SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
Discussion
DIY Patch Antenna - 900mHz - how to?

So I have done a bunch of reading on patch antennas, and they don't seem like very complex beasts. Right now I'm starring at a wikipedia article, and I'm considering going home and cutting some double sided circuit board and plugging it into my rx.

Referencing this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_antenna

Is it this simple: Cut the PCB to the dimensions (1/2 wavelength length and width), then solder the front plate to the feed wire and the ground wire to the back side?

In the article it mentioned that the ground plate may need to be slightly larger than the radiator plate (front side). If that is the case I can cut the whole PCB 1/2 inch or an inch too big (length and width), then etch off the copper on the radiator side so that the radiator plate has the 1/2 wavelength dimensions.

If I need to do anything else, please advise...
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:11 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
This link will show you how to build the GP Patch and if you read far enough, how to scale it for 900mhz.

http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm
galaxiex is online now Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:12 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,663 Posts
Look up the build instructions for the Goof Proof Patch.
It lists the frequency it's optimized for. Scale every dimension
for the new frequency. (if half the frequency then double the size and so forth).

ian

[edit]he beat me to it.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:21 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
thanks guys!
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt