HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:56 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,756 Posts
Here's some video from a photo shoot last Friday:

Starwood Scale UH-1C Huey In flight (8 min 9 sec)

Jim Davey
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:08 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey View Post
Here's some video from a photo shoot last Friday:................Jim Davey
Brings back memories. I was stationed at the USAF Satellite Test Center in Sunnyvale from 1965-1970 before I went to Vietnam. We used to fly at a landfill on the east side of Sunnyvale just south of Moffet NAS. It's likely covered with buildings by now. When I got there in 1965 there were still lots of orchards in Sunnyvale. By the time 1970 rolled around Sunnyvale looked just like most of L.A. Sweet heli and great video. Thanks for posting.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:43 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Man, I can't wait to get back in the game. You guys have some sweet birds. Kudos to all.

Barry
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Youtube skycop216
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2000
312 Posts
Blue Thunder Color

Working on a 450 size one myself. Mine is stand off scale and will only be one color, dark flat blue. But below pics borrowed from another site. It appears to be shots on LAPD'S Air Division ramp during movie production. You can see clearly in the first pic the main color is a darkish blue and the bottom parts black.

The other two pics do kinda give an illusion that the color is an over all flat black so I can see why people think that. Guess it depends on the lighting and the lack of good quality photos from back then.

A few pics of mine. Still have a lot of work to do. Color is Krylon Fushion Navy blue then shot with krylon clear flat. For size comparrision the MD500 is a heliartist V1 450 size.

David.
jafo216 is offline Find More Posts by jafo216
Last edited by jafo216; Jul 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Talk about blade droop !
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,756 Posts
"Sweet heli and great video."

Thanks - it's always a pleasure when I get the chance to fly Al Wert's Huey. I hadn't flown it for around a year, and the last time was indoors (long story) so it was a blast to get some air under it again.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:10 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,923 Posts
Great pics jafo!! I new I wasn't crazy. The really dark blue is the reason people would argue with me. I thought it was just the sky. In the TV show they made the whole heli like true blue. You can even see it at the florida park, but you can also see the paint flaking off and the black underneath.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,923 Posts
I just found out most of the pics where of the first Blue. Before producers thought that the color may make a difference.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
Happy bluesman
Boca Raton, FL
Joined Jul 2006
468 Posts
SWEEEET 204 Jim, I love it !!! Hueys are my all time favorite helos.

At this point I'm seriously considering putting together an electric powered large Vario 212 with a sound card for turbine sound.

Man, I'm sick...
hrbeta is offline Find More Posts by hrbeta
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,756 Posts
The "204" is Al Wert's (Mr. Starwood Scale Models) personal UH-1C using the body and Jakadofsky Turbine that he sells. Al wanted some video of the model so......

I hadn't flown it for around a year, but it is such as sweet flyer that after that rather scruffy lift off I was right back at home.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Scale Master Helis.....

Enjoy some vids boys......

Scale Master RC - AH-6 Little Bird 95% Complete, Ready for Sale! (4 min 6 sec)

Scale Master - 2 Ship Pavehawk & Blackhawk On The FLT Deck (2 min 58 sec)

Scale Master RC...Featuring Xlights Scale Lighting Systems. (6 min 18 sec)
Scale Master is offline Find More Posts by Scale Master
Last edited by Scale Master; Jul 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:39 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbeta View Post

At this point I'm seriously considering putting together an electric powered large Vario 212 with a sound card for turbine sound.

Man, I'm sick...
When is the completion date?
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:35 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale Master View Post
Great job on the 21st Century Little Bird Scale master.

A few tweaks and it will be perfect:

1. Red/Green navigation lights need their covers repositioned so that they cannot be seen when looking in from the side. e.g. If looking in from the port side only the red skid tip light should be seen and vice versa.

2. T/R needs to be on the port side.

3. Who's flying the heli or are the crew having a tug-o-war.

I really do like the BB magazine on the port side. Please don't shoot me for the constructive comments Lieutenant

Please share your mechanics setup. Really interested to know what motor, ESC and Batteries your Little Bird will be using as these display models are really heavy porkers.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Jul 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbeta View Post

Man, I'm sick...
I did that on my Hirobo AH-1s cobra using benedini sound card. I gave him the sound files off a UH-1 and he input it into the sound card for me. The sound is now available for download on his wesite at www.benedini.de.
The Cobra is a bit narrow for speaker box so it was not to loud in flight but it sounded cool !! I have since taken out the sound card and will be putting it into my own product !! The 800 UH-1C. This time with a built in boom box!!

p.s. My sound is in 3 stages, turbine start up, the hovering thump and the turbine shut down. I have a video of my AH-1s on youtube, go check it out. Search for wilerbee !!
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,476 Posts
I have the AH-6 little bird from 21st Toys and size is somewhere in between a 500 and a 600 heli. Its smaller than the MB-8 and bigger than the MB-7. So I think is a 550 heli.

It is heavy as lead, thats without any modifications so I don't know how light you can get it if you gut half of the useless stuff from the molding.

I have mine hanging from my garage's ceiling and having both, I think the fuselage from Funkey is a better starting point to build something IMO, plus its bigger and lighter.

Good job tho.

G.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus