HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
17 Posts
Help!
Super Cub - Crash and Repair guidance

Hi,
I have purchased and Super Cub LP and loving it. So easy to fly.... until you crash it :-)

I crashed it trying to do a loop too close to the group. Silly me! The same is as following:

- cracked (shattered) Cowl/nose
- some minor structural damage around the battery holder.

So... my questions are the following:
- How do I replace the cowl, by the looks of things you need to take off the prop, but dont know how.
- What should I use to repair the minor structural damage.

Also, is there any recommendations on links which provide info on how to get the most out of the plane e.g. Upgrade options?

Cheers
A.
gusmac is offline Find More Posts by gusmac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:41 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Minor structural damage... I recommend fast cure "Gorrilla Glue" This stuff expands into the little cracks and fills gaps. Appx 15 min to set up... about 1 hr or so before you should fly.

You can hold stuff together with clear packing tape while the glue cures. Often you just leave the tape on.

Typically the prop is just pressed onto the motor shaft. (there are several foamie Super Cubs...) However there are other methods that might have been used. I haven't seen the "LP" If its a pressed-on prop it will pry off without much trouble. Unfortunately the props are often cracked in the process of prying them off. Once cracked the prop won't stay on.

There are a few threads here dedicated to the Hobby Zone or Hobby Lobby Supercubs. Most should apply to yours..
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Ditto on the gorilla glue. However, for "minor" repairs, you can get away with just packing tape.

Also, the Z foam the Super Cub is made from can be repaired using any CA glue (superglue). I would suggest you get some from your LHS and pick up a spray bottle of kicker too - this makes the CA set up almost instantly.

The prop is super easy. Pull the black nose cone straight off. It is not held on with anything. You will then be able to remove the one nut holding the prop on.

The cowl can be fixed with clear packing tape as well if the damage isn't too bad. Or, when you go to your LHS, pick up a spare cowl and a spare prop. Always better to have an extra so you don't lose a days flying for cheap parts.

I love my SuperCub still and I have a bunch of other planes. In fact, I flew it a bunch this weekend. It spent 3 months in a tree so I'm not worried about keeping it pretty. It is nice to have a plane that I can absolutely beat to death and do stoopid stuff like trying to limbo under tree branches or fly around a soccer field at 3 feet off the deck.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Don't re-use damaged props either, or try to repair them. Think of what can happen with a prop spinning at 4,000rpm that's been repaired
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
supercub is a great trainer plane. but actually when i first saw it, i was thinking if i could really fly it.. then i just settled with a slowstick...total noob me.
esselte is offline Find More Posts by esselte