HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:02 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Aug 2008
186 Posts
Discussion
hz mini super cub aileron mod

I have added ailerons to my HZ mini super cub..I built a flat wing ..same size as original and and cut out ailerons...Flys great..tigher more controlled turns..
But I have an issue maybe some one could help...When I try to roll it , It gets almost inverted...then dives straught down...fortunately I had enough height to recover... but I'm wondering if this is normal for a high wing aileron plane ..or have something setup wrong..or pilot error...I have repeated this move many times..same results...dive dive dive..
Thanks
micro_doc is offline Find More Posts by micro_doc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
That's not normal for high wing planes but I can think of a couple of possibilities.

Are you going fast enough? Have you tried diving a little to gain some more speed before rolling?

If you do half a loop, will it stay inverted? Do you need lots of 'down'? Have you tried rolling out after a half-loop?

It's likely you have the CG too far forward for aerobatics - the stock position is almost certainly set a long way forward to make it stable for beginners. This will mean that you'll need almost full 'down' elevator to keep it level when inverted. Try taping coins to the tail (only one at a time, if you go too far back the elevator will get very twitchy and the plane will be unflyable). Look for a sweet spot where it only needs a little 'down' to hold inverted flight, and the elevator is responsive but not super sensitive.

Do the ailerons move the same distance up and down, or they go up more than down? If there's a lot of differential it can act funny.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:53 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Aug 2008
186 Posts
I have not tried any of the above..but nose heavy could be a possibility..
I'll try adding weight to the tail..
thanks.
micro_doc is offline Find More Posts by micro_doc