HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bajora, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,777 Posts
Cool
A Super Tigre .10 on my PZ T28 Trojan (New Electric Power System)

How about a new, and I do mean NEW, power system for my old friend!? Parkzone has probably sold an incredible number of their T28 RTF war bird. I bought one after seeing a friend have way too much fun with his. And it quickly became a solid member of my hangar. It is an all around fun plane to fly and has no bad habits. And thanks to the fact that I can pick up spare parts at my local Hobbytown USA, I am very emboldened when I fly it. I routinely will try stunts and aerobatics with it that I normally would shy away from, due to the potential for damage or loss of the airplane. But with the T28, a whole new fuselage will only set you back 40 bucks and they are typically in stock just five minutes down the road from me.

I have been flying mine for over a year bone stock, as it came out of the box.
I saw no real reason to make any changes to it, as the stock power system was more than adequate. Recently, however, I was lucky enough to receive some new electric components that came with a name affixed to them that anybody who has been in this hobby for a few years will instantly recognize: Super Tigre. And I was asked to use the components on some of my electric airplanes to see what I thought of them. Many folks have hopped up the PZ T28 by putting a Power 10 on it. Since one of the Super Tigre motors is a .10 sized motor, I set about upgrading my T28 with it.

Though there is an ever increasing abundance of manufacturers selling electric brushless motors, speed controller and lipoly batteries, I find it interesting that the Super Tigre brand has appeared with a line of electric components. It is a very competitive market for sure and the economic recession has made all of us choose
very carefully what we spend our hobby dollars on. The entire product lineup can be viewed here:

Super Tigre Electric Power Systems

The Super Tigre .10 is a surprisingly small outrunner, compared to some other 10 sized brushless electric outrunners I have seen. I selected it, along with the Super Tigre 30 amp ESC and 3S 1800 15C lipoly battery for my power system upgrade. It was pretty easy to mount it to the nose of the T28, using some nylon spacers and 4/40 hex head screws. The stock 480 power system on the T28 is a 200 watt power system. This upgrade will put me up at 300 watts, using the same 9.5x7 prop that comes on the T28. And both the old and new motors have a 4mm shaft. The ESC slid right into position, as did the 1800 3S lipoly. One detail I find really amazing is the cost of the little .10 motor! How does $24.00 sound?! Though the prices on the ESCs and lipos are not necessarily in my opinion as competitively priced, the three brushless motors seem to be priced at a point that makes them quite competitive and worthy of consideration.

Super Tigre 10 -
Maximum constant watts=320 - Suggested Prop sizes:10x7E to 11x7E

Super Tigre 400 - Maximum constant watts=145 - Suggested Prop sizes:9x3.5SF to 11x7SF

Super Tigre 370 -
Maximum constant watts=125 - Suggested Prop sizes:9x3.5SF to 11x4SF

I will be posting some EagleTree data after I get the T28 back in the air. I will also be retrofitting other airframes around my shop to use some of these new Super Tigre components in the near future.Though I am not really thrilled that the Super Tigre batteries and speed controllers use what appears to be another new, proprietary connector system, I will say I like the way the connectors plug together in a super fail safe manner. And they are also easy to grip and pull apart.

I am excited to try this new Super Tigre power system in my old friend. And I am excited to see a brand that has been around as long as I can remember move into the realm of electric components. Best of luck to you Super Tigre!! And look for these components soon at your local hobby retailer or Towerhobbies.com.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:10 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Cool. Looking forward to your report.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jun 15, 2009, 02:43 AM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,538 Posts
Wow.... I'm anxious to see if your going get a constant 300+ watts from a 69g motor without a melt down.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:42 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Looks great... can't wait to hear how this motor works out for you!

I don't know off hand how much the stock motor weighs, but I assume this one is a bit lighter.... did you have to add any weight to the nose to get the CG to the correct spot?

BTW, the Hobbycity/Flightmax/Zippy packs that I have gotten recently had similar connectors on them. I wonder if they're the same? I wonder if that means that Super Tigre is using the same packs as Hobby City?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
Looks great... can't wait to hear how this motor works out for you!

I don't know off hand how much the stock motor weighs, but I assume this one is a bit lighter.... did you have to add any weight to the nose to get the CG to the correct spot?

BTW, the Hobbycity/Flightmax/Zippy packs that I have gotten recently had similar connectors on them. I wonder if they're the same? I wonder if that means that Super Tigre is using the same packs as Hobby City?

No, the packs that I was sent are larger, and heavier than the zippys and the like. Also, the thunder power packs are a 15c discharge.
chase4556 is offline Find More Posts by chase4556
Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Not to sound negative, but is it even possible that little motor will handle 320 watts continuous without going into a super critical meltdown?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:16 PM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
738 Posts
kewl

Great news! A new motor from super tigre and its electric? Great!

Thanks for posting,

Pyro
pyrobus is online now Find More Posts by pyrobus
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:17 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,386 Posts
Looks like the EC3 style connectors. They house banana plugs and should be superior to Deans style connectors. They seem to be the new trend on higher amp setups.

Thanks for the info on these new motors Jon.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:05 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
I will be posting some EagleTree data after I get the T28 back in the air.
I was just looking at this Super Tiger .10 motor at the hobby shop. Looks neat, googled it to look for some real specs such as how many amps this motor pulls on suggested 11x7E prop and 3s lipo, as well as measured thrust. Lack of google results have led me to believe you are the only one in the world with this motor mounted on an airframe to date.

Published specs show it to be capable of just 14watts less continuous and 18g lighter than an eFlite park 480 1020Kv.

Please come back to the thread and share some real world info.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:41 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,777 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Eagle Tree data logger in the T28. This is using a couple of TP V2 2100 3S packs that are a little long in the tooth IMO, and the stock Park Zone 9x6 prop. I want to play around with different props next.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:54 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,777 Posts
Propped up to a APC E 10X7 today and pushed three 3S 2100s through the plane HARD. The lil Super Tigre performed very well and handled the wattage increase fine!

Here a few Eagle Tree plots with data

How can you go wrong, for like 23 bucks!? Seems like a great way to hop up the Park Zone war birds w/o breaking the bank?!

Picked up another 50-60 watts. Will try the 11X7 next.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:16 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
I just bought one today, how did the 11x7 go?
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:46 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,777 Posts
We'll try it today and try to post data later.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2009, 04:33 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,777 Posts
I might be pushing the power system a little with this combination? The 11X7 is an old one I had lying around and it sounds TERRIBLE in flight. Ether needs balanced ... or replaced!

But the Trojan was really quite lively on the 11X7. Peak Power of just over 400 watts is of course outside the rated output of the motor BUT I logged about four flights on it today and it did not complain one bit!

The 45C Thunder Power lipos are simply amazing too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:22 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Excellent! I think i had a lucky break then with the Eflight power 10 being out of stock.

I am running this motor + Thunder bird 36 (or phoenix 35 if I must) and a 3cell 2150 extreame Thunder power pack. The LHS only had the apc 10X7e in stock, so I got that one. The pack is the older kind, rated for 51a cont and 105a burst but its a lot less than that in reality.

Cant wait to get this thing in the air.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs