HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 16, 2011, 12:38 PM
I didn't break it....
udidit's Avatar
United States, OR, Clatskanie
Joined May 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
As the smallest IC engined heli of consequence are the 30 sized engined powered ones, that use 550mm mainblades, I am fine with seeing the similar sized (550) and larger electrics here, but I must admit that I get a little frustrated with having to filter through all the threads about the smaller 500 or less electric threads in order to find those on the larger and more work intensive scale gems.

When I think scale R/C helis, I do not thinks of a small Co-axial electric in a plastic fuselage. I think of a 550 size or bigger, that has a detailed f/g fuselage and decent CP heli mechanics, be it powered by an electric motor or a glow, gasoline or turbine engine.

I do have a shelf full of the smaller helis, but I do consider them to be more as toys rather then more serious R/C helis like my larger ones.

I certainly wish that RCGroups would start a separate forum for the smaller units. That way, if I do want to read about what is available or being built in that small toy-like area I could then go there.


I think this guy would disagree.......


http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=91
udidit is offline Find More Posts by udidit
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
Registered User
topgearuk's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
As the smallest IC engined heli of consequence are the 30 sized engined powered ones, that use 550mm mainblades, I am fine with seeing the similar sized (550) and larger electrics here, but I must admit that I get a little frustrated with having to filter through all the threads about the smaller 500 or less electric threads in order to find those on the larger and more work intensive scale gems.

When I think scale R/C helis, I do not thinks of a small Co-axial electric in a plastic fuselage. I think of a 550 size or bigger, that has a detailed f/g fuselage and decent CP heli mechanics, be it powered by an electric motor or a glow, gasoline or turbine engine.

I do have a shelf full of the smaller helis, but I do consider them to be more as toys rather then more serious R/C helis like my larger ones.

I certainly wish that RCGroups would start a separate forum for the smaller units. That way, if I do want to read about what is available or being built in that small toy-like area I could then go there.
I can't see the problem myself, if you don't like something just skip past it! It's not hard is it?

And you never know when that little gem might just show up! A fair amount of stuff I've end up buying in the past have been just such a thing, something you might not see or come across elsewhere!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ex RAF Techie
davylah's Avatar
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
As the smallest IC engined heli of consequence are the 30 sized engined powered ones, that use 550mm mainblades, I am fine with seeing the similar sized (550) and larger electrics here, but I must admit that I get a little frustrated with having to filter through all the threads about the smaller 500 or less electric threads in order to find those on the larger and more work intensive scale gems.

When I think scale R/C helis, I do not thinks of a small Co-axial electric in a plastic fuselage. I think of a 550 size or bigger, that has a detailed f/g fuselage and decent CP heli mechanics, be it powered by an electric motor or a glow, gasoline or turbine engine.

I do have a shelf full of the smaller helis, but I do consider them to be more as toys rather then more serious R/C helis like my larger ones.

I certainly wish that RCGroups would start a separate forum for the smaller units. That way, if I do want to read about what is available or being built in that small toy-like area I could then go there.
So this is not a 'scale' heli?



I say, 'Live and let live' We all build 'scale' helicopters to the best of our abillities, and budget. Does it really matter if it's electric, ic or turbine? Personally, I can't think of anything worse than a nice looking 'scale' heli with a plume of blue smoke billowing out from underneath, and the scream of a 2 stroke single pot assaulting your ears, but each to their own. I have a family and a modest size car, so if it weren't for 450 size, I wouldn't be flying.

Come on fellas, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Last edited by davylah; May 16, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 03:41 PM
Registered User
Bad Creation's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,071 Posts
I totally agree
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 08:20 PM
Redjestird Youser
SidewaysLS4's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
I dont think there are many coaxials around here. And arguably there is more work and art put into a 500 or smaller (mostly 450's) fuselage as they suck so badly out of the box. But with a bit of work on the fuse to make it more "right" and mechanical magic...many turn out rather nicely I think.

Not sure how much more work intensive the big stuff gets in comparison...my Funkey Jetranger was the simplest heli I've put together. Just shoot some paint, tinker with the head, and done. Now my 450's...that's another story
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
Rotor madness!
Rodan's Avatar
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Quote:
I dont think there are many coaxials around here. And arguably there is more work and art put into a 500 or smaller (mostly 450's) fuselage as they suck so badly out of the box. But with a bit of work on the fuse to make it more "right" and mechanical magic...many turn out rather nicely I think.

