Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:07 AM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
131 Posts
Discussion
Belt CP vs Belt CP V2

Hey, I have been looking at the Belt CP V2 fairly seriously lately while learning as a beginner.

I just hit the local classifieds site (Actually looking for radio sets) and found a Belt CP (original) with 2 spare sets of blades, a bunch of spare head parts, 10 spare feathering shafts, training gear, 2 spare LiPo batteries, USB cable for radio, and simulator. For $200 CDN flat (and it's local, so no shipping)

That is much cheaper than I would pay for a V2, plus the spare parts are a nice start.

My question is: what are the main differences between the Belt CP, and the Belt CP V2. Some reviews I have read say that the V2 is Brushed Motor (easy to change), and that it has a Headlock Gyro (but I read somewhere else the Belt CP was Headlock as well).

Anyway, just wondering:
- What are differences
- How hard is it to upgrade all the "lacking" parts so it would be essentially the same or better as V2. (so I could start on the Belt CP, and upgrade it later).

Any other thoughts on this deal?
Glasswalker is offline Find More Posts by Glasswalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:36 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
The Belt CP V2 has a better gyro and 2.4ghz Tx/Rx and optional stronger motor. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same. I think the first Belt CPs may have had a brushed motor, but was upgraded to brushless some time ago. Before buying, I'd make sure it was the brushless motor. Someone told me the Belt CP V2 had upgraded servos, but I usually replace servos in any heli with HS servos before long.

If you are planning on upgrading the Tx/Rx later, there's no reason to pay for the V2 2.4ghz setup you aren't going to use.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
131 Posts
What kind of problems might I see with using a Mhz TX/RX instead of a 2.4 Ghz... I was under the impression 2.4 is the way to go because of no interference. But in the end I guess 2.4 is fairly new, and this hobby has been around a while. Probably not too big a deal initially, since I can replace the TX/RX later (And with a cheaper heli, that might be possible sooner).

Yeah this one definately has the brushless (I checked) and the model numbers on the gyro are different than the V2. Also the Gyro is not Heading Hold. Which has me concerned. That's something I might want changed right away.

I'll have to look at what an upgraded gyro would cost me.

(I can get the V2 for $300 shipped to canada, but if this one is $200 local, and it has the extra parts, as long as the Gyro isn't too expensive that still sounds worth it).
Glasswalker is offline Find More Posts by Glasswalker
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:07 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
2.4ghz is a big deal in areas where poor reception or interference are a problem, or there are other heli pilots using 72mhz (you have to ensure you aren't using the same crystal). Most of my helis and programmable Tx systems have been 72mhz. 72 mhz systems are highly compatabile, 2.4 ghz systems are not.

I wouldn't worry about the gyro right away, I'd wait and see how the rate gyro behaves; some are crap, others work fine for typical sport flying. Yes, you will need to upgrade; but it may be fine to practice hovering, even if it's crap. You will find out soon enough. You can find decent HH gyros for $25 - $50.

Odds are you will need better servos (especially a much better tail servo), a better ESC and/or BEC and an HH gyro that handles digital servos. But, you don't need these things right away and these are the same upgrades you would need for any 450 heli unless you built it yourself and bought decent components to start with. None of the RTF helis come with good components, except maybe the TT Innovators and they cost $600.

Realistically, no matter how or where you start, a real good 450 class heli is going to cost you $600 or more. But, giving me real good equipment would be like giving a camera to a blind man.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:28 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Gyro, schmyro. I think you'll find rudder the least of your control worries. The rate gyro takes some of the busyness out of the RUD stick. These things flew fine for decades before heli gyros were invented. No dealbreaker, gyro.
Quote:
giving me real good equipment would be like giving a camera to a blind man
Nailed me with that one. 450 sitting here I'm qualified neither to operate nor to reassemble. Keeps me bouncing HBFP off walls and furniture trying to learn.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasswalker

I just hit the local classifieds site (Actually looking for radio sets) and found a Belt CP (original) with 2 spare sets of blades, a bunch of spare head parts, 10 spare feathering shafts, training gear, 2 spare LiPo batteries, USB cable for radio, and simulator. For $200 CDN flat (and it's local, so no shipping)

Any other thoughts on this deal?

Buying a used heli local ?? Ask to see it fly first. An honest seller will not refuse performing a quick demo flight before/when you pick it up.
Kevo500 is offline Find More Posts by Kevo500