HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:46 PM
nj
Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts
Discussion
prop in slot wing

Hey guys, this is something I put together in about two hours today. I was shooting for something that would be somewhat speedy. Im going to run a grayson 2212-06 with a 3s zippy 1800. span is 36" with a flat plate airfoil. Does anybody have any opinions on what I should expect? I decided to go with a single vert stab almost like the plank slopers use, should I expect to see ill effects from this? thanks
steve88r is offline Find More Posts by steve88r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:15 PM
To Build? or Build Another?
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
From My experience the single tail allows for more aerobatics and better roll rates, however, I never tried a slotted wing and I dont know how the balancing of the mid motor will affect the flight characteristics as airflow is now pushjed to the back of the wing and not going through the wng.. hope I made sense there.

Seems though that if you put a rudder it should do some flat spins.. make sure u have altitude for it though
genetix is offline Find More Posts by genetix
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:52 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,645 Posts
Looks good, if you can keep the back of the prop slot from screaming really loud That is the only thing I have noticed with the prop is slots, they make a lot of noise.

I just buil a FireFly, my first prop in slot / elevon and it has a rudder, triangle style wing, loads of fun and it is EPP so I cant break it as easy.

I see yours being much the same, cool quick design!

Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:16 AM
korni
Sf. Gheorghe-Romania
Joined Oct 2008
8 Posts
hi,

i also did something like this.

a video can be watched here :

Rc Delta Wing -Foamy (3 min 52 sec)

i think that your wing will fly ok if you get the CG right.

i mean no offence to you but i think that the slot and motor are to far in front of the wing.... with the 3 s 1800 pack and recever,and esc in front of the motor it will be nose heavy... i hope i'm rong....... but you can get an aproximate Cg location for your wing at this link: http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/

let us now how you did.
good luck

p.s. sorry for my english
cornelius79 is online now Find More Posts by cornelius79
Last edited by cornelius79; Jun 17, 2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:07 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,507 Posts
cornelius ... nice wing ..is there a thread and plan for it..

Prop in slots work fine.. and providing you get the cog correct it will fly ok.

you can get advantages with slots, if you have the slot near the back and have the elevons going to the centre and in the prop wash you will get more response to the controlls, especialy at slow speeds, when the airflow from forward speed is minimal.

Other than that ..they can be a bit noisier... similar to a rear mounted prop..zagi style
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jun 17, 2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:40 AM
korni
Sf. Gheorghe-Romania
Joined Oct 2008
8 Posts
[QUOTE=davereap]cornelius ... nice wing ..is there a thread and plan for it..

thank's

i don't have plans and no build log for it . the base for this model was tony's kfm flying wing design
cornelius79 is online now Find More Posts by cornelius79
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:55 AM
nj
Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys. A rudder would be cool and right in the airflow it should do some flatspins very nicely but for now I think im going to get it going like this. Now for the motor being to far forward, I do agree. At first I figured with the tail and the spar being in the rear it would need to be forward more but I think I may have went too far. After I get done work im going to do some glide test but if I cant get it to balance I think im going for the rudder and hopefully that will add enough weight to balance.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:42 PM
nj
Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts
Made some progress and some changes today. after calculating the cg I could not get it to balance even with a rudder servo. I decided to just move the motor back farther and fill in the old prop slot. I also trimmed the vert stab some and added some foam under the nose for duribility. If the weather clears up I plan to maiden it either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:46 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88r
If the weather clears up I plan to maiden it either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Good luck and watch your self, Props in Slots tend to have a healthy hunger for da fingers.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:49 PM
nj
Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts
haha thanks ill try my best. I usually just overhand toss even with pushers but with this one I think I may need to throw it like a DLG.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
haha thanks ill try my best. I usually just overhand toss even with pushers but with this one I think I may need to throw it like a DLG.
With my prop-in-slot, I toss it using a frisbee forehand throw.
I have also see some toss a prop-in-slot with a frisbee backhand throw.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:41 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,645 Posts
Quote:
There are videos of the FireFly being launched like a frisbee "Dead Stick" Then powered up after it is several feet away..... That is a fella that has had Blood Loss.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:17 AM
nj
Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts
Thanks, just did a search and found alot on the firefly. I really like the design. I think the next one I build is gonna be based on that just sized up to about 35" - 40". weathers looking good around here so after work I plan on maiden.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,645 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, just did a search and found alot on the firefly. I really like the design. I think the next one I build is gonna be based on that just sized up to about 35" - 40". weathers looking good around here so after work I plan on maiden.
Like this?

FireFly XXL outside (2 min 44 sec)
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
nj
Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts
yes exactly, It wouldnt be to fast but its so big and floaty that you could learn alot of stuff and it would be very easy to recover.