HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
I just finished building my first 500 scale Airwolf/Bell 222. I used a little bit of my own imagination, but it actually came out nice. I have done some hovering, but that's about it. I plan to fly it once the weather is in my favor.

Here's a video of my mines duing some testing and what not .

RC Airwolf (Bell 222) - Scale Helicopter: Pre-Flight testing (2 min 29 sec)

Some pics.

Cheers
sonnetg is offline Find More Posts by sonnetg
Last edited by sonnetg; May 18, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,648 Posts
Here is a video of the first forward flight circuits that I flew with my friend John's big Vario AS-315B Llama powered by a Jakadofsky turbine power system from Starwood models.

John's Llama 1st Circuits (4 min 50 sec)
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old May 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
That sure is one nice heli! Nice flying
SidewaysLS4 is online now Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old May 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Nice looking Wolf
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old May 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Creation View Post
Nice looking Wolf
Thanks. It was fun indeed, but little do you realize how much of a pain it can be to work on the heli once it's in the fuselage. Very challenging, but fun indeed
Old May 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
That sure is one nice heli! Nice flying
Thanks SidwaysLS4.

John has invested a lot of time and money into this project. The interior detail is supurb. As an example, when he turns on the instrument panel (it even has a moving map display) lights, a recording of the air traffic controller, giving clearances, is heard etc. You can hear it on the recording we did a few weeks earlier, of the hovering tests, on the same "Luvhelis" youtube channel. There are two earlier recordings there, from the day we first hovered it and started playing with the DJI settings.

This video was of its' first forward flight circuits. The one following, that we shot on the same day, should even be better, as I got more used to how this big, heavy heli flies.

I was trying to make the landings to settle immediately ofter the flare (as we have to do in FAI competitions). Hopefully I will get them to be more of a "kiss the turf" landing as I get more time on it.

Also here, you will not that the cockpit seats and pilots are not there. We left them out for these initial flights so that we could easily get at all the complicated turbine fuel lines and ECU settings and redundant battery systems and other electronics while we did all the initial testing. Hopefully, he will have them installed for the next session.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old May 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
Here is a video of the first forward flight circuits that I flew with my friend John's big Vario AS-315B Llama powered by a Jakadofsky turbine power system from Starwood models.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5HvZNCCZg
That's a beautiful helicopter, and great flying skills too. A question for turbine owners, what is the benefit of turbine engines on a helicopter? Is it for speed only?
Last edited by sonnetg; May 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Brookfield
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
She flys just like the full size, very smooth and elegant transitioning from one maneuver to the next, he done a good job on the build.
Hank79 is offline Find More Posts by Hank79
Old May 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,040 Posts
Quote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5HvZNCCZg
Wow.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old May 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardplan View Post
my Blade mcpx bell 212 i been working on .
Amazing work on these micro helis. Where do you get these fuselages from? Very cute and collectible. Great job.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
So this is not a 'scale' heli?

I say, 'Live and let live' We all build 'scale' helicopters to the best of our abillities, and budget. Does it really matter if it's electric, ic or turbine? Personally, I can't think of anything worse than a nice looking 'scale' heli with a plume of blue smoke billowing out from underneath, and the scream of a 2 stroke single pot assaulting your ears, but each to their own. I have a family and a modest size car, so if it weren't for 450 size, I wouldn't be flying.

Come on fellas, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts

Very well said. I actually like smaller scale helis as well. It's all about photography tricks. I am here to see some beautiful RC scale helis. I really have no idea which is mini/250/450/500/600 scale. It depends on close up camera shots to make something bigger or smaller and about perspective. There is noting worse worse than seeing a 600 scale helicopter videos on a webcam quality head mounted cams. The helicopter looks like bug in those youtube videos. I skip those videos and images.

Anyhoo..great pic your heli. Absolutely beautiful.

here's two images of the my helicopter. One looks huge and the same heli looks tiny in the 2nd image. It's about perspective as well.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Some great looking scale birds in here!

Here is another recent one to take to the air that a friend linked me to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygmDEhta8Qk
Looks like a bug! Get a better cam and learn to make videos!
Old May 16, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
... repeat message. [How do you delete posts?]...
Old May 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:

Mine's bigger than yours............
Haha...exactly. All about perspective. Nice. Almost got me there
Old May 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Made this at work today out of my Silverlit Z-Century,

Makes my 450 Lynx look huge!
That's very cool. How do you make fuselages with foam? CAD design? Cool.

I have a small selection of micro helis, but would love to convert these into fixed pitch copters, instead of coaxials. Any idea where to get started? The smaller the size, the better. I dont have much storage..