HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:09 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
Looks awesome. At 1/9 scale you should have a nice size plane. What will your power be? This will be sticks and tissue?
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
This project reminds me of the FW56 Stosser I recently built. Similar type of parasol plane of mixed construction, with a large, solid cowl. If I could have done one thing differently, I would have built at around your 40" span than the closer to 30" span that I built at. As far as the build goes, it was done on the fly, using a 3-view as a guide. Are you planning to fully CAD design the plane first, or just get started with a basic outline/formers, and work out the details as you go?
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Oct 01, 2009, 01:29 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Warhead,

It will be along the lines of the original: skinned cowling and stick/tissue over the rest. The motor I've set aside is a RCHotdeals special that runs 150-180W on 3S. I'm running the same outfit in a similarly-sized sport plane that I've really liked.

WTFLYR--your Stosser is a nice little build. For the Curtiss I'll reduce the solid model to the final framework and the result will become the cut file. I've got a ways to go that just got longer now that the little woman wants me to design a patio in CAD.

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:51 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Paul - Great CAD work on a great subject. This one has a really beautiful form. I'll definitely be watching with interest. Best of luck!
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:08 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Thanks, Led. Maybe a micro-version is in the future? Those little baby bipes of yours are really sweet!

Dad's home with a barfing 7 year old today. Bummer for both of us but at least I've got an excuse to spend a day doing CAD. Well, now that I'm done cleaning the carpet--ew.

Got quite a bit of the deconstruction done today. Just the ailerons and fuse are left. With a little luck I might be laying down the cut files by Monday.

The ailerons are a bit longer than stock but they're narrower than I'd like do to the enormous outer wingstrut faring. Should be ok for scale performance, but she definitely won't be a sport plane.

Paul
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:00 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Warhead,

It will be along the lines of the original: skinned cowling and stick/tissue over the rest. The motor I've set aside is a RCHotdeals special that runs 150-180W on 3S. I'm running the same outfit in a similarly-sized sport plane that I've really liked.

WTFLYR--your Stosser is a nice little build. For the Curtiss I'll reduce the solid model to the final framework and the result will become the cut file. I've got a ways to go that just got longer now that the little woman wants me to design a patio in CAD.

Paul
That's probably the only way that would interest me in using CAD, being an ex-Pro-e guy. You can pretty much get anything out of the 3-D model. It's easier for me to work from 3D to 2D, than vice versa. I would probably export DXFs to ACAD, after putting enough thought into what sections I needed.

The Stosser is typical of my scratch builds, in that the 1 evening spent enlarging and taping together sheets of an enlarged 3-view with sections, is about all the patience I have in the planning stage. I like to get to the balsa as soon as possible. It's amazing how quickly you can frame up a plane with a 3-view, using the Guillows design method.

Your Curtiss has definitely caught my interest, after building a similar era parasol plane. It's a pretty plane.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:36 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Man the time flies by! It took a bit longer to get a battery hatch and wing attachment layout that I was happy with. The hatch result will be a vac formed cowling with light internal framework. The parting lines are the same as the original cowl housing the Conqueror V12. Plenty of access to the motor and battery from here.

The wing attachment will involve a removable hatch permantly fixed to the wing by the cabanes. It will be fixed in place by pins in the back and a single 10-32 in the front. Once removed the rudder and elevator servos will be accessible.

Now for the cut files!

Paul
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:38 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Entering the Building Phase

The cut files went out last week so this project has effectively moved from a CAD exercise to construction.

The first step was to build a little tank to soak the strips of 1/32" balsa that make up the wing tip and tail laminations. As Jr had recently worked with me on some irrigation repairs, he was given that assignment. He made a 26" long tank from 3/4" PVC. This easily fits 20 strips or so--perfect.

After an overnight soak in water with a little ammonia the strips were very submissive. We painted the mating surfaces with a mixture of carpenter's glue and ~30% water, pinned the lamination tightly to the styrofoam form, and left the result to cure overnight.

There's a few odds and ends to arrange on the plan drawings to keep me busy until the parts show up. This is the point where the size of the project becomes a reality. While this project isn't really that big (WS = 42") it's bigger than most of mine. That's becoming very clear to me now that I need two D size sheets for the plan.

Have fun,

Paul
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:00 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Very nice subject Paul !
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:33 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Paul - Excellent idea on the soaking tank... I usually just use my wife's bathroom sink which usually gets me in trouble.... I guess the ammonia helps it to saturate better?

Anyway, I'm so excited to see this one come together! Those drawings are just beautiful. It might make a great micro model, I wonder how small you could make this one and still keep it nice and stable with the flat wing...

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:36 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
The ammonia softens the lignin (I think that's what it softens!) in the wood more effectively than simply soaking the wood in water.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:40 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Check out this link, down the bottom, page 157
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...6c%206&f=false
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Last edited by woodsy; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:02 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Back at it!

Woodsy--thanks for the link. That book is chock full of ideas for future projects.

After a bit of a hiatus the Curtiss is under full swing again. Zeke sent out the short kit and luckily this time the postal gods smiled upon the project--no boot prints.

To get started the tail group was framed up and filled in. The parts fit was very good, but the doofus that designed this thing left out a couple of notches here and there--oops! Anyways, we're off and running now.

Paul
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:16 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Looking good Paul... wait till you you have her all framed up, your gonna sit there and say, damn, that's alot bigger than I thought it was.
Funny how CAD makes everything seem smaller, until you actually build it.

Good luck,
Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Yeah, I've been thinking that alot. I think the solution is to work on a 42" screen instead of a laptop.

Paul