HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
Joined Apr 2007
337 Posts
Discussion
HZ Cub isn't the easiest plane to fly on FMS...

I've downloaded the HZ Cub model on FMS and I must say it isn't as easy to fly as other models. I was expecting otherwise.

The FT and PT Slow sticks are much easier to fly although slower.

A EZGlider is incredibly easy to fly.

My current favorite FMS model is the Supercup Cub. Its got the great combination of power, maneuverability and stability.

I find the FMS HZ Supercub to be a bit twitchy.

Does the FMS experience convert into real life experience ?

If I had to buy another plane right now based on my FMS experience, it would be a slow stick.

Thanks
gyrokiteguy is offline Find More Posts by gyrokiteguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:21 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrokiteguy

If I had to buy another plane right now based on my FMS experience, it would be a slow stick.

Thanks
You're not getting any wind in FMS (you can put some in), if you did the SC would handle it better than the Slow Stick which I consider to be a powered kite ..
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:44 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Flying in FMS and flying in real life are WAY different. For one thing, FMS is free, so it is not going to be the most accurate. FMS is good for teaching basic skills, such as flying towards you. But other than that, is is not very close to flying in real life. I have a Super Cub, and it is a GREAT beginner plane. The Slow Stick is also a great beginner plane, but like said above, it does not handle wind nearly as good as the Super Cub does. So overall, I would recommend the Super Cub over the Slow Stick. Unless you live in a place which has absolutely no wind.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
337 Posts
"For one thing, FMS is free, so it is not going to be the most accurate."

Terrible logic. Just because something is free doesn't mean it isn't good. Ever heard of an operating system called Linux ? 'nuff said.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:34 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
^I personally don't like Linux

FMS may be free, but IMO, the supercub feels nothing like it does actually flying it- much more stable.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:42 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Fms is just that, a free model simulator. It is not that good at all, it is only good for training in the noobie stages when you are coming at yourself ect. I have never flown a plane before (besides hovering a honeybee fp heli, a vapor, and aeroace) but practiced on realflight g4 for 200+ hours. Yesterday I flew my first "real" or "big" plane. It was a parkzone t-28. Half way through the second battery I was flying on high rates doing loops, rolls, inverted for 20+ seconds. Realflight has been my most valuable purchase in my r/c career EVER. I skipped the beginner training stage (3ch high wing AND 4ch high wing) and went right to a 4ch low wing plane. If you are serious about flying rc planes or helis at ALL I highly suggest you buy realflight g4/g4.5. Planes on fms do not fly that close to real life. I highly suggest you even try the demo with your keyboard.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Jun 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrokiteguy
I've downloaded the HZ Cub model on FMS and I must say it isn't as easy to fly as other models. I was expecting otherwise.

The FT and PT Slow sticks are much easier to fly although slower.

A EZGlider is incredibly easy to fly.

My current favorite FMS model is the Supercup Cub. Its got the great combination of power, maneuverability and stability.

I find the FMS HZ Supercub to be a bit twitchy.

Thanks
Did you change the stick configurations when you calibrated the controller so your not flying with ailerons? It could make a difference.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
337 Posts
I am flying it with ailerons. If I built one, I could build it with ailerons. The slow stick has ailerons and it flies just fine.

The FMS model I like best is the Supercup cub. Its a larger super cub.

Could someone fly the FMS HZ Supercub and tell me how it compares to the real thing ?

I fail to see why FMS is a bad simulator. I've flow both it and Realflight and to me the models behave very similar.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:30 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
IMHO you are over thinking this whole thing. You will crash your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.
I would just get the SC and go flying. You will have many planes and the more you fly the more you will know about what you want in a plane.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:36 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
I don't have ailerons on mine, so I can't tell you how they compare. I know FMS flys pretty similar to the stock Cub with no ailerons.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24