SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:22 AM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Discussion
best OSD with most features for the money? OSD product matrix here..

I've been digging around at the idea of going with an OSD for my future Rangevideo 900mhz 500mw (kx191) setup? (btw, is the kx191 an ok camera, can it even be used in the dark fairly well)?

From everything i've read on here and the net, here seem to be the options:

elogger, complete OSD/GPS, $309 total plus (Fma copilot needed for return to home?) (if i just want to record to a file and later overlay this data, do i just need the main module, the altimiter and speed sensors?)

rangevideo OSD, these guys offer a $355 package, but it includes GPS return to home, which is great, but if i just want basic OSD that can be interfaced easily, its a bit pricey (though i think for $355 you must add fma copilot to it, so higher cost, and probably the same is true with elogger?)

cheaper OSD, but again, not sure how it interfaces or if it does onboard recording of a file: http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentvu/altiosd.htm ($174 US)..

cheapest OSD, remzibiOSD, $117 or so total, even has some limitted GPS, but no return to sender (can this return to home be added on?)

For the money, if return to home can later be added, the remzibiosd sounds like a steal? Or maybe the elogger, piecemail style?

Or is there some major reason to go $355 some bucs for the rangevideo.. does that rangevideo system beat out these other two with ease of setup or use overall? IE: which is the easiest to just plug and chug (i understand that with the remzi one, you must do some splicing and soldering for the video feed wires, i dont think this is the case with the others?).

Am i missing any potential parts in this list? My plane is a brushless twinstar II (specs http://www.tech-stew.com/post/2012/0...instar-II.aspx )
Thanks in advance
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Last edited by markm75; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:47 AM
Miami
Joined Dec 2001
1,641 Posts
abc

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75
I've been digging around at the idea of going with an OSD for my future Rangevideo 900mhz 500mw (kx191) setup? (btw, is the kx191 an ok camera, can it even be used in the dark fairly well)?

From everything i've read on here and the net, here seem to be the options:

elogger, complete OSD/GPS, $309 total plus (Fma copilot needed for return to home?) (if i just want to record to a file and later overlay this data, do i just need the main module, the altimiter and speed sensors?)

http://vimeo.com/5094076
http://vimeo.com/5023284

rangevideo OSD, these guys offer a $355 package, but it includes GPS return to home, which is great, but if i just want basic OSD that can be interfaced easily, its a bit pricey (though i think for $355 you must add fma copilot to it, so higher cost, and probably the same is true with elogger?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUp-H...eature=channel
http://vimeo.com/4834963

cheaper OSD, but again, not sure how it interfaces or if it does onboard recording of a file: http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentvu/altiosd.htm ($174 US)..

cheapest OSD, remzibiOSD, $117 or so total, even has some limitted GPS, but no return to sender (can this return to home be added on?)

http://vimeo.com/3734522
http://vimeo.com/4003083

Thanks in advance
reznikvova is offline Find More Posts by reznikvova
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Nice video posts..

I like the rangevideo way points and mah readouts on the battery..

The remzibi arrow, showing the point of origin is real nice too.. but on this OSD, with just voltage, what are the points for the flight battery/ video battery, where you would want to bring it down or how would you tell based on voltage alone, wouldnt you need an mah readout..

The autopilot thing is very interesting.. is this a result of interfacing with fma copilot (on any one of these OSD setups?) Does autopilot/return to home require any special plane hardware aside from the fma copilot type device?

And is there much calibration that must be done prior to take off on any one of these setups.. is it done with the push of a button or does it need hooked up to a laptop before you take off?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:41 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
EzOSD? Can't believe you guys overlooked that!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
EzOSD? Can't believe you guys overlooked that!

Cheers,

Sander.

ahh I was just about to post a link to nghobbies website for your osd

I just ordered the ezosd and antenna tracker from Zoltan it shipped this morning... couldn't wait for eagletree to come up with something after all

I'll post a review of the OSD/ tracker as soon as I receive them, got some pictures of your pan/ tilt for the antenna tracker Sander ?
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:39 PM
Dizi
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined Jun 2008
1,485 Posts
SSASSEN, is it in your projects to make a good stabilization system ?
Funjet2008 is offline Find More Posts by Funjet2008
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:07 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian
ahh I was just about to post a link to nghobbies website for your osd

I just ordered the ezosd and antenna tracker from Zoltan it shipped this morning... couldn't wait for eagletree to come up with something after all

I'll post a review of the OSD/ tracker as soon as I receive them, got some pictures of your pan/ tilt for the antenna tracker Sander ?

I see visually the differences between these various OSD devices..
but..

What is it that eagletree lacked that the EZOSD others dont?

Can someone point me to a video link for an example EZOSD.

I'm assuming its uses GPS data for "air" speed right.. ie: ground speed..

The remzibi and EZOSD are similarly priced, do they offer the same features.. Can all of these, rangevideo, ezosd, remzibi, elogger, all interface with cached google maps to generate a plot, either during or after flight too?

It also sounds as if Remzibi will interface with copilot and ardupilot in the near future after firmware update.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Markm, thanks for your post! I wish I had time to do a feature comparison matrix for all the OSD's out there. Maybe somebody with more time (and less bias!) than I can do this.

