HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Discussion
Isthmus Models Duet Beta Build

So, they say, if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.... Or post em on RCGroups. Either way, a couple of weeks back, I promised the start of the Isthmus Models Duet beta build, and since that time, I have had all kinds of crazy stuff in my life, so this got pushed back... but the wait is over. My original goal was to have the Duet ready to take down to St. Louis for the Gateway contest, but that is just one short week away, and I have a two day trip planned for Sunday and Monday, so that just flat out isn't going to happen. My fall back plan is to have it ready for the next SOAR Chicago 2 meter contest, which is the first saturday in July. That seems like a much more likely goal!

Mark started posting a couple drawings, and some words about his Duet last fall, and after I looked at the plans, I pestered Mark for more information. When Mark replied, and offered to let me build a beta version, I was all over it like a fat kid on a twinkie. Some time evolved between getting the offer, and getting the short beta kit, and it arrived during the height of tax season, so it got fondled briefly, then set to the side. After several false starts, its now officially under way.

As I build the Duet, I will be shooting photos and writing construction notes. However, the beta build that I am embarking on is not the full kit, it is a beta kit, and you will see it all unfold, as it happens. Mark thought it would be fun to post up all the trials and tribulations as I encounter then, so that people can get a bit of an idea what all happens behind the scenes.

Momma says I have to mow the grass, so I'm going to head out and get that done real quick like, then I will be downloading the photos off of the SD card and putting some text to them, and posting them up here. Installment one starts tonight!

Steve S
AKA South Side Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:55 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the build log. Can't wait to see it start.

Mark Miller
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Cool - let the fun begin....
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:27 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
I tried to look at the Isthmus models web site to see if it is there but I can't get the site to work on either of my computers. One is running XP and the other ME. The menus jump around on the screen.

Can you post a link to the model?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Hi Ed,

Here is a link, I'm on the road again, my boy is moving back home, and I am in MO tonight, pick up a load of stuff, and head back to Chicago tomorrow morning. I'm by Springfield MO right now....

Here is a link to a thread where Mark has posted some information on the Duet. He is also building up a beta version, and (for now) is winning the race. I hope to catch right up in the next few days. He has some pictures of the fuselage that he has framed up in this thread, along with some information on the airfoil. It is a new airfoil that Mark, and Tony Estep has worked out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=Duet

Last time I looked, there wasn't any information posted on his website yet on this airplane.

Also, here is a small drawing of the airplane.

In a nutshell, it should make a great intermediate 2 meter, it has a good amount of wing area for a two meter, and quite robust construction. It has a three piece wing, optional spoilers, and quite nice lines.

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
Ed and all,

We are in the first test build stage of this plane and are fixing things we find on this build. No info on the site since it is to early to put it up for sale.

Ed, what browser are you using?

Mark
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:54 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
PM sent

IE 6 on both.
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
The Isthmus site has issues with some versions of IE 6. It works fine with 7 and 8. I have a feeling that it is how 6 integrates with Java. Time to upgrade Ed? The rest of the world has been moving to IE 8 for awhile now.

Mark
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Sorry buddy. There are a LOT of us out here still on the older stuff. My desktop does not like 7 and my laptop will stay at Company standard level. I just won't be able to visit your site.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:28 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Sorry buddy. There are a LOT of us out here still on the older stuff. My desktop does not like 7 and my laptop will stay at Company standard level. I just won't be able to visit your site.
Time to upgrade
Ed Franz is online now Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:58 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Franz
Time to upgrade
V6 is still our corporate standard - upgrading is not always an option.

Thankfully - our work allows firefox installations so I use that.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
Since this is a build thread, I suggest we not get to side tracked here.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
That is why I PM'd you.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:42 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller
Since this is a build thread, I suggest we not get to side tracked here.

Thanks,

Mark
Agree - so bring on the build.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:08 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Yes, where is the build.