HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Discussion
Bell X1 EZ (slow flyer) almost ready to maiden

Just waiting for a new E-flite Park 180 outrunner to show up (finally wore mine out) and she will be about ready to go!

While I'm waiting, thought I would share some photos with you. My X1 is all built out of 3mm Midwest Cellfoam 88 with a CF stick. This is the second one I've built. I built the origional as an easy flyer to fly in my front yard and it does very well. It is great for dodging mailboxes, trees and signs. I fly it on 3 cells (2 would be plenty) and it even handles some wind surprisingly well with it's KF2 styled airfoil. I've taken some lessons learned from the first and incorporated a few changes into #2. I guess the most noticeable difference is the Glamerous Glennis look I gave it? Other changes on this one include a MUCH improved landing gear. (I wear the tires off of things doing touch and goes), an extra 2 inches of wing span bringing it up to 36" and I also lenghtened the fuse about an inch and a half for better CG control. I also added a tiny bit of positive incidence to the wing. The origional flys just fine with zero.

So....here it is. Looks a lot like one of those RTF trainers but I assure you, it flys so much better. It can go really fast but I prefer low and slow, close to the ground. No bad habbits really.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Last edited by kansascloud; Jun 19, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:05 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This is nifty. (I had thought you meant the 'real' X-1.)
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,829 Posts
That's cute!

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
It flys! Put about an hour on it yesterday. I would say it was a perfect test flight!
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
Master Crasher
Fletcher, NC
Joined Oct 2008
681 Posts
Your planes look in awefully good condition for the hours put on them.

I end up getting a bit to brave and doing something stupid... Like trying to do wing scrapes in high grass... Or a touch and go at the bottom of a loop... Or trying to loop over a powerline and stalling with LG landing on power line.

How much is a park 180? I hear a lot of good stuff about them
zultone is offline Find More Posts by zultone
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:14 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1 Posts
class project

Hey, just wanted you to know that I used your plans for my class... We are in the process of making 12! I liked the simple constuction and that it really has an airfoil!
eshoveler is offline Find More Posts by eshoveler