HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by UBILDIT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:29 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Cool
SuperCub Powers.... Activate

The transformation of the SuperCub is nearly complete. I have the clipped wing twin motor version ready to go, complete with fabricated nose cone. Now the only part of the transformation to comlete is to make an outrunner mount detachable so that I can remove the solid nosecone, put an outrunner on the stick mount that's under it, put the original cowl over the outrunner, then replace the twin engine wing with the original wing. I should be able to make the SC into two different planes within a matter of minutes. I'll add pics as I make the transformation.. Hopefullly will get some flying pics of it tommorow. Anyone have any ideas about what kind of plane it looks like with the twins and the new nose on it... I can't quite place it...

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by UBILDIT; Jul 07, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add pictures
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:54 PM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
all you need is a set of floats and you'll have the whole twin engine hydroplane look down pat
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:56 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined May 2009
147 Posts
+1 matching floats. Nice job.
chrisellington is offline Find More Posts by chrisellington
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
The white nose and motors almost give it the look of an old Ford Triplane?

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
921 Posts
Champion Lancer?

Google Champion Lancer.

It's fuuny, I was looking at this the other day and planning to build one with a current project of an Aeronca Champion.
I have not seen one modeled yet.

Daniel

Link
http://www.8kcab.com/8KCAB-Hist6.html
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Last edited by dlazarus6660; Jun 14, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:20 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
UBILDIT, sharp plane!

oblivion, what is the name of that plane you posted??
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:10 AM
Where the buffalo roam....
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Well, I can't place it either, but it looks sweet! Excellent job with that.
Spidey2011 is offline Find More Posts by Spidey2011
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:30 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Great Minds..

Thanks for all the comments everyone.. I'm all about the matching floats and as it happens, I've already got a set in the works. The basic GWS floats are the perfect size for the SuperCub I've just got to finish them. also, in the picture with the white cowl, it does look like a tri-motor in fact I was going to just mount a gear box in there with no motor and put a smaller prop on it to let it freewheel around to give it the look of three motors, but I thought it might really slow it down too much. The Aeronca is also one of my favorites, but this one has turned out to be too much fun not to bash. The foam is tuff an paint friendly and theirs lots of room inside for extra battery, esc and whatever servo and radio you want .. other than the stock stuff of course. I'm attaching two of the photo's I took of it flying today, when we had a short break in the downpour's we had all morning. Thanks again for the comments.. more transforming supercub action to come. and hopefully some video.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:19 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron
UBILDIT, sharp plane!

oblivion, what is the name of that plane you posted??
i just googled twin engine float plane on google images.

it was like the 2nd pic in the list

http://www.superyachttimes.com/edito...article/id/594
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion
Old Jun 14, 2009, 05:48 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Pretty cool conversion, nice job.
Henry
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:00 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Yup, this reaffirms my suspicions. You're crazy.

Nice job, buddy! Let me know the time you're out flying it, I'd love to see it!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:19 PM
we spozed ta be tite!
Nowata, OK
Joined Aug 2005
159 Posts
Kewl plane man!
fr0g_D is offline Find More Posts by fr0g_D
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:40 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Did I miss something, or is there a section where you show how you created the nacelles? That would be the key component I would think, and I would love to see your notes. Or perhaps you could scan in a copy of the created shapes? So we could print it out and create our own nacelles? Thanks, just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBILDIT
The transformation of the SuperCub is nearly complete. I have the clipped wing twin motor version ready to go, complete with fabricated nose cone. Now the only part of the transformation to comlete is to make an outrunner mount detachable so that I can remove the solid nosecone, put an outrunner on the stick mount that's under it, put the original cowl over the outrunner, then replace the twin engine wing with the original wing. I should be able to make the SC into two different planes within a matter of minutes. I'll add pics as I make the transformation.. Hopefullly will get some flying pics of it tommorow. Anyone have any ideas about what kind of plane it looks like with the twins and the new nose on it... I can't quite place it...

Bo
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
No Problem.

Taekwondo,
No problem. I kept the cut out foam shapes that I formed the nacells with. Basically, I used a contour guage from the leading edge of the wing back and started from there. The cowls are simply strips of bluecore in a ring with lid glued on then monokote ironed on. I'll take some pics for posting the general idea. But in general, it was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be, however I learned how to do it from building Vyceroy's Sorta Grumman Goose which uses the same methods. I'll try to get them up for Monday.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:54 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Nacelles..

O.k. here it is.. pics of making the nacelles the way I made them for the Super cub. It was kind of down and dirty, but I thought it would make good practice for me to whip up another set. A lot depends on how far the motor, stick mount or whatever kind of mount you're using comes out from the leading edge and what style nacelle you're going for. I was going for one of those semi-square kind of round nacelles like on a Piper Chereokee.. I think..
Hope this helps..

Bo
RCG Plus Member