HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:56 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Discussion
CAP 232 60 size 63 inch Build Log and Discussion

I got this plane from Hobbycity.com a few weeks ago.

Link: Cap 232 60 size 63 inch

Searched a good 10 minutes and found relatively no thread yet on this particular size CAP, so I decided to start one.

I finally started to slap this big boy together this afternoon and here's what he looks like out of the box.
trickers is offline Find More Posts by trickers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
what the...
Joined May 2007
266 Posts
Looks good, what equipment are you planning on using? Hobbycity I presume?
minitelemaster is offline Find More Posts by minitelemaster
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Turnigy everything. I have really started to love all their parts. Excellent quality without paying for a name. I'll put together the BOM when I order them sometime soon
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:37 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Here are some pictures on what's been done over the past week. I have school and work so things are being put together slowly.

The instruction manual is pretty bad. The pictures don't even match the plane, so I've been double checking everything. And some creative work will have to be done.

One thing I have noticed is the film is starting to slowly get air bubbles everywhere.

The wing will be one piece. It has a double wood spar through the front, is epoxied together down the middle, and another wood reinforcement place where the screws would hold it to the fuselage.

The vertical and horizontal stabilizers have been glued on as well, but I'll take pictures of those later.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 05:57 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Finished the body earlier this week. Still need to stop being lazy and order parts though.

I found out the hard way and goofed big time with the elevator. There's a U-Bar that connects the two pieces of the elevator. I glued the horizontal stabilizer in without the U-Bar. I had to drill out extra room to get the U Bar in. From the looks of it, there wasn't enough room for the U-Bar and the horizontal stab anyway. So the slit would have needed to be slightly elongated. The whole process would have just been much cleaner though if I hadn't messed up.

The wheel skirts are too small for the provided wheels. Or the wheels are too wide. I had to end up cutting out a lot of skirt (more than just the region you are suppose to cut) just for the wheels to fit and turn freely.

This was my first big build, and it turned out marvelous considering I didn't really know what I was doing
Old Aug 07, 2009, 07:33 AM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
is this plane electric only? in the pics on hobbykings site just below the wheel pants it looks like a fuel tank....then just to the right of the wing joiners looks like a two piece engine mount.......did yours come with those?
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
Last edited by Sofa King; Mar 31, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:27 PM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
233 Posts
I'm in a serious thinking of buying it. Have you flied it? Is it a 3D plane? What's your setup?
kstmark is online now Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:20 AM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King
is this plane electric only? in the pics on hobbykings site just below the wheel pants it looks like a fuel tank....then just to the right of the wing joiners looks like a two piece engine mount.......did yours come with those?
No engine mount. But You can equip a 4 stroke or 2 stroke engine. It did come with a Fuel tank though.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:22 AM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark
I'm in a serious thinking of buying it. Have you flied it? Is it a 3D plane? What's your setup?
It is suppose to be 3d. The reviews seem pretty mixed with half claiming it's only aerobatic and the other half saying it can handle pretty much anything you can move your thumbs to.

I do not have a setup as of yet. Waiting on time and money. Sort of been busy with my other planes.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 04:17 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,390 Posts
look forward to seeing more on your build and flights. I too saw this plane on HC and the price is really hard to ignore for what appears to be a quality model

keep us updated
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:31 AM
Heli nutz
pakenham victoria
Joined Feb 2009
75 Posts
hobby king cap 232

Have some pics of the hobby king cap 232 build i did hope u find them usefull
i used hs82mg servos in the wing and hextronix for rudder and elevator motor mount is from hobby king aswell as motor and turnigy plush 60amp speedy heres the link to the motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._(Eq:_4030_AXi)
Not sure if this plane will 3d but i think if u keep it light it may pull off some 3d also the servo mounts arent shown in the instruction manual where i put the servos is the correct place u just have to cut the covering off 2 see where the mounts are
its ready for its maiden flight just waiting on lipo 6cell 3600mah and 18*8 prop hope this post helps
jamiep is offline Find More Posts by jamiep
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:20 PM
Safety Beach Victoria Australia
Joined Jul 2007
56 Posts
CAP 232 60 size

Hi Guys

I have 2 of these kits from Hobbyking ( one still in the mail ) and have started the assembly of the first. I have ground to a halt for several reasons that require some thought/help.