Here are some things that differentiate the OSD Pro from the others. Others will comment/correct any errors:

1) OSD Pro has voice announcements/voice warnings.
2) OSD Pro has graphical waypoints and distance to waypoint display.
3) OSD Pro has the "RADAR" feature showing where you are vs home, and vs your waypoints.
4) OSD Pro has full data logging capability, and includes software to graph and play back your flights.
5) Eagle Tree offers a wide variety of sensors to enhance the OSD Pro, including barometric altitude, pitot/static airspeed, G-force, and others.

Here are some specifics of the OSD Pro, that need clarification from some of the above posts

* Regarding RTH, the OSD Pro has built-in GPS based RTH, with no additional sensors required. We are working on enhancing RTH to use thermopile (FMA) sensors short term, as well as inertial sensors medium term. Additionally, we plan on adding stabilization using these sensors.

* We are developing the Eagle Eyes ground station that adds the following capabilities, when combined with the OSD Pro:
- full data telemetry to your PC, encoded in the video stream
- antenna tracking
- diversity
- video splitting

Goal is to have this shipping over the summer. More info on the Eagle Eyes is available here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048046

The lowest cost OSD we sell is the standard OSD, + our eLogger. This package is $69.99 + $44.99. It displays text of various parameters, + does full data logging. To this you can add GPS, and/or a variety of other sensors. It is described here:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/OSD/OSD.htm

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:46 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Markm, thanks for your post! I wish I had time to do a feature comparison matrix for all the OSD's out there. Maybe somebody with more time (and less bias!) than I can do this.

Here are some things that differentiate the OSD Pro from the others. Others will comment/correct any errors:

1) OSD Pro has voice announcements/voice warnings.
2) OSD Pro has graphical waypoints and distance to waypoint display.
3) OSD Pro has the "RADAR" feature showing where you are vs home, and vs your waypoints.
4) OSD Pro has full data logging capability, and includes software to graph and play back your flights.
5) Eagle Tree offers a wide variety of sensors to enhance the OSD Pro, including barometric altitude, pitot/static airspeed, G-force, and others.

Here are some specifics of the OSD Pro, that need clarification from some of the above posts

* Regarding RTH, the OSD Pro has built-in GPS based RTH, with no additional sensors required. We are working on enhancing RTH to use thermopile (FMA) sensors short term, as well as inertial sensors medium term. Additionally, we plan on adding stabilization using these sensors.

* We are developing the Eagle Eyes ground station that adds the following capabilities, when combined with the OSD Pro:
- full data telemetry to your PC, encoded in the video stream
- antenna tracking
- diversity
- video splitting

Goal is to have this shipping over the summer. More info on the Eagle Eyes is available here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048046

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree

**an overall OSD matrix would be an awesome thing on here, maybe showing whether each includes: GPS, return to home, weight, etc.

Nice I do like the ability to add other sensors down the road..

So it sounds like the 100amp pro package with GPS has speed and altitude right? (GPS based), so no need for extra sensors..

Does this pro model also show an arrow pointing back to "home" per say.

I'm assuming with your forthcoming telemetry PC ability, it will include google maps integration?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Mark,

Yes, the 100 amp Pro with GPS gives you GPS speed and GPS altitude. Over time, you may become annoyed with the shortcomings of GPS altitude (it can be finicky), and consider using our barometric altimeter as an option.

Yes, the OSD Pro has a home arrow, and additionally the "RADAR" icon points toward home.

Yes, we already have full Google Earth support. The OSD Pro's data can be downloaded, and exported into Google Earth after your flight. In addition, with the Eagle Eyes, you will have real-time Google Earth support. That feature is already completed and works with our dedicated wireless telemetry products.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
I worked up an initial matrix on these 4 products.. ill have to find a way to get it on here, so we can all add input and change it as needed..

Last edited by markm75; Jun 12, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 04:01 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
I worked up an initial matrix on these 4 products.. ill have to find a way to get it on here, so we can all add input and change it as needed..

If anyone can give me the values to some of the ?'s on the grid, this will help, or let me know if any of this is wrong, ill change it later on.

Thanks
Last edited by markm75; Jun 12, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 04:27 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks for doing this! Re ET, there is no need to solder/splice anything, and software to tweak/config the OSD is included. But, most of the OSD config can be done at the field with on-screen menus.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
367 Posts
In the matrix regarding Remzibi OSD and RTH/autopilot you do not need FMA CPD4 Co-pilot for 70$. In fact you would need FMA sensors (43$) + ArduPilot(24$) and firmware upgrade.
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:18 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
RVOSD weight 32g, This includes power management on board with voltage selection 5v//12V to camera and transmitter, voltage is filtered to remove interference coming form the ESC//motor.

Direction and distance to waypoint is included.

The best configuration for the RTH and AHI system is by adding the FMA heads, This will allow the autopilot to fly your airplane back on less than ideal conditions unlike the GPS only based autopilots. However RTH can also work with GPS only but you will have hard time configuring it. Up to date there is only videos showing successfull RTH from Dragon OSD and RVOSD, the rest are still working on that.

Note that the autopilot//AHI system does have provision to detect when the plane is flying upside down.

The cost of the complete RVOSD system is 335 USD this include:

External temperature sensor already included in the package in case you dont want to use the internal.

Finally we are working on a ground station that will add data logging + google earth + antenna tracking. The OSD is already sending the telemetry embeded in the video signal.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo