HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:18 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Too Fragile to Handle... Buyer Beware!

I spent approximately 8 hours building the plane, not the 2-4 advertised. Decals were badly wrinkled and already applied. One of the two EZ connectors for control rods was not threaded (I then stripped it trying to force the screw) and added over 1 hour alone to the build getting a replacement. I build hardwood mounts for servos, as I would not glue them to the balsa servo tray. The foam safe CA takes 30 minutes to dry, so I could have saved time if I used kicker from the beginning.

During my short test maiden flight (all indoors), the plane nosed over on landing and broken off one entire lower wing without hitting anything. After a field repair, I broke the horizontal stabilizer just picking it up.

Finally, I flew it but found rudder channel on aileron more difficult (yes, I fly with rudder) and bounced up into a gym wall with again cracking the lower wing, broken prop and other fixable damage.

I had too much power using a 3 cell 11.1V 300mAh LiPo and bounced off the ceiling avoiding other planes. A mid-air collision with blue foam plane totally destroyed the Pup (both wings cracked, bracing broken, elevator and rudder control horns broke out, etc.) with absolutely no damage to the blue foamy, not even a broken prop.

Not recommended.
bryadelm is offline Find More Posts by bryadelm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:58 PM
Crashing but learning...
Brazil, São Paulo, Sao Paulo
Joined May 2009
463 Posts
Thanks for the nice review !

I have the pup since they launched it on the market, and in the beginning I had a couple of serious crashes , but after some hot glue and tape she was back in the air again !
Always flew outdoors and was a relaxing flight, ideal to open or end the flight session , I use 2s1p 800 lipo and can get flights of 9 minutes !
Landings are very nice, specially touch and goes (after you get used to this plane).
I do agree with Bryadelm some parts of this plane are fragile but I think it's a very good plane for the price they sell it.

Here is some pictures of my last flight (note the tapes, my improvised machine gun and my pilot, not the profile one)
Wildweasel09 is offline Find More Posts by Wildweasel09
Last edited by Wildweasel09; Jan 30, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:59 AM
SRM
Ontario, CANADA
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Power Options?

Would anyone know if the Turnigy C2020 BL outrunner would be a viable alternative to the GP Rimfire 250? I have all the accessories (ESC, servos, etc) needed to complete this model but would like to know the outrunner I already have will suit. I don't want to buy another motor if at all possible.
SRM is online now Find More Posts by SRM
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:35 AM
Crashing but learning...
Joined May 2009
463 Posts
SRM,
The Turnigy C2020 will not fit to this job, the 2020 is better for micro planes like the gravity/cox warbirds where the prop would be between GWS 4025 to 4530 or the 5x3 gws.
You will need something that can turns one prop size like the APC SF 9 x 7.5 so you can fly very well indoors and outdoors in a no windy day.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:35 PM
SRM
Ontario, CANADA
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildweasel09 View Post
SRM,
The Turnigy C2020 will not fit to this job, the 2020 is better for micro planes like the gravity/cox warbirds where the prop would be between GWS 4025 to 4530 or the 5x3 gws.
You will need something that can turns one prop size like the APC SF 9 x 7.5 so you can fly very well indoors and outdoors in a no windy day.
OK, thanks. I'll keep an eye open for the recommended Rimfire 250.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:33 AM
SRM
Ontario, CANADA
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Would the AXI 2204/54 outrunner be a viable alternative to the Rimfire 250? The Hobby Lobby web pages list this as being ideal for planes up to 11 oz flying weight and rums from the 2S 300mAh lipo that is recommended for the GP Sopwith Pup. I have one of these still shrink wrapped and it sounds like a good match?

Sorry for the motor questions, but things like this have me scratching my head.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:10 PM
Crashing but learning...
Joined May 2009
463 Posts
SRM,

No problem, about the AXI 2204/54, I think it will be ok! Use the propeller recommended by hobby lobby 8x3.8 apc, I use lipos 2s 800mah and plane flies very well!
Any other question let me know!
In my blog I have something about the pup and one scratchbuild I did based on the pup (sopwith triplane).
Looking forward to see your flight report.

Nelson
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I'm getting ready to build one of these little critters and the current Electrifly page says to use the Rimfire 250 yet a rimfire 300 was used in the review. Since all of our flying is outdoors wouldn't the 300 be a better choice?

Also, how much battery can I get away with without making the plane too heavy for slow handling? I'm trying to find the median battery weight for good flight time without messing up the CG and handling of the plane.

Thanks in advance for any help..
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,076 Posts
I also used the Rimfire 300 , and with the 300 - 400 mah lipos , it was a bit nose heavy , BUT , still the best flying plane that I ever had , for me , a slow flyer dreams come true
The Rimfire 300m has a LOT of power for the PUP , and I just installed a Rimfire 250 , so I could go with a larger lipo battery .
Not test flown yet with the 250 .

My only problem has been the wheels retaining , make sure , and do it right the first time , or you will be trying to unglue and remove the wheel covers to get to the axle ends again , the wheels retention , and light poles
have been my only problems with this PUP , a great slow flying biplane .
The times that I have hit the light poles have been while flying SLOWLY , and it never even reached the ground , I somehow managed to save it each time , with no damage .........so far .

Sopwith Pup , my favorite
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Thanks for the help Wattman. Are you running 2S or 3S batteries?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,076 Posts
2S or you may rip the wings off .
And 3s will not fit into the battery space .
Rigging thread / wire is needed on the wings to keep them intact and flying well .
good luck and enjoy
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Thanks for the advice Wattman. I'm looking forward to getting it built as see how it does.

John.