HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: TO RE STICK THE THREAD !!!
please restick i find it useful 9 75.00%
dont bother worst thread ever 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
Discussion
if you are new to lipos this is a must read !!!

Important Safety Instructions And Warnings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: Please read before charging or using any Lithium battery

• You must read these safety instructions and warnings before using or charging your batteries.
• Lithium Polymer batteries are volatile. Failure to read and follow the below instructions may result in fire, personal injury and damage to property if charged or used improperly.
1) Use specific Lithium Polymer charger only. Do not use a NiMH or NiCd charger - Failure to do so may a cause fire, which may result in personal injury and property damage.
2) Never charge batteries unattended. When charging LiPo batteries you should always remain in constant observation to monitor the charging process and react to potential problems that may occur.
3) Some LiPo chargers on the market may have technical deficiencies that may cause it to charge the LiPo batteries incorrectly or at an improper rate. It is your responsibility solely to assure the charger you purchased works properly. Always monitor charging process to assure batteries are being charged properly. Failure to do so may result in fire.
4) If at any time you witness a battery starting to balloon or swell up, discontinue charging process immediately, disconnect the battery and observe it in a safe place for approximately 15 minutes. This may cause the battery to leak, and the reaction with air may cause the chemicals to ignite, resulting in fire.
5) Since delayed chemical reaction can occur, it is best to observe the battery as a safety precaution. Battery observation should occur in a safe area outside of any building or vehicle and away from any combustible material.
6) Wire lead shorts can cause fire! If you accidentally short the wires, the battery must be placed in a safe area for observation for approximately 15 minutes. Additionally, if a short occurs and contact is made with metal (such as rings on your hand), severe injuries may occur due to the conductibility of electric current.
7) A battery can still ignite even after 10 minutes.
In the event of a crash, you must remove battery for observation and place in a safe open area away from any combustible material for approximately 15 minutes.
9) If for any reason you need to cut the terminal wires, it will be necessary to cut each wire separately, ensuring the wires to not touch each other or a short may occur, potentially causing a fire.
10) To solder a connector: Remove insulating tape of Red wire and solder to positive terminal of a connector, then remove insulating tape of Black wire and solder to the negative terminal of connector. Be careful not to short the wire lead. If you accidentally cause the battery to short, place it in a safe open space and observe the battery for approximately 15 minutes. A battery may swell or even possibly catch fire after a short time.
11) Never store or charge battery pack inside your car in extreme temperatures, since extreme temperature could ignite fire.

Charging Process
1) Never charge batteries unattended.
2) Charge in an isolated area, away from other flammable materials.
3) Let battery cool down to ambient temperature before charging.
4) Do not charge batteries packs in series. Charge each battery pack individually. Failure to do so may result in incorrect battery recognition and charging functions. Overcharging may occur and fire may be the result.
5) When selecting the cell count or voltage for charging purposes, select the cell count and voltage as it appears on the battery label. As a safety precaution, please confirm the information printed on the battery is correct.
a. Example: The label on a 2-Cell battery pack in series will read – “Charge as 2-Cell (7.4V), or may cause fire” – You must select 2-Cell for charging.
b. Example: The label on a 3-Cell battery pack in series will read – “Charge as 3-Cell (11.1V), or may cause fire” – You must select 3-Cell for charging.
6) Selecting a cell count other than the one printed on the battery (always confirm label is correct), can cause fire.

7) You must check the pack voltage before charging. Do not attempt to charge any pack if open voltage per cell is less than 3.3v
Example Do not charge a 2-cell pack if below 6.6v
Do not charge a 3 cell pack if below 9.9v
You must select the charge rate current that does not to exceed 1C (one times the capacity of the battery). A higher setting may cause fire. The below chart is calculated at 1 x capacity of pack.
Example 730 mAh: Charge below 730 mA
860 mAh: Charge below 860 mA
1320 mAh: Charge below 1.32 Amps

1900 mAh: Charge below 1.9 Amps
2100 mAh: Charge below 2.1 Amps
7800 mAh: Charge below 7.8 Amps
8000 mAh: Charge below at 8 Amps
First Discharge
Keep the flight time to 6-minute sessions with 15-minute breaks.
Storage & Transportation
1) Store battery at room temperature between 40 and 80 degrees F for best results.
2) Do not expose battery pack to direct sunlight (heat) for extended periods.
3) When transporting or temporarily storing in a vehicle, temperature range should be greater than 20 degrees F but no more than 150 degrees F.
4) Storing battery at temperatures greater than 170 degrees F for extended periods of time (more than 2 hours) may cause damage to battery and possible fire.

Caring for Battery
1) Charge battery with good quality Lithium Polymer charger. A poor quality charger can be dangerous.
2) Set voltage and current correctly (failure to do so can cause fire).
3) Please check cell voltage after the first charge.

Example 1-Cell: 4.2V (4.15 to 4.22) 2-Cell: 8.4V (8.32 to 8.44) 3-Cell: 12.6V (12.48 to 12.66) 4-Cell: 16.8V (16.64 to 16.8 5-Cell: 18.5V (18.30 to 18.60)
4) Do not discharge battery to a level below 3V per cell under load. Deep discharge below 3V per cell can deteriorate battery performance.
5) Use caution to avoid puncture of the cell. Puncture of cells may cause a fire.

Operating Temperature
Charge: 32 to 113 degrees F
Discharge: 32 to 140 degrees F
1) Let battery cool down to an ambient temperature before charging.
2) During discharge and handling of batteries, do not exceed 160 degrees F.

Battery Life :
Batteries that lose 20% of their capacity must be removed from service and disposed of properly.
Discharge the battery to 3V/Cell, making sure output wires are insulated, then wrap battery in a bag for disposal.
also Never store with battery fully discharged or fully charged. Use your charger to bring the cells to 3.80 - 3.85 volts per cell. ( thanks bill )

They live longer that way.

note: do not put a heavy load/amp draw on LiPos that are below 85-90F(95-100F is a 'safer' temp for FE boating). putting a big draw on them when cool/cold leads to bloating
(thanks rex r for giving additional info not listed )

running in any type of high load situtation boats ..ect... no lower than 25c continuious not the burst or you may become a fire fighter

run wot for 60 sec and them check temps of the motor and battery .
repete until you have geared / proped it correctly .

this was a post from david hajj on rumrunner thanks david
if possable moderator make a sticky please
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Last edited by rcphreak; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:02 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,071 Posts
2p setups

Thought I'd make a little contibution here. Racing boats tend to pull high amps and many of us run 2p setups tp help keep nominal voltage from sagging.
It can be as simple as a two battery 4s 2p setup which consists of a pair of 4s packs which attach in parallel to the esc to multiple packs ran in series for hv and then parallel connected to the esc.
The attached photo is a 9s 2p set which uses a pair of 4s packs and a pair of 5s packs with a 4s and 5s being attached in series to make the 9s. Then parallel attached to the esc.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
bill34207 as well as poobs has been contributing information ( NOT )contained in the original post and will be added . this thread is for informational purposes only . questions should be made into its own thread . every so often i will go through and delete un used postes to keep it short and neat so do not be offended if your post is deleted it is not ment to be a bad thing . but the information provided will have been added to the original post IF the information is not a repete .

thanks . wayne
Last edited by rcphreak; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:13 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,071 Posts
This might be a useful link. A little how to for building a fast lipo discharger.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620403
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old May 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Great info mate good work
Vn_304 is offline Find More Posts by Vn_304
Old May 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
thank you sir !!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:50 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Apr 2009
199 Posts
``running in any type of high load situtation boats ..ect... no lower than 25c continuious not the burst or you may become a fire fighter'' ------

does it mean when I had a 40c but running at low speed continuious will burn my lipo? Or min lipo for boat are 25c?
acuamie is offline Find More Posts by acuamie
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
min lipo for any boat should be 25c and also if refering to low speed running a boat that is also a no no the lower the speed the higher the amp draw as your pushing alot more water than is needed on a plane and by plane i mean the moment the boat starts to rather skim the water than push it it will at that point lower the amp draw.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
hi what is voltage for each pack? i,m going to buy all of this and build same set up are they 7.4 or 11.1 packs?
jasperchris2007 is offline Find More Posts by jasperchris2007
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
^^^^^^ yes there are many packs out there too many to think about. if building a new project please make a thread so others may help .

this thread is for information not a spacific set up per say .
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Apr 2009
199 Posts
sorry to disturbed this quiet thread but i have some doubt here.
i've purchased gt power 606d and when balance charging complete it show 4.2v on each cell on the lcd. When i do recheck with my lipo hobbyking checker it show cell e.g 1=4.2v, 2=4.17, 3=4.19v and 4=4.15v. and with turnigy checker it show different values that mostly way beyond accepted. but when i charging using other cheap brand charger the end value when check with lipo tester are not much different (around 0.01v) and sometimes perfect 4.2v on each cell.
my question is:
1. is my gt power charger had problem.
2. are different lipo checker normally show different value when checking
3. other's saying that this charger work great only charging at 1/2c max. (i am charging my batteries 4s 5000mah 45/90c with 1c/5a rate) did charge at 2.5a and they seem good but taking more time.
4. is all my batteries problem (i have 8 no's off this well breaking batteries)?
5. should i stop checking all my batteries with other batteries checker after finish charging?
6. all of my batteries after using it on field the volt value are always 3.8v~3.78v range/cell.

your kind answer are really appreciated.
tq
Last edited by acuamie; Nov 04, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:14 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
The $3 battery checkers are not highly accurate and can be out on each cell by 0.05v. They are good for checking charge state or for a bad cell at the field, but not for balancing.
Having said that, chargers can be just as inaccurate. Sometimes you can calibrate the chargers for total V or even individual cells, I know my Icharger can do both but my Imax can only calibrate total V.

Best bet is to confirm with a multimeter. Even the cheaper ones are fairly precise.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,987 Posts
Any cheap multimeter will be more accurate than a 3$ battery checker (unless the multimeter is also 3$). I compared different checkers I bought over the years and the only one I found to be very close to a good quality multimeter is this one:
http://www.blackhorselipo.de/messger...ml#prettyPhoto

By the way, the cheap checker is correct, as it has only one decimal. It will therefore round all the values up to 4.2V. Even the 4.15 could be a 4.152 which rounds at 4.16 and to 4.2.
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2009
199 Posts
Tanx bro. 1 more q. What is the max allowable charge volt/cell. Some says 4.3v and some say above 4.2v not good already. Tanx.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
after you set your charger to the correct values it will not go beyond its pre determend settings .