HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
These are 2 of my scale heli's, the wheels are now fully working on both. Pain in the a#@* but got there in the end!

Airwolf Align Trex 600, Flight in Garden (3 min 45 sec)
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,522 Posts
I know what you mean lol!
Nice smooth hover. You need to get it out in the open.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,316 Posts
topgearuk, how do you keep such a stable hover being so close to the ground?
Wade1 is offline Find More Posts by Wade1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:55 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
topgearuk:

Looks very good. I am building the same model right now and I am curious how you did your battery. I would love to see some pictures to compare notes. I have split the doghouse at the rotor so I remove the front to change the battery. As to the landing gear, I took one servo down and reversed the motor and two of the pot leads to give me a reversed servo so all could be wired together for operation out of one channel. So far, so good. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:02 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
rotoaddict:

It is entirely possible to learn to assemble heli's using the larger ones as it is easier to see the parts. I will admit that assembling small heli's can be hard on older eyes like mine but when it all comes down to it, you should have some form of mechanical capability and the ability to follow assembly instructions using a ruler or calipre to measure hardware that must be installed with the correct length of thread, lol. Anyway, I got the camera mount a couple of days ago and it should be fairly easy to mount it. The hard part is reworking everything on the heli to accomodate the mount and change in CG it will bring. Take care.

Don
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
rotoaddict:

It is entirely possible to learn to assemble heli's using the larger ones as it is easier to see the parts. I will admit that assembling small heli's can be hard on older eyes like mine but when it all comes down to it, you should have some form of mechanical capability and the ability to follow assembly instructions using a ruler or calipre to measure hardware that must be installed with the correct length of thread, lol. ....
Don
So true. Unfortunately "building skills" seems to be well on its' way to becoming a lost art. Seems everyone wants everything to be served up on a platter in an RTF format.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments

@ mhills51... Thanks and yes have been out in the open but not filmed it yet, fly's like a dream.

@ Wade1... Can't really say, but bigger heli's always tend to be more stable.. Although my 450's just as smooth in the hover.

@ Keyrigger.... Thanks, Yes I had lots of fun building this one it's about 20 times as complicated as when I did my previous 500 (very easy that one) and even the smaller 450..

The battery I used in that flight was a 6s 5000 running width ways butted right up to the bulk head, but now I'm using 2 x 6s 3700 in parallel running front to back from the bulk head back on either side of the frame, I get good flight time and also gives a perfect CG, I can take some pics.. I didn't cut the top cover I just unscrew it and turn it 90 and that gives plenty of access.

I used a 700 tail boom cut down and a home made torque drive, as the body is for 50 sized heli's and a 600 is a few cm's shorter and wanted the tail to be in the right place.

The biggest pain as always was the retracts, I found the recommend servo size to small and would collapse under it's own weight when static.. So I used 3 futaba full size servo's and made the holes bigger in the mounting plates.. I did start off by using a Y lead and servo reverse.. But didn't like all the extra cable and couldn't get all 3 wheels to go fully up and down without binding and one of my biggest bug bears is not having proper working retracts or them not going fully away when up!
Now I am using 2 servo's on a short Y and the 3rd in a spare channel on my RX and have mixed it thus allowing me 2 have 2 lots of end point adjustments and sub trims.. I also use a 6 second servo slow built-in to my TX which I find gives it a great look.

I will post pics soon on here.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
So true. Unfortunately "building skills" seems to be well on its' way to becoming a lost art. Seems everyone wants everything to be served up on a platter in an RTF format.
So so true and when the RTF crash they (can) have a problem.
But if you have the skills but not the time they are a solution.

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,648 Posts
Lookin' good Top.
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
So so true and when the RTF crash they (can) have a problem.
But if you have the skills but not the time they are a solution.

Jan,
Nah, they just throw it away and get another.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Heli's are pretty simple. Mostly just assembling parts and tuning. I've got a buddy named Pedro Sanchez who builds/fabricates large scale planes from drawings and a stack of wood. He scored 2nd at Top Gun this year. That guy has mad building skills.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:43 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,648 Posts
A good friend of mine Len Mount is a huge pioneer in heli's....his scale heli skills are incredible. I know from working on and flying full size helis', the rc models are actually harder... :O)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Heli's are pretty simple. Mostly just assembling parts and tuning. I've got a buddy named Pedro Sanchez who builds/fabricates large scale planes from drawings and a stack of wood. He scored 2nd at Top Gun this year. That guy has mad building skills.
That so? Building a Vario kit to flyable condition, just "as is" without even going into the detailing is already too much asked for many RC heli pilots....

Try scratch building a scale helicopter, or even build one from a drawing and a stack of materials.... I'd really like to see your buddy do that....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Last edited by Brutus1967; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
I didn't cut the top cover I just unscrew it and turn it 90 and that gives plenty of access.
That sounds like what I am going to do with my AS350 once the interior is finished and the electronics are moved back inside. I didn't think that there was going to be enough room on the sides to access a low mounted battery to the side of the frame. At least this way, the owner has lots of 5000's from his boat, and it will be a lot easier for him to handle it. Had it been mine, I might have thought about opening the doors to install the battery through them, as I have read that some have had good success doing it that way. I actually didn't give thought to locking in the doghouse to the mechanics, but in reality, what difference would it have made? Most likely, none. Thanks and take care.

Don
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,648 Posts
Well Brutus...........that's exactly what he has done for years........won countless national and international contests, as well as flow special build helis for the movies. I wish I had a 1/10 of his talent. Look him up on Google.