Not sure how much more work intensive the big stuff gets in comparison...my Funkey Jetranger was the simplest heli I've put together. Just shoot some paint, tinker with the head, and done. Now my 450's...that's another story
On one hand, you say there is more work in a smaller heli, then immediately say you're not sure how much more work goes into a large heli...??

You said your Funkey Jet Ranger was the simplest heli you've put together... by comparison, I had over 9 months work in my Funkey Jet Ranger. It depends on what you're doing, and what level of scale detail you are replicating. Alot of the bigger stuff requires a great deal of scratch fabrication (woodwork and scale detail) that you just don't see as often with the smaller helis. For example, I'm over 40 hours into re-doing just the skids on my Vario MD500, and I'm still not done yet...

My interest is directly proportional to the effort put into the build. Seeing the 142nd pre-painted Align 450 size MD500 posted here doesn't much interest me. When someone goes above and beyond, I enjoy seeing the effort, regardless of size.
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Labor of love
All sizes ..... just be proud of your work; no one can take that from you.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 09:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
I think some of you did not understand the gist of my earlier post.

I did not say the smaller ones were not "scale" type of helis, I just said that they are not really for this forum, as this forum is in the FUEL helis area and was formed to discuss FUEL powered scale helis that are generally bigger - those that generally use 550mm blade or larger.

So those with gas/glow/turbine powered helis will read the title of the forum area, and come into this forum, in this area of RCG, expecting to find threads about this type/size of scale heli. Instead, they find many threads about the smaller electrics.

As far as on-line etiquette goes, it is a bit like someone starting a thread in FUEL helis forum asking about an OS-37H engine,and having his thread hi-jacked by others who start to discuss 450 size electric motors.

That is why I expressed my regrets that there is not a special forum, in the small electric area of RCG for small electric scale helicopters. Maybe it is time that all of you interested in such a forum ask the RCG site administrator to open one for you. There certainly seems to be adequate interest to support such a separate scale forum.

We did a similar thing a few years ago in the electric forum. We had one started specifically to discuss the bigger electrics - 550+. As there was adequate interest for it, the administrators started one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/large-electric-helis-592/
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 09:28 PM
Registered User
BigGuyJT's Avatar
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
I think some of you did not understand the gist of my earlier post.

I did not say the smaller ones were not "scale" type of helis, I just said that they are not really for this forum, as this forum is in the FUEL helis area and was formed to discuss FUEL powered scale helis that are generally bigger - those that generally use 550mm blade or larger.

So those with gas/glow/turbine powered helis will read the title of the forum area, and come into this forum, in this area of RCG, expecting to find threads about this type/size of scale heli. Instead, they find many threads about the smaller electrics.

As far as on-line etiquette goes, it is a bit like someone starting a thread in FUEL helis forum asking about an OS-37H engine,and having his thread hi-jacked by others who start to discuss 450 size electric motors.

That is why I expressed my regrets that there is not a special forum, in the small electric area of RCG for small electric scale helicopters. Maybe it is time that all of you interested in such a forum ask the RCG site administrator to open one for you. There certainly seems to be adequate interest to support such a separate scale forum.

We did a similar thing a few years ago in the electric forum. We had one started specifically to discuss the bigger electrics - 550+. As there was adequate interest for it, the administrators started one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/large-electric-helis-592/
I understand what your getting at but it does say:

"Scale Helicopters (9 Viewing)
EP, glow, gas, no matter the power source, if it's got a scale body, this is the place!"
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Redjestird Youser
SidewaysLS4's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
On one hand, you say there is more work in a smaller heli, then immediately say you're not sure how much more work goes into a large heli...??

You said your Funkey Jet Ranger was the simplest heli you've put together... by comparison, I had over 9 months work in my Funkey Jet Ranger. It depends on what you're doing, and what level of scale detail you are replicating. Alot of the bigger stuff requires a great deal of scratch fabrication (woodwork and scale detail) that you just don't see as often with the smaller helis. For example, I'm over 40 hours into re-doing just the skids on my Vario MD500, and I'm still not done yet...

My interest is directly proportional to the effort put into the build. Seeing the 142nd pre-painted Align 450 size MD500 posted here doesn't much interest me. When someone goes above and beyond, I enjoy seeing the effort, regardless of size.
I hear that. And I know you put a lot of stuff into that JetRanger, kudos on that one. I was primarily refrencing how the smaller stuff have grave errors in profile/skids that can be fixed hence the added labor involved. Most of my helis (ok, all, lol) are 5+ footers, but I can apprechate modded large stuff also. But the bigger stuff comes with less problems I think...when the goal is something to be enjoyed at a (far) distance
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
Redjestird Youser
SidewaysLS4's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
I did not say the smaller ones were not "scale" type of helis, I just said that they are not really for this forum, as this forum is in the FUEL helis area and was formed to discuss FUEL powered scale helis that are generally bigger - those that generally use 550mm blade or larger.

So those with gas/glow/turbine powered helis will read the title of the forum area, and come into this forum, in this area of RCG, expecting to find threads about this type/size of scale heli. Instead, they find many threads about the smaller electrics.[/url]
Yep, they probably should rename this forum or start an electric scaler forum of some sort. Thing is...going over various forums, it seems that the glow models are rapidly becoming something of the past. The turbines...well, that's kind of a scalerchelis or runrider turf. For the short time I've been creeping around here, it's been electricville it seemed to me. Maybe move this forum up to the electric heli section and rename it? Seems most around here are electric guys of small through large sizes <shrugs>
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 10:58 PM
Registered User
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
My kid is smarter, bigger and more educated than yours.

I cannot stand other kids (not mine) look small, less sophisticated and read less.

I spend 20 hours weekly to teach my kid, therefore he is better.

This is 199th time you post your kid's photo here, I am growing tired of seeing him.

sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Keyrigger's Avatar
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
From its very beginning, electric heli's of all sizes have been a staple of this forum topic. The original creator of this thread started with a co-ax as his first post and there was never a complaint by anyone about that fact. I have followed this thread since my joining date and have contributed a few pictures and comments along the way. The power plant is not anywhere near as important as this being a common place to share information about scale helicopter building. As pointed out, fuel heli's are not as popular as they were when this forum was started and, IMHO, if it was not for the postings of the many electric heli owners, this thread and forum topic area would most likely be pushing up daisies. Let's concentrate more on the details and workmanship put into the heli's posted and less on the powerplant inside them. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 02:02 AM
Registered User
BigGuyJT's Avatar
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
From its very beginning, electric heli's of all sizes have been a staple of this forum topic. The original creator of this thread started with a co-ax as his first post and there was never a complaint by anyone about that fact. I have followed this thread since my joining date and have contributed a few pictures and comments along the way. The power plant is not anywhere near as important as this being a common place to share information about scale helicopter building. As pointed out, fuel heli's are not as popular as they were when this forum was started and, IMHO, if it was not for the postings of the many electric heli owners, this thread and forum topic area would most likely be pushing up daisies. Let's concentrate more on the details and workmanship put into the heli's posted and less on the powerplant inside them. Take care.

Don
Very well said Don.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 02:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
I understand what your getting at but it does say:

"Scale Helicopters (9 Viewing)
EP, glow, gas, no matter the power source, if it's got a scale body, this is the place!"
Please note that this "Scale Helicopter" forum is in the "Aircraft-FUEL-Heli" sub forum.

The way I understand it is that means it is for discussion of Aircraft that are FUEL powered Helis in a Scale configuration.

Note the other two forums in this same subforum, one is to discuss "Fuel Heli Talk" and the other is "3D Fuel Helis" so is it not logical that the third forum in this sub forum is for discussing fuel scale helis?

Maybe to keep everything clear for everyone, the RCG administrator could make it more defined by changing the title of this one to follow on the other two. Maybe they should title it as "Fuel Scale Helicopters".

I do not think it has anything to do with the alogation relating to whose kids are smarter, who has more money to spend on helis or who spends more time building them. It is simply a question of what sub-forum this scale heli forum is in. It is clearly in the FUEL heli sub-forum, so does that not make it a forum to discuss scale helicopters that are fuel powered?
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Post a picture of your SCALE sailplane s2000 Scale Sailplanes 526 Nov 20, 2014 02:56 PM
Cool post any videos of your 1/2A. rctoyflyer 1/2A Planes 9 Jan 31, 2008 09:25 PM
Discussion For those of you that want to get good videos of your scale planes. randall1959 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 4 Apr 21, 2007 10:02 PM
Will Someone Please Post Pictures of the Inner Workings of a Brushed Motor? CAFB 04-12 Power Systems 25 Jun 21, 2005 10:01 PM
Please post pictures of your GWS warbird Razor setup... flipnidaho Parkflyers 1 Jul 12, 2003 05:54 PM