HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
Well I got the retract linkage worked out using two 450sa tail control rods, nice having lots of spare parts laying around.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,382 Posts
Here is one that I have not posted as a build as it went together in a matte of a few hours. It is an Align 450 SEV2 with a Scorpion 2580 kV motor and 13 tooth pinion. It has a head speed around 1800 rpm and I am using a spare 3G system from my 550. The head is an out of production RCA 4 blade unit (they should reissue it) that was rather well machined but the link arms on the blade grips are a bit flimsy. I could probably use a medium length ball from somewhere else but as long as I keep an eye on it, it should stay together. The landing gear have been replaced with the latest version which are a lot more flexible than the ones that came with it. Those and four other sets broke if I looked at them sideways, so these are a pleasure to have in their place. The wheels are way too big on the rear so since I had so many spare small front wheels, I replace them. I will someday get a bit more detail on this one but right now, my AS350 is taking the majority of my attention. Take care.

Don

Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
I had a head like that one only three bladed i hated it i hope u have better luck with yours
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:06 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,382 Posts
Works perfectly with that setup in the A109 body. When I put it onto a Blade 400 and flew it as a pod a boom, it worked without stabilization, and the same when it was put on a T-Rex 450 Pro pod and boom. But once installed in the body, the oscillations started up (could be the blades at the root of this) and it became unflyable until the 3G system was installed. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
Well just found out the canopy will not work with the nylon tail case. I ordered a tarot for two reasons. One the price and two it uses a single screw collar for clamping without the pin. For the belt this makes adjustments possible from the back. Of course I will be replacing the bearings before it go's in.

Hey key! if you have a beast the newest firmware lets you do electronic phasing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,382 Posts
Thanks for that info, but I am leaving it alone in that heli and not purchasing any more 3G/3GX units. I'll stick to the Skookum line in my bigger birds. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
OH-6 600 question?

Hi Jose...now that i am satisfied with the 600 in the air, pitch n throttle curves just right for me, and about 8 minutes with 5K lipo,....i am getting ready for the fuselage and would like to ask you how well the long tail boom and rudder servo fit into the fuse?...any tips you can recall ?....Thanks!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:16 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Hi Jose...now that i am satisfied with the 600 in the air, pitch n throttle curves just right for me, and about 8 minutes with 5K lipo,....i am getting ready for the fuselage and would like to ask you how well the long tail boom and rudder servo fit into the fuse?...any tips you can recall ?....Thanks!
Well, I'm using a Chaos 600, which is wider than the TRex 600, so if fits tight in the dog house.. no need for additional bracing there... which you usually have to do as I read on the forums. I have not experienced the vibrations mentioned on their posts, as I use the Chaos 600 which seems to fit just perfect.... In my case I had to relocate the mounting points on the front part... again... probably because the Chaos is wider.. other than those minor issues it was pretty much a straight forward install. I did and plenty of Epoxy glue to the landing legs into the formes as those tiny screws was no way they would hold... so I reinforced all the mounting points wtih Epoxy, same for the weapons mounting points..

The boom fits fine, however, I learned the hard way regarding the tail servo.. as I found out the way I had the servor did not work... which was the way I usually install tail servos for 3d birds...

On this setup you have to re-arranged the way the servo is on the tail boom. You have to either to as tintmaster did... the first pic belons to him or you used the sullivan flex rods as shown on the other two pics, which belong to Steve's Heli Adventure build...
Or do as I did, rotate the servo around until it clears the back part of the fuse, but if I had to do it agin I would do it like the pics...

Will you be adding a 4 or 5 blade head? I'm using the smarmodel/TF model plug-n-play head... yes, they'r more expensive but I don't have to worry about setting up the phasing. Another reason for going plug-n-play is because I'm using the AR7200BX and it does not have the ability to do electronic phasing like it's counter part the Beastx...

Here is a site with lots of close ups of the real MD Tow Defender...
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/is...dex.php?Page=1

A couple of the threads I followed to some extends then went on my own...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=899332&page=3
http://www.stevesheliadventures.com/...r-build-page-5
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Last edited by JoseReyes69; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
Thanks Jose, i went over all the links like a sponge....i've seen the Golden Rod set-up and and it's easy and works well, and i also like the tip on stuffing the doghouse with foam to reduce vibration....i was very interested in the rudder servo position, on my 500 with Defender fuse, everything just slid in....on your 600, when you said you rotated your servo, was that so it would fit and work back there?....would you say that the servo in it's standard position will not fit, or that a little creative positioning of the control rod is needed? Thanks, i'm asking because linda and i are getting ready to head to Arizona for the winter, and i'm planning my installation and timeframe....
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Last edited by MRFASTPHIL; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
The Chaos 600 is a clone of the standard Align 600, same as the HK600, but with better bearings, so the frame should be the same. The newer Align 600pro's have the narrower frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
The Chaos 600 is a clone of the standard Align 600, same as the HK600, but with better bearings, so the frame should be the same. The newer Align 600pro's have the narrower frame.
The Chaos 600 is not a 100% clone of the Trex 600E. Most of the parts will fit to each other, except you have to select parts from the 600 N to make it fit to the Chaos 600. I have both, and is a mixture of parts... The Chaos is wider than the Trex 600 ESP.
Last edited by JoseReyes69; Sep 17, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:46 AM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Thanks Jose, i went over all the links like a sponge....i've seen the Golden Rod set-up and and it's easy and works well, and i also like the tip on stuffing the doghouse with foam to reduce vibration....i was very interested in the rudder servo position, on my 500 with Defender fuse, everything just slid in....on your 600, when you said you rotated your servo, was that so it would fit and work back there?....would you say that the servo in it's standard position will not fit, or that a little creative positioning of the control rod is needed? Thanks, i'm asking because linda and i are getting ready to head to Arizona for the winter, and i'm planning my installation and timeframe....
I rotated the servo, yes, so it would fit and work in the back area. The servo in the standard position would hit the bottom of the fuselage, so it has to be rotared until it clears the bottom. I will say both, you need to rotate the servo to clear the bottom and then do a little creactivity to do the push rod.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
mhills:

That's a whoops. The 600E Pro is a much wider frame than the standard 600/550 frame. In fact, it is about as wide as the 700. I just finished installing one in my AS350 and was very surprised of the width of the frame. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
I was stuck in 500 land! lol!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:38 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josereyes View Post
Here is the finished cockpit... finally
Finally, got a chance to do a quick hover after all the finishing touches on the cockpit and a little weathering. I added two extra sets of 6.9 pounds of pull magnets to the front piece nose for added security, since I added the extra weight of the cockpit/pilots, nicely secure. I just added a few here and there weathering touches, don't want to over do it. Hovered nicely, no vibration, cockpit still in one piece Now I need to take it to the field and give it a good shake...