HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,645 Posts
Almost had a disaster today. I changed my swash, but forgot to put the ball link back on the ball for the elevator. Took off like I had one hell of a binding problem in the swash. Was able to get it down safe. Once the ball was back on all was good.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:54 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
You lucky, lucky bastard!

Gongrats for getting it back down safe!

Those things are a nice wake up call for preflight checking, aren't they?

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post

Gongrats for getting it back down safe!

Those things are a nice wake up call for preflight checking, aren't they?

Brgds, Bert
Talking about a wake up call, yesterday I changed the Asymmetrical Spinblades I use on a star-ranger body for two Sabb symmetrical blades to see if they do it better in gusty winds.
I have two sets of them and numbered them for use in a four-blade setup.
When spooling up a huge blade vibration/wobble starts to occur and the body was starts to move up and down and side ways I killed the trottlehold and she stopped shaking as a wet dog.
The problem was that I used two different blades out the two sets and they are really not balanced with each other.
After fitting the correct blades it was a dream and much more steady in wind gusts.
And I was awake for sure

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:25 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Jan,

That is exactly why I don't mess around with blades and heads....Too much chance for something like this, and the risk of being too late with killing the throttle is a bit too much risk for me

I never mix-use part of a four-blade set to a 2 blade set, and never buy two 2-blade sets to make one 4 blade set....
(fortunately I don't have to: the vario blades don't mix anyway and are always balanced as a set, and the Spinblades on the 450's are just the best there are anyway, so no need for cross-testing)

Glad to hear you didn't get any additional damage!

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Just looked over at RR. I'm sorry about the police 500 ouch! I have a CH-53 shell maybe I will bring to our FF. I just have never been happy with the raised tail.
I'll see you in KC
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
Here is the latest video of my friends big, very detailed, turbine Llama with yours truly happily doing the flying.

Lama Turbine Heli - Almost Done! (4 min 57 sec)
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,071 Posts
Awesome Nice flight too
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:28 PM
Heli-Teck
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
115 Posts
Hi guys,
the last week-end I tried the new blades produced by kin, the Scale carbon rotor blades 600 /700 (650 mm).
I tried them on a Hughes MD500 scale 700 with PHT2 turbine with 5 blades, and an electric EC-120 Hirobo scale 60/90 with 3 blades.
I am very pleased with the results and the accuracy of the flight, I get the same result, using only the blades Hirobo scale, but the cost is much higher!

This is the video of the first test flight with the blades
Huges MD 500 PHT2 (3 min 16 sec)
ghostpipe is offline Find More Posts by ghostpipe
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:07 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Nice flight, rotoraddict. I wouldn't mind the chance to fly one of those some time. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
mhills51:

I was test flying a brand new 700 that had been partially assembled by the owner when during a landing approach, the heli became unresponsive about 30 feet up. It seemed to have no power to climb but would hold altitude, which was very puzzling, to say the least. I added full up pitch and forward collective and it started to move forward from the end of the field. It made it a bit more exciting that I was above our asphalt runway while this was going on as the grass was a lot softer with the rain we had been getting. I coaxed it along until it was in the grass area and I could set it down. As it finished spooling down, I checked the cyclic and to my amazment, the elevator arm didn't move up or down. I got really weak at the knees when I grabbed the arm and moved it without the servo making a noise and all this time, the power was still to the servos, so it should have been solid. I looked and found the servo wheel had moved off of the spline but the screw was still there!!!. There was no lock washer under the screw head and it had backed off in the three test flights I put into it. I took it home, loctited the screws and all is good. When I told the owner, I made him promise not to build any more large heli's until he can assemble and fly a 450 or smaller heli from a kit. Did I mention, his soldering skills and wire joining capability are attrocious? Checking my shorts......

Don
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,645 Posts
So glad you got it down! Well that is two close calls, don't these things go in threes?

We had I guy come to the field with his outrage 50 after a crash. He thought everything was ready to go, but while it sat on the bench we noticed the elevator was not level. after checking it out it seems he replaced the servo, but all the teeth were gone off the servo horn.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Now, that's a whoops.....

Don
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:11 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
So glad you got it down! Well that is two close calls, don't these things go in threes?

We had I guy come to the field with his outrage 50 after a crash. He thought everything was ready to go, but while it sat on the bench we noticed the elevator was not level. after checking it out it seems he replaced the servo, but all the teeth were gone off the servo horn.
Thats a tricky one

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
Thanks for the Kudos on the flying of the big Llama guys.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
mhills51:

..... I looked and found the servo wheel had moved off of the spline but the screw was still there!!!. There was no lock washer under the screw head and it had backed off in the three test flights I put into it. I took it home, loctited the screws and all is good. When I told the owner, I made him promise not to build any more large heli's until he can assemble and fly a 450 or smaller heli from a kit. Did I mention, his soldering skills and wire joining capability are attrocious? Checking my shorts......

Don
Good save there Keyrigger. I hope that fellow knows how lucky he is. As for soldering skills, that is one that many lack simply because it takes awhile to attain them.

I agree, that is why learning many of these skills should be done while building smaller helis, but I think they could also learn them by building helis as big as those that 550 blades.