1. The battery placement ( no hatch for getting them in and out ) has anyone come up with a decent solution for this ? I am using the Turnigy 5065 320Kv on 6s3000 and 6s4000 both in 3cell packs in series

2. The wing is one piece ( I want to go 2 piece so that i can transport it in my Hyundai Excel sedan ) this is one big sucker

3. Reinforcing the landing gear area, without removing the covering on the bottom its almost impossible to get into the structure to add supports. I am thinking about two 6mm struts through the front bulkhead ( between the landing gear bolts )joined to the two secondary bulkheads and 3mm plate in the second compartment for added strength.

4. The location stubs on the wing seem weak as does the bulkhead that they go into ( thinking two nylon bolts through the wing near the leading edge cutout ) or adding two 6mm dowels next to the stubs and modifying the bulkhead to fit after adding extra ply for strength.

5. the wing saddle seems a weak spot and could stand some extra 3mm plates, worried about snapping the body in a rough landing.

6. The tail wheel wire is to rigid and does not allow for any spring ( replacing it with a coil type from Hobbyking )

7. The rudder is a monster and i wonder if anyone has had a problem with the strength of the control horn area flexing/breaking ? ( some 2mm ply triangular backup seems in order )

8. Those hinges supplied look very tough ( 5 on each aileron ) and will take a lot of amps to move even using the HXT5010 servos ( using 4 all up, they fit all the provided openings ) separate power is from a 4 cell 2300 trunigy pack, or a LiPo 3s1800 using a UBEC, considering changing to Dubro large Pined type.

#. Allready replace the wheels with some larger RUBBER pneumatic types. ( bit of grinding required on the spats, but ok )

#. I have the HXT alloy mounts on order ( after looking at the drama of manufacturing a 3 ply alternative )

Any suggestions and or help will be appreciated.

Cheers TBBW
Tsurwolf is offline Find More Posts by Tsurwolf
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,436 Posts
If I remember right...I cut a hole in the bottom and reinforced the opening to allow me to get at the battery. Someone else added a hatch to the bottom.
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Nov 01, 2009, 03:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
56 Posts
Cap 323

Just an update (still waiting on ordered parts for the motor ) Goodness this is a big model, largest in my hanger by a fair margin.

Solved the 2 piece wing problem by making a main spar box out of 3mm ply using a 20x3mm alloy bar as the joiner, cut the bottom sheeting of the wing to get to the internal structure and slotted the root and the next rib, then epoxied the box to the top skin and the existing spar box, braced all corners with 10mm triangular stock, used the rear 6mm dowel as aligner for the back of the wing, worked as ordered

The landing gear plate was removed ( without a Moto tool this would have been very hard to do ) and the bulkheads reinforced with 3mm ply, a new plate was made out of 5mm ply and drilled for the landing gear, all corners gusseted with 10mm triangular stock, the sides of the first bay were doubled with 3mm.

While this is in an open state thinking about two 6mm dowel's for extra wing support as the two 3mm ply plates seem a bit weak.

The battery problem is ongoing, as i have no idea where the battery's have to be to balance the model, and how to secure them.( yet)

I am going to use a safety/arming plug ( set of either Dean's or the new mustard color HXT ) the idea of a 16/18 inch prop spooling up accidentally scares me silly.

I must say i am impressed with the overall condition of this model, some of the comments about poor construction on other web sites seem to have been addressed by HobbyKing.

Still undecided abut the hinges supplied with the kit, my usual method of securing hinges will not work here ( allready covered is a bugger ) and using CA, i wind up with a frozen piece of plastic

At least i am not in a hurry to finish this model and the little problems give me some thing to think about at night

Will keep up the posts as the problems are solved.

Cheers TBBW
Last edited by Tsurwolf; Nov 09, 2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 06:48 PM
Joined Jul 2007
56 Posts
Cap 232

Update two

Solved the battery problem to a degree ( still have to remove the wing to get to the battery ) but its is a workable system of interchangeable battery, 4Ah battery's and 3Ah with some padding will fit holder. Picture shows the tray in the nose of the model as a trial fit till the motor mount gets here.

I have included some pictures of the wing box section for the two piece wing modification.

Cheers TBBW