foam friendly.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Chester
Joined Jun 2009
47 Posts
i think i may have to change mine into a belly lander as the field i fly from is quite rough grass so will be glassing it aswell i think! had the plane built for a month but been working away since i finished it and not going to get a chance to fly it till november :-(
paulhunter is offline Find More Posts by paulhunter
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Great maiden video. Landing was very smooooooth.

Thanks Prof100!!!
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:55 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,506 Posts
@ Eric,
Here is how I did my Elevator setup. Works great, no slop and does not protrude into the outlet duct. Good luck!
Regards, Chris
Downwind3Zero is online now Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:10 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2008
848 Posts
Thanks

They came out great I like what you have done. My first one had the long rods on it and the did not move the elavator very good at all. It was really bad had to run them on high rates all the time. I am going with your set up this time. Did you just hot glue them in and have you maidened your plane yet?
giddyuperic is offline Find More Posts by giddyuperic
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:16 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,506 Posts
Yes, just glued them. Maiden: yes! (see page 9)
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
x30pilot, thinking of buying the hunter and will be belly landing on grass. been told you can cover the bottom with lightweight glass cloth and use a substance called poly-c. really great stuff as there is no smells and you can wash your brushes with water. allso foam friendly.
glenbees

Glassing the belly of the hunter is not an easy task. Unlike the smooth belly of my Phase 3 F-16, the Hunter has lot of detail on the bottom and all this would need to be sanded off to get a smooth surface to glass.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.
Is the servo over throwing or is the mechanism just rough and not working smooth? If it is a bad mechanism, get to me in email and we will work on a replacement for you. Also have you looked at the Suspension Struts for the Hunter? Really sweet!
Also I use these Du-Bro servo savers for situations like this where the servo might over throw or on the steering servo.
Take a look here: Du-Bro Servo Saver

Hope that helps

Max
Max,

I certainly appreciate the offer for the replacement nose gear, I lubed the current unit with some Tri Flow and it works smoothly now.

Thanks

Dave
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,366 Posts
I've got a somewhat extensive build log on another thread. Go check it out as it gets built. Well, its already built, but my procrastination has finally caught up to me and I'm now finally getting around to starting my posts. Let me know what you think.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
@ Eric,
Here is how I did my Elevator setup. Works great, no slop and does not protrude into the outlet duct. Good luck!
Regards, Chris

Awesome idea Chris. Looks great too.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:39 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2008
848 Posts
Thanks

Yes I will do that as soon as my new fuselage gets here. My other one flew like a dream and was pretty fast on the six cell set up. I have the F9 too on the four cell set up and she is down due to a blade wobble and bang that was the end of that. Any way I am going to do that first thing for the elevators. Did you cut the hole at a angle? You must have the body is round that was a dumb question. I love this plane it flies so good I cant wait to start on it and I already know what to do and not do but I am sure I will have more questions. So thanks guys. Eric in so cal
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:48 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_g35
Awesome idea Chris. Looks great too.
Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:38 PM
Uno
Sweden
Joined Dec 2005
32 Posts
I fly the bellylander. Have about 15 flights. The first ones without droptanks. The cheaterhole and speedbrakes eat grass. Have made shorter droptanks (450liter) as we had on the mark 4 in the Swedish Airforce. I put thin glassfiber with epoxy on bottom of them and also glasfiber under the nose. So far no problem but I consider making sidesupport on the tanks as the real F6 had to the big tanks. With the cg set according to the manual (130 mm) nose digs down hard in the grass. Also rolls are very badly and inverted needs full down. I have a graf of the fullsize cg and when scaled to the model it should be 190mm from leading wingedge. I fly now with 180 mm and just a little down elevator inverted and rolling much better. I also put Sidewinders under wings as we had here in Sweden on the full size Hunter. No bad habits with thoose. Today at 10-12 knots wind I think it was less wingrocking with missiles on. I start with a bungee 5 m surgical rubbertube, 10m nylonline, hook between “breasts” and footpedal for release. Start as from a carrier. After seeing Phillips video t/ and landing on grass I am tempted to order one more with retacts. I do not use flaps. How does it handle with flaps? The real one was pretty nasty made nosedown at high speed and killed pilots. Flaps were very strong meant as speedbrakes but the speedbrake below fuselage had to be added later. I fly on 4S 2500 and 4000 mah and can fly 5 mimutes on the 2500. Use full throttle sparingly. Come in slow and low, hit throttle and go directly in to a big loop. Could not do that with the real one. Lander fan runs very smooth. Beatiful aircraft that fly very good /Uno
Uno is offline Find More Posts by Uno
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
Uno
Sweden
Joined Dec 2005
32 Posts
Sorry Jimmy that I called You Phillips. For other pilots here is the link to Jimmys nice Hunter flying on grass. http://www.nlmfc.org/index.php?optio...d=131&Itemid=1 Best regards Uno.
Uno is offline Find More Posts by Uno
Old Sep 06, 2009, 01:43 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2008
848 Posts
Better the second time around!!!!!

Sorry chris but I could not put the servos back in the fuselage. I only have a six channel radio and the flaps go on the slave. Well maybe next time but what I did is go with the gold rods from sullivin they move like butter and was able to make a new and better spot for the servo. My friend as been helping me alot she should be ready to go by tuesdayfor her maiden. Still running the 22.2 volt with 2800 mAh and I have the nice gear on her too. It worked so well last time the gear is very good.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:34 AM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno
Sorry Jimmy that I called You Phillips. For other pilots here is the link to Jimmys nice Hunter flying on grass. http://www.nlmfc.org/index.php?optio...d=131&Itemid=1 Best regards Uno.
No worries UNO, thanks for the kind messgae you left on my review, I love flying her and the retracts are holding up well to grass. Our strip is quite a bit longer as the weather is changing and temperature droping but no signs of any problems so far
Jimmy_H is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy_H